Sylvan Circle Luncheon- Good News at SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sylvan Circle Luncheon- Good News at SDSU

There are some neat things going on at SDSU.  I became a member of the  SDSU Foundation Sylvan Cirlce when my gifts reach 5 grand, I believe. At any rate it got me a free lunch today at the old St Thomas More Catholic Church that was bought by an ordained Lutheran and converted into a banquet type facility and  now called the "Old Sanctuary.  

There are some great and positive things going on at SDSU.  VP Reger gave an update on all the campus construction going on including the Student Union and new residence hall and also Woodbine Cottage.  The new residence hall under construction is different in that each unit has 2 bedrooms and two students and kitchen faclities. It's not an apartment type like Berg Hall but sort of in between Berg and the traditional halls in terms of room area.  This residence hall, being close to Frost and other athletic facilites will house all the young people who attend athletic camps in the summer. I would think this should help SDSU become "South Dakota's Team".  

There was a very good report from a senior Engineering student who told about the patent search service that is being offered to inventors who need to know if their invention has an existing patent. This is a service that can cost thousands of dollars.  The engineering students are offering this service for about $150.00 and in the process the students learn about patents, inventions and how to make the search. This is a skill that some can carry to their first job and make big points with their employer.

Also there is the Enterprise Building that  has just opened and still not totally furnished that will house start up companies and help up to 20 companies at one time in getting started in operations. Avera Hospital in Sioux Falls is also housed in the Enterprise Building and will be working in health care research with existing departments on campus.

Lastly, the prinipal of Daktronics Allred Kurtenbach gave a presentation on the research park that is is east of 1-29 and south of Appleebees and the motels.  There are 8 companies in this park so far that will be moving to a new park that is diagonally east of the Performing Arts building.  SDSU Foundation has bought or it may have been donated about 160 acres for this research park.  I may not have all the details right, but I am happy to hear about a research park as it means more jobs and will support existing research at SDSU.

These are the good and exiciting things going on at SDSU.

Re: Sylvan Circle Luncheon- Good News at SDSU

Good news, thanks for the update.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Re: Sylvan Circle Luncheon- Good News at SDSU

I received similar info at a lunch meeting with Al Tuntland and Tim Reed from the SDSU Foundation. They report that fundraising for academics has never been better. The move to DI has increased the number and more importantly the quantity of current and future donations. The Jackrabbit garuntee is the most successful of its type at any university in S.D. and will continue to thrive.

Please consider donating an equal amount to the SDSU Foundation or your college of graduation at the time you donate to the Jackrabbit club. I always do and I hope someday to have endowments which will help support both.

The future remains brightest for SDSU and the people of S.D. who support its growth.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
      X