• Back in the swing of things

Here are highlights from an Argus story on one of our golfers:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article2.shtml

SDSU's Jacobson is getting life back on course
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 9/23/2004

Jacobson back golfing after 19-month stint on active duty

In the back of Charlie Jacobson's mind, he always knew he could go back to college golf, even if the pressures of military life were tugging at his psyche.

Nineteen months after being called up to active duty in the Army National Guard, the senior from Watertown has returned to the course for South Dakota State, albeit in a nontraditional fashion. His time away from the Jackrabbit program has opened his eyes and smoothed out the kinks in his game.

"All my goals and career stuff was put on hold the last couple years," said Jacobson, who will join the Jackrabbits this weekend as they head to the Hawkeye Intercollegiate at the University of Iowa. "I've learned a lot about myself. I found a lot about what I want to do, and I have the opportunity to do it here."

The potential was there in his early career with the Jacks, as Jacobson tied for 16th at the 2002 North Central Conference tournament, carding the fourth-best score (280) on SDSU's league championship team at Oak Hills Country Club in Omaha. It was the school's first NCC championship since 1960.

And then came the call to duty. Jacobson, who has been assigned to homeland security detail at Air Force bases around the state, missed the 2003 spring semester and all of last school year while helping to protect weapons, planes and resources at the state's two bases. . . .

"I didn't really realize how big an influence he was going to be to the team because last year was my first year coaching," SDSU coach Jared Baszler said. "Him finishing second at the stroke play tournament was an obvious plus. I knew he was a good player." . . .

Since he began at SDSU while it was still a Division II school, NCAA rules allowed Jacobson a full year of eligibility because of his military service, even though he won't play in the spring. Had he began at a Division I school, sports information director Ron Lenz said, Jacobson wouldn't have been able to make his comeback.

Once he and Baszler agreed upon his return to the team this fall, Jacobson immediately displayed his renewed fervor. He won the Nebraska Wesleyan Invitational earlier this month, then followed that up later that week with a strong showing at the Fairway Club Invitational, which was hosted by the University of Nebraska.

However, Guard duties kept Jacobson from making the trip to the Kansas Invitational on Monday and Tuesday in Lawrence, Kan. . . .

"I definitely didn't see the whole picture (before being called up to the Guards). I was too focused in on the golf part of things," he said. "Now when I'm out there playing, I'm focused on golf, but I know the outcome of my round isn't very important in the grand scheme of things." . . .

Go State! ;D

Working...
X