Clear All

• SDSU enrollment up, again

Still the biggest and the best and the gap keeps growing! ;D

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Wednesdayarticle5.shtml

SDSU, USD enrollments rise
    Peter Harriman
    Argus Leader

published: 10/6/2004

Other public universities see fewer students, losses in total number of credit hours

Enrollment increases this year at South Dakota State University and the University of South Dakota offset modest declines at the state's other public higher education institutions, allowing the system to essentially hold steady for the third straight year.

The Board of Regents released fall enrollment figures Tuesday. The cumulative head-count enrollment for state colleges and universities was 29,844, up from 29,533 two years ago and 29,716 last year.

SDSU had the largest in-crease, 393. A total of 10,954 students enrolled at SDSU this year, a 3.72 percent jump.

Full-time equivalency, a number based on total credit hours from all students that reflects how many students are taking a full academic load, was up 4.19 percent at SDSU.

Mike Reger, vice president for administrative services, said SDSU officials "are overjoyed with the enrollment figures" that are the result of "a continued effort on the part of faculty and staff to recruit good students and keep them in school by offering academic programs they are interested in." . . .

USD's head count rose by 203, to 8,120 from 7,917 last year. Its full-time equivalency was up 0.26 percent. . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: SDSU enrollment up, again

That's good news!! 8)

With the new Residence Hall being constructed, they are commited to growing the campus in the future.

Comment

That is great news. I think the administration and foundation deserve a lot of credit. I'm guessing that the Jackrabbit Guarantee and other scholarship programs have a lot to do with the university's growth. Yes, all the universities in the state are growing, but the gains of the last few years suggest that SDSU is getting more than its share of the quality students.

Comment

Actually, only SDSU and USD grew, all the rest lost ground.  The State system grew just slightly but only on the strength of the flagship Universities (primarily SDSU).

Go State!  ;D  

Comment

Kudos to all involved who made this possible. This increase and the DI move should help each other out. SDSU grew twice as much as USD.

State is 35% larger than the U and infinetly better. ;D

Who is SD's university??? :-X

Comment

SDSU has 36.7% of all students in the State (if I did my math correctly without a calculator). ;D ;D

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Up from 35.5% of the total last year ;D

Comment

I hate to correct our esteemed administrator (89rabbit) but South Dakota does not have two flagship universities. USD, if you visit their website, claims to be the flagship university of South Dakota. Of course they claim to be a lot of things. They are NOT a flagship university. They are simply a college in the town of Vermillion, South Dakota.

Comment

I used the term Flagship loosely because USD and SDSU are the only schools in the State of South Dakota that have a statewide mission, historically speaking. However I do see the error of my ways and will yield to Alumguy. I stand corrected. ;D

That brings a song to mind. I seem to recall that it goes something like this, Far across the plains of Brookings . . . ;D

Go State! ;D

Comment

When I was attending SDSU in the mid 80's, we were growing tremendously fast, and the Regents put the brakes on. SDSU would have topped maybe 13K by now if they hadn't been so dead set on us holding steady.

Comment

Working...
                    X