No announcement yet.

Other rumors...any substance to these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other rumors...any substance to these?

In the last 10 days, I've heard rumors the UNO is definitely leaving the NCC...will join up with the Missouri schools et al (MIAC?). Another rumor: UND has hired consultants to advise the Sioux on a move to D-1 with the intended target date about two years from now.

I haven't seen anything official (press releases, etc) and am considering both comments unsubstantiated.

Does anyone have any substantiated facts on either point?

Re: Other rumors...any substance to these?

I heard that UND was going to D-I, but was going to make the announcement after hosting the the Men's BB Div. II Elite 8.

So no real substance.  Just what I 've heard, maybe somebody can dig up something.

Hopefully this does't hurt our chances with teaming up with NDSU as travel partners, as we try to find a conference. :-/

Comment

Both the aforementioned teams are on the record stating that they support DII and the NCC.

Why would NDSU want to team up with a school that would be post-season ineligible for at least three years more than NDSU?

If UND made the announcement after the DII elite 8, it would be a bit of a contradiction. "Yeah, we want to host a DII tourney, but afterwards we're DI." :

Comment

The UNO rumor about leaving the NCC and joining the MIAA probably has the best chance of becoming fact. The MIAA had 10 members until U Of Missouri Rolla dropped out making it now a 9 member conference.  Ten members seems to be the ideal for football scheduling.

What I see as the hobbles at UND is the agreement they have with the City of Grand Forks for use of the Alerus.  The terms definitely favor the City of Grand Forks.  I have not heard recently how this was worked out but they were haggling about this summer.

The other matter has to do with the Englestad estate, who seem to have their fingers deep into the  pockets of UND and without them UND would have problems. I dont see Betty being as generous as Ralph so thats another problem for them. I really dont think they have a very good accounting of where they stand.  UND has to deal with the Ralph management company in relation to the operations of the ICE Arena and now the Betty addition for women's basketball.  I dont know if this arrangement is working or not working. I would hope some of the UND fans who look in here will set me straight.  The Englestad involvement complicates things and makes it hard to develope a strategy for moving up to D1.  This Englestad involvement is my best guess for UND wanting to stay D2.

I sure going D1 will be more a likely option if NDSU and SDSU start pulling away some of the football recruits that they have landed in the past.  UND seems to have an endless tap to good and quick linebackers.

Comment

I hadn't heard the rumor of UND hiring a consultant to look at DI. Then again, UND produces a lot of gossip and rumors because their administration doesn't know how to communicate. Maybe I missed it.

For example, here's what the standard interview / press conference / letter to the NCAA from UND sounds like:

We aren't going DI. Period. Unless a certain other school is successful. Which they won't be. In short, we aren't going DI. Ever. Unless we do. However, if we do (and we won't) it'll be a completely and in all ways better situation than that other school.
          If UND's press conferences to announce that they aren't going DI or that they aren't going to schedule NDSU are any guide, UND is probably hiring a consultant to advise them how to stay in DII - with a goal of being a full member of DII at the end of three years.

You gotta admit, that's a goal that better fits their vision and ability.

Comment

Well, hold on a second... a UND guy told Bisonville about an interview with Roger Thomas in the UND school newspaper.

Here's the link

UND is definitely consulting with others who have made the move or who are moving. So it's not a rumor. Don't see how it can hurt SDSU's chances of getting into the Big Sky though.

Comment

After reading the article, UND would be smart to hire Carr to answer these questions for them. I think when you make internal studies, you may not get objective answers that could later create problems once the reclassification begins. It looks a ways off but yes their facilities with REA do look good for moving up to D1.

I think it will take a while for both UND, USD and UNO to make this move, even if they start tomorrow.

Comment

Interesting comments from the UND AD...they're obviously thinking about it. I have heard they hired consultants but I have not been able to determine is that is a fact.

My prediction (this is opinion, not fact): In the 2005-06 basketball season, NDSU and SDSU will have some well known teams on their basketball schedules. In 06-07, some big names will travel to Brookings and Fargo. UND will turn green with envy (they'll look good: it's their school color) and they'll announce the move to D-1.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                  UND will turn green with envy (they'll look good: it's their school color) and they'll announce the move to D-1.
                  Pink is their other official color (seriously), so what does that mean?

Comment

Working...
                  X