Scholarships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarships

I would like to hear opinions on this topic. In my discussions with various enities many have shown displeasure with the approach to the issue of scholarships. Those I have spoken to like the concept of going division one but but were disheartened when they feel it is the primary responsibility for outside sources to come up with the funding for scholarships. Many feel it is an istitutional or state obligation to come up with those dollars and that alumni and outside donors should help supplement projects that help enhance
    the schools primary comittment.

How long can you squeeze blood out of a turnip? What if football and basketball don't bring in the revenue thats expected, I'm sure those figures are anticipated, what if it doesn't happen?

Re: Scholarships

Originally posted by Joe Jackrabbit
    I would like to hear opinions on this topic.  In my discussions with various enities many have shown displeasure with the approach to the issue of scholarships.  Those I have spoken to like the concept of going division one but but were disheartened when they feel it is the primary responsibility for outside sources to come up with the funding for scholarships.  Many feel it is an istitutional or state obligation to come up with those dollars and that alumni and outside donors should help supplement projects that help enhance
    the schools primary comittment.

How long can you squeeze blood out of a turnip?  What if football and basketball don't bring in the revenue thats expected, I'm sure those figures are anticipated, what if it doesn't happen?  
    Joe,

Here is my opinion. I know there is some frustration with state support for SDSU. I understand it. The state of South Dakota gives USD $5 million dollars to fix up the Dakota Dome, and won't chip in a dime for our projects (restoration of Solberg Hall, Crothers expansion, Wellness Center, Performing Arts Center) but that is just how it is. If we waited for the State we would be waiting forever.

South Dakota State is a state assisted University. SDSU is fortunate that it's leaders are aware of this and that they have a great tool in the SDSU Foundation. I believe that the Administration has a master plan not only for our move to D-I but also for the entire University. So far most of what they have said has come to be. So I say let their plan work.

I don't like engaging in speculation, because someone can always speculate a scenario where we will fail. I/E what would SDSU do if a meteor fall and crushed both Coughlin-Alumni and Frost Arena? How would they pay to rebuild them? What would that do to the D-I plan? I am being a little ridiculous to prove a point. It is hard to satisfy a "what ifer" who does not want to be satisfied.

What if South Dakota was the only state not to have a D-I team (like we were before SDSU moved up)? What if the Men's basketball team knocks off a Big name team and the program becomes wildly popular throughout the whole State and region? What if we start selling Frost out all the time?

I really think that SDSU is moving in the right direction both Academically and Athletically. It has been said many times that this is a journey. I think we all need to be patient and let the plan work. It has been reported that Sid Bostic may reach the half way mark of $10 million (of our $20 million) goal this year. The plan was to raise the $20 million in five years. Not a bad start and certainly shows that we are not trying to "squeeze blood out of a turnip". So tell the people that you talk to that all is well with SDSU but we could always use a little help. At least that is my opinion.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Re: Scholarships

If I remember back to the approval by the Board of Regents of SDSU moving up to D1, one regent in particular, Harvey Jewett, boyhood friend of Bill Janklow and many ties to USD, indicated that the SDSU Foundation had the ability to get things done and for that reason he voted for approval.   So Alums are going to continue to be squeezed for some time to come.

One thing about the 40,000 living alums of SDSU, incomes are very unequal.  Some have done very well and have tax problems that we would all like to have. These problems arise from making big bucks.

One way to handle these tax problems is to make generous contributions.  We have people out there who will do that.   They have in the past and will continue into the future.

Going to a higher level of competition probably makes more sense to a sucessful alum in Philadelphia than it does to some one in Sioux Falls. The  SDSU foundation can go beyond the nay-sayers in Sioux Falls, Yankton, Brookings and where ever else they may be to raise funds for athletic scholarships.

One thing I would like to see in the foundation annual report is a breakdown in a given year between instate and out of state gifts for that year reported.  I think we would find a surprising percentage comes from out of state.  

So I am not swayed for a second about the upset alums that Mike Hendricksen has been talking to.  I would love to see the list of folks that Mike knows and how negative they are about moving to D1.  My guess this list would contain a number of people that have never given SDSU a penny for anything, academic or athletic purpose. This could easily be verified with an annual report from the SDSU foundation.

I think after the election, some of the things Sid Bostic is working on will be completed and announced.  The stock market is currently undervalued, and those who can afford to make significant contributions of stock equities are waiting for the bull market. Maybe the bull will come after the election.  Who knows! When equities are valued at there highest value, the contribution by the alum or friend of SDSU, has its maximum value and greatest amount of tax benefits.  These items all figure in and I believe Sid alluded to some of these points I am making here last spring at the Foundation Banquet.

Comment

Working...
      X