• Kim Bostrom Story

Here are highlights from the Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article2.shtml

SDSU senior reaches volleyball milestone
    Chris Solari
    Argus Leader

published: 9/30/2004

Bostrom becomes just ninth Jackrabbit to top 1,000 kills for career

As the South Dakota State volleyball team continues to soar into the Division I ranks, picking up victories against some big-named opponents, Kim Bostrom continues her personal ascent in the Jackrabbit record books.

The senior middle hitter went over the 1,000-career kill mark last week in a three-game sweep of Dickinson State, becoming the ninth player in SDSU history to reach the magical mark.

"It's something I never really thought about," said Bostrom, who passed April Swanson-Tordsen for ninth place in kills. "It just kind of came up on me. People kept telling me I was close all year."

Bostrom, a 5-foot-10 native of Circle Pines, Minn., owns 1,011 kills after SDSU's victory over Drake on Tuesday, and she also continues to push her name up the ranks in other categories. She sits third all-time in hitting percentage and moved into fifth place in block assists with 278 after a four-block game at Drake. She trails fellow senior Sarah Biggerstaff, who is fourth on the block assist list.

For the season, Bostrom is second with 143 kills and, more importantly, is one of three seniors who were part of the 2001 Jackrabbit team that went to the Division II Elite Eight.

"Any time you can reach a milestone like that, you know a player has been part of a lot of good teams," coach Andrew Palileo said. "The great thing about Kim and our other seniors is that they were here in that 2001 season and through a bit of a downturn last year. Even though last year, Kim has been able to get her kills and be a vital part of the offense."

Though undersized as a Division I middle, Bostrom has benefited from Palileo's rapid-fire, quick-set style of play. She has helped SDSU to some high-profile victories over teams like Texas-El Paso and Boston College in the Jacks' D-I infancy. . . .

"It's fun to look back at national and regional finals we went to and all the friends I've made," she said. "But I'm still looking forward to this season." . . .

Go State! ;D

Working...
X