Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great news for Volleyball and Wrestling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great news for Volleyball and Wrestling!

From the SDSU website

09/15/2004
    NCAA grants SDSU reclassification request
    Two sports at South Dakota State University have been granted fast-track authority to compete in NCAA postseason competition at the Division I level.

The NCAA Membership Subcommittee on Friday formally approved SDSU's request to fully reclassify its women's volleyball and men's wrestling programs to Division I status beginning in the 2006-07 academic year. SDSU is currently in the second year of a five-year process of reclassifying from NCAA Division II to Division I. All other Jackrabbit teams will become eligible for NCAA postseason competition in the 2008-09 school year.

SDSU received notification from the NCAA on Aug. 12 that institutions reclassifying their entire athletic programs to Division I could have the option of selecting one male and one female sport other than football or basketball for fast-track reclassification. SDSU officials then completed the necessary paperwork and included the proposal in its strategic plan prior to the Sept. 1 deadline.

North Dakota State and Northern Colorado also have been informed that their requests for multidivisional reclassification of their wrestling and volleyball programs have been granted.

Re: Great news for Volleyball and Wrestling!

Here are highlights from the Argus story. This is GREAT news indeed! 8)

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article2.shtml

2 SDSU sports granted waiver
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 9/16/2004

Volleyball, wrestling able to compete in Division I postseason in 2006-07

BROOKINGS - Volleyball and wrestling will be the first sports in which South Dakota State can compete for a spot in the Division I postseason thanks to an NCAA-issued waiver.

Assistant Athletic Director Rob Peterson said Wednesday that athletes in those two sports will be able to qualify for their respective Division I championships in 2006-07.

"This means that any freshman who comes into the Jackrabbit wrestling or volleyball programs next fall and takes a year redshirt could qualify for all four of the years he or she competes," Peterson said. "This is just another step for us in pursuit of Division I excellence."

The NCAA Membership Subcommittee approved SDSU's request on Friday, allowing schools making the transition from Division II to Division I to fast-track one men's and one women's sport.

The rest of the Jackrabbit teams cannot participate in NCAA-sponsored postseason competition until 2008-09. The school was not allowed to change the reclassification timetable for football or men's and women's basketball.

"I don't really know what (the NCAA's) reasoning was and why they went with one sport each way," Peterson said. "Maybe to help out some of these reclassifying schools so they don't have such a long period."

It was welcome news for coach Andrew Palileo, whose volleyball team returned Sunday from a long road trip during which the Jacks earned the school's first Division I win.

Wednesday's announcement was another victory for Palileo, this time on the recruiting trail.

"I think just the opportunity to be able to do that really changes the mind-set of the girls I'm recruiting," he said. "I think we'll be able to get more quality players knowing that we'll be able to compete in just two years."

Former North Central Conference members North Dakota State and Northern Colorado, also in the transition to Division I, will allow their volleyball and wrestling teams to become postseason-eligible early as well. . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Despite our "inferior" facilities, lack of funds, and the perceived foolishness of our move to DI, things sure seem to be working out okay. Conferences are interested, schedules have come together, recruiting is going well, the NCAA is supporting us, etc...

I just have a hard time complaining about anything. Winning is important but winning right now is not absolutely necessary nor is it expected. Keep the good news coming.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It was also great to see the volleyball news that showed up farther down in the Argus Leader article. The Jacks went 3-1 against DI competition on their latest road trip! OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Working...
        X