X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 finalists for baseball head coach

From SDSU website:

Four finalists named for baseball coach
    South Dakota State will interview four candidates for the head baseball coach position next week.

The interview schedule:
    * July 5-6; Rob Bishop, head coach at Miles Community College, Miles City, Mont.;
    * July 6-7; Reggie Christiansen, assistant coach at the University of Kansas;
    * July 7-8; John Weber, head coach at Lakeland College in Sheboygan, Wis.;
    * July 8-9; Chris Calciano, head coach at West Chester University in Pennsylvania.

Bishop, who played at Jamestown College, was a graduate assistant at SDSU, earning his masters degree in 1999. He coached at Huron University, winning the SDIC title in 2000, then moved to Miles CC where he started the school's baseball program. Miles has won the MonDak Conference each of its four seasons, and Bishop has a 177-72 record as a collegiate head coach.

Christiansen has been an assistant (outfield) coach at Kansas the past two seasons after serving as head coach at Division III Menlo College in California. Christiansen played at Menlo, where he earned a bachelor's degree in 1998. He became that school's head coach in June 2001. He expects to complete his master's degree at KU in July.

Weber guided Lakeland to its fourth straight Lake Michigan Conference title in 2004. Lakeland qualified for the NCAA Division III playoffs in 2002 and 2003, finishing fifth in 2002. Weber has been conference coach of the year four times. He has coached at Lakeland since August, 1998. He earned a bachelor's degree at Lewis University (Ill.) in 1993, and added a master's at Benedictine University in Lisle, Ill., in 1996.

Calciano guided West Chester to the 2004 NCAA Division II playoffs, finishing with a 36-12-2 record. He was an assistant coach at Division I Drexel (Pa.) when that university dropped baseball after the 2000 season. At West Chester, he turned around a program which had won just 22 games from 1998-2000. He has guided the Rams to three straight 30-win seasons.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: 4 finalists for baseball head coach

I see one of the candidates is at Kansas. I've heard there's a South Dakota connection with the Kansas AD...his wife from here? something like that.

Comment

Does anyone know if or when the new SDSU baseball field or stadium will be completed? I am assuming it is being addressed. I am sure the coaching candidates are concerned about the lack of a practice facility, and Bob Sheldon Field cannot be a long term sollution for SDSU.
      We...ARE...STATE!
      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I believe one of the Argus articles mentioned that work was underway on the new baseball field and that the infield  was complete.  No Bob Shelden Field is not the answer. It was apparently a temporary fix. The performing Arts building took some Frost parking so the solution was turn Huether into a parking lot. That move was not popular amongst the diehard baseball people.

As far as the four candidates, all seem to be very qualified. I find the West Chester guy appealing as from what I have learned on the D2 football board, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference, though D2, is very tightly governed by the Penn Board of Regents. They dont want the PSAC to be competing with Penn State.  So this candidate in my opinion has made a winner out of a loser despite a very tight budget that he may have had to work with. It takes good coaching to accompolish what he did do.  Getting to the D2 World Series is a big deal. So from a coaching point of view he has the qualities that we are looking for, but how he would do at D1 without prior experience is an enigma.

I think all four will bring with them a recruiting network that we do not now have.  We cant go wrong here.

All four are without a doubt fitting replacements for a grand coach Mark Ekeland.

Comment

Opps I dont read everything right the first time
          Chris Calcinao from West Chester did have D1 experience at Drexel before they dropped baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
            I see one of the candidates is at Kansas.  I've heard there's a South Dakota connection with the Kansas AD...his wife from here?  something like that.  
            You are correct. The Kansas AD's wife is from Watertown. They meet when they were both going to school at the University of Iowa.

Comment

Interviews/campus visits were suppose to have wrapped up last week. Any news from campus regarding a new coach?? The sooner the better for a variety of reasons.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://www.wisinfo.com/sheboyganpres...21761698.shtml

Though he didn't become our coach, here is an interesting article about one of the final candidates in the baseball coaching search.

Comment

Working...
                X