License plates and flags too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License plates and flags too

In addition to hitch plugs, SDSU must have license plates and flags, too. I spend some time at Lake Okoboji in Iowa and I'm always impressed by the number of "Cyclone" and "Hawkeye" license plates and the number of school flags flying from docks...even Drake gets in the action.

I think the State and the School get a little bit of the license plate revenue in Iowa.

The license plates may require a change in state regulations but that should not be difficult to accomplish.

Re: License plates and flags too

Oh, we got flags!  Down here in Lee's Summit, Mizzurah, I've got neighbors with KU, K-State, Mizzou, and Nebraska flags on my block.

Yellow and Blue make a pretty good accent, if you ask me . . . I got mine at Prairie Graphics in Brookings.

Now, in the off season, I'm flying the yellow Gadsden "Don't Tread on Me" rattlesnake flag, but you can be sure when the footballs start flying and the basketballs start bouncing, the colors will be out.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think I need to contact Prairie Graphics and get myself a flag.  The license plates are also a great idea.  I currently have the plate frames, but the full plates would be much more visible.  Hey, Alumguy, talk to Fred or Jody or whoever, let's get the ball rolling now.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have an SDSU flag that I had made at the Brookings Summer Arts festival a few years back. It flys proudly during football and basketball season. I have noticed that the book store has a flag for sale also. I like the license plate idea, however living in Kansas I will have to be satisfied with the plate holder.

Go State!

Comment

SDSU flags can also be purchased at Sports Connection in Brookings and the SDSU bookstore (although last week,I didnt see any-perhaps they were sold out)My SDSU flags fly proudly on all game days (FB and M/WBB)in front of my house.  In the South, You gotta have flags... Its the first thing you do at the tailgate party. Well, actually its the second thing... after opening your beer. ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
            SDSU flags can also be purchased at Sports Connection in Brookings and the SDSU bookstore (although last week,I didnt see any-perhaps they were sold out)My SDSU flags fly proudly on all game days (FB and M/WBB)in front of my house.  In the South, You gotta have flags... Its the first thing you do at the tailgate party. Well, actually its the second thing... after opening your beer. ;D ;D
            White flags can be purchased at GSU's book store!
            ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

The Jackrabbit Club offers new members who donate $100 or more to the Jackrabbit Club an SDSU car flag.

Current Jackrabbit Club members increasing their annual donation from last year will also receive an SDSU car flag for an increase of $35 or more.

On game day everyone should have a car flag as they travel to Brookings to support the Jacks!

Contact Julie Ackerwold Smith in the athletic department for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Jacks
                The Jackrabbit Club offers new members who donate $100 or more to the Jackrabbit Club an SDSU car flag.

Current Jackrabbit Club members increasing their annual donation from last year will also receive an SDSU car flag for an increase of $35 or more.

On game day everyone should have a car flag as they travel to Brookings to support the Jacks!

Contact Julie Ackerwold Smith in the athletic department for more info.
                Agreed 100%! Down here car flags are a way of life. On Saturdays you will see Mizzou, KU, K-State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and even a SDSU flag flying. Pull into a game day parking lot and most cars have them. Then on Sunday they switch to their favorite NFL team. I would like to see more SDSU car flags the next time I park at Coughlin.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Living in Colorado, I am stuck with the SDSU license plate holder. But UNC, CU and CSU have offical license plate for purchase through their alumni office and they are real license plates. What are the odds the State of South Dakota would allow something like this? They seem to be very popular with alumni and fans but I also have seem my fare share of student cars with them. Anyone know how to the ball rolling on something like this? Here is a link: http://www.ar.colostate.edu/index.as...ervices_plates
                  We...ARE...STATE!
                  SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Can't wait for my new car flag!! The license plates need to happen. Can Gov. Rounds do anything?? I live out-of-state right now but would be happy to purchase plates for my family members who live in state. Someone should look into this (DI schools only!!!).
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I received a reply from V.J. Smith (SDSU Alumni Director). He told he has several emails regarding the license plates from SDSU alumni in Colorado suggesting the State of South Dakota create similar license plates as the State of Colorado has done for its alumni and fans for State Universities. He said he it was something SDSU Alumni Office will take a look at. I trust he will get the ball rolling. Hopefully SDSU license plates will flood the roads in South Dakota.
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Did a little checking and forwarded the following onto Micah Grenz. I thought we should get both the Athletic Dept and the Alumni group both checking it out.

Micah,
                        Has SDSU or the Athletic Department ever looked into getting the decals that
                        can be put on SD license plates? I'm thinking of the plates that you see with
                        the Pheasants Forever, YMCA, etc. decal and the abbreviated number. I know
                        that if want one of these plates, you pay an extra $10 or $15 bucks when you
                        get the plates, and then purchase the decals from the organization. I checked
                        the state laws about these, SDCL 32-5-136 through 32-5-139, and they require
                        that the organization get the decal approved by the Dept of Motor Vehicles.
                        The DMV then gets the deacal printed and the organization must purchase a
                        minimum of 100 decals from DMV. I have no doubt the SDSU could sell 100 of
                        these decals, and probably would have no problems selling 100 of SDSU and 100
                        of Jacks. I know that we would get 2 sets.

Thanks

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Got an email from VJ Smith regarding the hitch covers and license plate decals. I have requested information as to how we can express our preference on the license plate decals. My preference is the stretched SD logo, ties in both the academic & athletic portions of university and the students & alumni, while I think the Campanile mainly reflects the campus and athletics.

Here is VJ's message:

Thank you for the e-mail. Yes, we are moving ahead with both the license plate idea as well as the hitch plugs. I'm assuming the hitch plugs will be ordered this week. We should have them available within a month.

The license plates will take a little longer. The Department of Motor Vehicles must approve the design. I need to get approval from SDSU officials concerning the design. The two designs being considered are the Coughlin Campanile and the stretched SD logo. Hopefully that decision won't take too long. Then, we will make formal application.

I will save your email and keep you informed of any updates.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Just got another update from V.J. Smith on the license plate decals. It appears that they will be available in November and will have the stretched SD logo. The design has been approved by the University and should go through the State with no problem. After that it is a matter of them being printed up for sale. As soon as I get the info on a specific date, I will post it for everyone.

Comment

Latest word from Jim Speirs:

Patrick,

I hope the hitchcover has arrived by now. We are grateful for the number of orders we have received and look forward to seeing the covers flying down the highways of South Dakota.

You may want to know that the license decals have been ordered. It is our understanding that 2005 will be the last year in the cycle for the non-profit plates. V.J. Smith doesn't think it is fair to sell the decals for one year and then turn around and have people buy a new decal for the next cycle (2006-2010).

It looks like the Alumni Association will sell the decals for $50. It will be good for six years. The decals should be available by the middle of November. If people want the new decal they would have to go to the county courthouse and order non-profit plates. After doing this, they will need to contact the Alumni Office to order the SDSU decals. Again, this program will begin (hopefully) by mid-November.

Just a note on the $50 charge. Some people might think it is too high. Let's use Northern State for example. They sell the decals for $20. Then they send out annual renewals requesting $10 per year. After five years you would pay $60. V.J. thinks people don't want to be bothered every year for a $10 renewal fee.

I hope you can share this information with your SDSU friends.

Jim Speirs

Comment

Working...
                              X