Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• north central conference & USD

College football climate

It's time to pay tribute to our sports-minded NCAA university, which has an exciting new direction and the leadership to make it happen.

No, not those nomads of the Great West Conference up in Brookings.

We're talking about the University of South Dakota, where athletic director Joel Nielsen and football coach Ed Meierkort have used a positive and open approach to return a simple principle to Coyote football.

Keep it fun, stupid.

Unlike John Austin, whose reign of terror threatened to suck the life out of the dome, Meierkort's more modest style has clicked with the community and, most importantly, his players.

With an expected win Saturday at Minnesota State-Mankato, the 22nd-ranked Coyotes will host St. Cloud State on Oct. 16 with a chance to go 7-1 for only the 12th time in the past 106 years.

Isn't it great to be in the North Central Conference?

Stu Whitney's column appears every Friday in the Argus Leader. Reach him at swhitney@argusleader.com or 977-3922.

Great North Central Conference and great USD football team? SDSU needs some of this spin on the Robinson guilty plea.

The conference is already in shambles and UND and UNO are also talking of leaving the NCC. Heck, the commissioner left for "greener" pastures at a small time DII conference in Florida.

At least the USD football team can finally enjoy some success in the NCC. In the old NCC - they wouldn't even be a .500 team. Even this year - they will finish with at least 3-4 losses.

Re: north central conference & USD

Stu does enjoy stirring things up. I hope he's being at least a little ironic.

"Isn't it great to be in the North Central Conference?"

I can think of about 16,000 people who will be at the SDSU-NDSU game Saturday night who won't spend one second thinking about the "great" NCC or about that "fun" team from South Dakota's Outhouse.

Meanwhile, 3,500 (maybe) will show up in Mankato for that NCC game of the week. Yippee!

Comment

Certain people at the Argus see trouble down the road in following the winners. Right now USD does have a few wins, but not really quality wins.  What Stu did not mention is that MSU-Mankato had hit bottom last year too and their new coach nows how to win.  They spanked UMDulth last week for USD to win this week is not a given. USD  could very easily lose in Mankato. So what we have then is a 5-2 team to face St Cloud in Fabulous Dakota Dome. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Based on the number of times USD shows up on this board, the rivalry continues even though the teams no longer play.

PS USD 30 Mankato 23

PS Beat the Bison. Have always been able to cheer for the Jacks against our friends from the north. Hopefully South Dakota will have D1AA and D2 bragging rights against the NoDaks

Comment

Everyone who hasn't already, needs to start ignoring imbeciles like Stu Whitney. Even if he was trying to be ironic about the NCC I doubt he even knew it. The NCC is what it is, a crumbling mid-level DII conference that resembles the NAIA. Either accept that or get off the pot. The NCC no longer matters on the national seen, sorry, just the facts. It will likely take the numb-minded argus staff some time to figure that out, but they will. 13K in Brookings tonight can't be ignored (as hard as you try). This may seem petty but its fact; at this time the U is inferior to SDSU (aways have been) and the argus is not adequately able to cover the premier up-and-coming DI university in the nation. Time to step it up losers, get on board.

I for one truly doubt the argus staff/management (outside of Solari) have the intelligents and more importantly the guts to understand the absolute priority that must be placed on SDSU right now. Someone please wake their lame-asses up. SD is not the underachieving, backwards place they want it to be. Have I said enough (Mike_H please respond with derogatory comment now).
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

*please use the smack board - the moderator

Comment

Moderator, this "SuperBunny" should probably be banned. I don't know what policy you guys want to set for your board but I've always thought the LOWEST thing you could do is pose as a supporter of another school in order to tear it down.

On the basis of his or her posts (all anti-SDSU in some way or another), the choice of his or her login name (SuperBunny), and the fact that they are posting from an IP address on the campus of USD, I believe that this is exactly what this person is doing. That's weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony
                Moderator, this "SuperBunny" should probably be banned. I don't know what policy you guys want to set for your board but I've always thought the LOWEST thing you could do is pose as a supporter of another school in order to tear it down.

On the basis of his or her posts (all anti-SDSU in some way or another), the choice of his or her login name (SuperBunny), and the fact that they are posting from an IP address on the campus of USD, I believe that this is exactly what this person is doing. That's weak.
                We all agree with you Tony but we are so use to this exact behavior from USD students, athletes, and alumni that we just let it slide. Best part is morons keep best company with other morons so the legacy of USD will remain intact forever.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

We all agree with you Tony but we are so use to this exact behavior from USD students, athletes, and alumni that we just let it slide.  Best part is morons keep best company with other morons so the legacy of USD will remain intact forever.
                  Actually it would be no loss if this entire thread were pulled. USD and the NCC are no longer relevant to SDSU one way or another.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    Actually it would be no loss if this entire thread were pulled.  USD and the NCC are no longer relevant to SDSU one way or another.
                    Also a good suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony

Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                      X