Here comes the equestrian team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here comes the equestrian team

SDSU is going to have a press conference tomorrow to talk about how we are going to stay  Title IX compliant.  If you look at the location, I think you might get a hint as to how we are going to do it.  

http://www.depotradio.com/sports.php

SDSU PRESS CONFERENCE…South Dakota State will host a press conference on Thursday, April 22, to explain the university plans for maintaining Title IX compliance.
    The press conference will be at 2 p.m. at the Pegasus Equine Center located just west of I-29 exit 133 ... go west on the highway 14 bypass a short distance to 25th avenue, . . . to Pegasus Lane.

Go State!

Re: Here comes the equestrian team

Looks like the Georgia Bulldogs have the best Equestrian program in the nation right now.  Oklahoma State is tough, too.  I think state has a good chance to be competative right away.

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/...uest-body.html
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Does this mean we will not have to drop baseball? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Lets build a Dakota Dome for football like USD so we can go through three decades of failure. ;D ;D ;D

As far back as 1993, the equestrian sport has been in the master plan. Dr Oien gave a presentation to the Alumni Council about the area surrounding Coughlin and the horse sport was part of the plan then. I know beans about horses except to get of the way when one of them and a rider is headed in my direction. If the interest is there and we have participation and resources, go for it.
      I feel the same way about men and women hockey.

Comment

I hope the equestrian course doesnt cut into the tailgating area. I'm planning on using it a lot in the future.

Comment

I wonder if NDSU will be adding Equestrian, as well? There's a horsetrack located on NDSU land, with a possible performance arena being built soon. ??? ;D

http://www.northdakotahorsepark.org/...amp;page_id=11

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
            I wonder if NDSU will be adding Equestrian, as well? There's a horsetrack located on NDSU land, with a possible performance arena being built soon.  ??? ;D

http://www.northdakotahorsepark.org/...amp;page_id=11
            After going to web site you provided, I would say it is a pretty safe bet.

Go State!

Comment

If I recall correctly equestrian is in the plans at NDSU. I'd like to start some equestrian smack with you guys, but I'm having a tough time coming up with some catchy put-downs. "My horse is faster than your horse" just doesn't quite cut it.

Comment

Here's a link that shows the schools that sponsor DI Equestrian- http://web1.ncaa.org/ssLists/sportBy...amp;division=1

Having basically no knowledge of Equestrian, I was somewhat suprised by some of the schools that sponsor it.

For smack, how about "My horse jumps higher" ???

Comment

Will the Equestrian Coach have his own show on local cable tv and when to season tickets go on sale? I guess I guy could come up with a number of funnies, but I believe that this sport is a great deal like figure skating and wrestling with a unique point system for accompolishing certain techniques in handling the horse.

I was just getting all the wrestling rules and point system down and wow got a new sport to learn about.

At Least SDSU did not have to drop baseball to meet the IX requirements ;D. I keep mentioning that for our USD vistors and members of this board.

Comment

"Nice donkey!" was the only Equestra-smack I've been able to come up with.

Comment

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3620

04/22/2004

SDSU Adds Coaches, Scholarships, Equestrian
                      South Dakota State University will add coaches, scholarships and one sport in its on-going commitment to remain in compliance with federally mandated Title IX regulations.

SDSU announced Thursday that it will add 9.5 scholarships in women’s sports next season as its first step in the move to Division I. There will be an increase of 4.5 scholarships in men’s sports.

Five new coaching positions will also be created over the next two years. That will include hiring a head coach and assistant coach for equestrian as SDSU moves towards competition in that sport starting in the fall of 2005.

Equestrian will be a women’s sports, with average squad size around 60. Thirty compete in each meet.

SDSU athletic director Dr. Fred Oien said the announced changes are part of an on-going program which has seen numerous changes since 1990. “The ground work for women’s athletics at South Dakota State was laid by previous leadership, people like Stan Marshall, Ruth Marske, Gerry Crabbs, Warren Williamson and Harry Forsyth all making sure there were opportunities for women and planning for continued improvement. And you can’t carry out such a plan without the vision and support of the administration with presidents like Hilton Briggs, Sherwood Berg, Robert Wagner and Peggy Miller.” . . .

The new coaching positions will include:
                      • head coach for equestrian (FY 2004-05)
                      • assistant coach for equestrian (FY 2004-05)
                      • assistant coach for track (FY 2004-05)
                      • assistant coach for track (FY 2005-06)
                      • assistant coach for swimming (FY 2004-05)

Because of Paul Danger’s resignation as head track coach, the sequence of new hiring will involve getting the head coach for both equestrian and track on board before hiring the assistants. In track, one additional assistant will be hired in each of the next two years.

The scholarship changes are part of a mandated plan which will have scholarships for men and women equal at 76.5 by FY2007. That will mean an increase of 35 from FY 2004 for the women and 15.5 for the men. The plan calls for SDSU to reach 90 scholarships for both men and women by FY 2010.

For next year, the increases for women by sport will go like this:
                      • basketball 10 to 12 +2
                      • XC/track and field 8 to 10 +2
                      • golf 0.5 to 1.0 +0.5
                      • soccer 10.0 to 10.0 no change
                      • softball 3.5 to 5.5 +2
                      • swimming 1.5 to 2.0 +0.5
                      • tennis 0 to 0.5 +0.5
                      • volleyball 8 to 10 +2

For men’s sports, the increases will be:
                      • baseball 3.5 to 4.0 +0.5
                      • basketball 10 to 11 +1.0
                      • xc/track and field 5.0 to 5.5 +0.5
                      • football 36.0 to 38.0 +2.0
                      • golf 0.25 to 0.25 no change
                      • swimming 1.25 to 1.25 no change
                      • tennis 0.0 to 0.0 no change
                      • wrestling 5.0 to 5.5 +0.5

Equestrian will start with five scholarships in FY 2006 and reach 15 by FY 2010.

Go State!

Comment

So I was listening to Craig and Mike this afternoon, on KWSN, and they were having a field day with our announcement that we added equestrian.  They have been making fun of it for almost the entire show.  More then once they said that the USD students were laughing at us.  So I sent them a little E-mail to let them know what I thought.  Here are the contents:

Craig and Mike,

I have been listening to your show and how you are making fun of SDSU adding Equestrian.  On more then one occasion you said the USD students are laughing about this.  Do you think USD's Baseball team finds it funny?  I don't think they are laughing.  You may not like Title IX but it is the law of the land and Colleges and Universities must abide by it or risk law suits (you know like USD).  SDSU is continuing to comply with title IX without cutting sports like USD, and MSU-M.  The Administration of SDSU should be applauded for not taking the easy way out.  You two may not consider Equestrian a "real sport", but I know that you both think Baseball is, and part of the price to keep all the mens sports SDSU currently sponsors is to add Equestrian. SDSU is the premier learning institution in the State and has proven it yet again. So you and the Students as USD can laugh all you want, please feel free to come up and watch the Jackrabbits play Baseball next Spring.

Comment

Way to go rabbit. Very well put !!

Comment

At first I wondered about adding equestrian, but after I saw  the other schools that sponser the sport I was all for it.  Very nice email by the way rabbit.  I might have to do the same, and I would encourage everyone else to as well.  As long as we are writing well informed letters, I think they will pay attention.  Plus if they get a lot of negative feedback for talking smack about SDSU on air, they might not do it anymore.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Fridayarticle1.shtml

SDSU adds sport, scholarships
                              Staff & Wire Reports

published: 4/23/2004

Jacks will field women's equestrian team

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State University will add equestrian as a women's sport and add 14 scholarships in men's and women's athletics as it moves to NCAA Division I competition.

The changes, made in part to meet Title IX compliance, will mean an additional 9.5 scholarships in women's sports and 4.5 in men's sports.

There will be two additional women's scholarships each in basketball, cross country/track and field, softball and volleyball, and one-half each in golf, swimming and tennis.

In men's sports, scholarship increases will be two in football, one in basketball, and one-half each in baseball, wrestling, and cross country/track and field.

SDSU athletic director Fred Oien said the announced changes are part of an on-going program which has seen numerous changes since 1990 . . . .

Equestrian will begin with five scholarships and reach 15 by fiscal year 2010. The average squad size will be around 60. Equestrian competition will begin in fall 2005.

"Our women know horses (and) are accomplished riders," SDSU president Miller said. "They've talked about this, they've hoped for this. It's just the right thing to do and the right time to do it, and I'm just so grateful that the Board (of Regents) gave us the opportunity."

One school official said the cost to add equestrian will be $400,000.

SDSU has a letter of intent to enter into a long-term lease as the primary tenant at the Pegasus Equine Center.

"There's a potential for us to actually do some academic

classes out here, like our light horsemanship, riding classes, those sorts of things," said SDSU assistant athletic director Rob Peterson, who has experience with the sport in his time spent at Fresno State.

Peterson said the school hopes to have an agreement in place with the Pegasus Equine Center by July 1.

Peterson said the school wants to add a larger riding arena and convert the current small arena into stables. The current stable capacity is 20 and SDSU wants to increase that.

"Our goal is to have 60 females participating in the sport," Peterson said. "Not every one of them will have their own horse but the university will also have its own stable of horses for outside competitions. We need to have those types of opportunities."

SDSU will bring a former head equestrian coach from Fresno State to consult school officials on May 7. Among the issues discussed will be academics, compliance, fundraising and athletic training.

"Our goal is to have a head coach in place by July 1 if possible," Peterson said. "We have actually submitted the paperwork to begin the process of advertising."

South Dakota is the 38th NCAA school in Division I, II and III to add equestrian to its athletic program. When that number reaches 40, the NCAA will then be able to offer anational championship in the sport.

Currently 15 Division I schools offer equestrian with the closest being Kansas State and Oklahoma State. In Division II, five schools - Minnesota-Crookston is the closest - field teams. A total of 18 Division III schools have equestrian and nearly all of them are located on the East Coast.

Additional coaching positions for women's sports will be a head coach and assistant in equestrian, two assistants in track, and an assistant in swimming.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X