X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volleyball recruiting

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-4479019c.html

Winnipeg student gets volleyball scholarship to South Dakota State

SETTER Nicole Peters of Winnipeg’s Westgate Mennonite Collegiate has accepted a full scholarship to play volleyball at South Dakota State University next season.

Peters, 17, is a 5-foot-10 co-captain and provincial all-star of the Westgate varsity team that went undefeated in its conference this season and was ranked in the provincial AAAA top 10. She was also captain of her Big Sand club team that finished third at last year’s national club championship. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Volleyball recruiting

Interesting. Cool I love Canadians that come down here to play for us.

Comment

Sounds like there could possibly be another girl coming down to play for us. Volleyball hits the recruiting trails again next week from what I hear. March isn't that far away and then whole team practices and spring tourneys. Sounds like we are hosting one, and going to Iowa, Minnesota and NDSU for other ones. Currently the team sits at 11 players after a kind of rough offseason.

Comment

I think they are sitting just fine even with the defection of the sisters. They both are very replaceable. They have some size coming in next year and thats what is needed to compete at a higher level. I'd be concered more with the shortness at the setter position. A setter can be really good, but setters these days in strong D1 schools are a bit taller than 5'7".

Comment

There's more than the sisters that left this offseason. A total of 3 other girls including one starter.

Comment

Who left then?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
              Who left then?

and more importantly, why?
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Elise Int' Veld left because she has a much better chance at being a 4.00 student, still at school here. Amanda Polzin, freshman starter left because she was close to the sisters. And Kathleen Hruska left because she saw the writing on the wall and wasn't the best of player.

Comment

Well, Hruska had left the team before and then came back when they had the injury in the MH. Polzin, was okay, yes she was a starter and did not make dumb mistakes but i dont remember a lot of "wow" with her but consistent. I think a couple of the other girls who put some time in in the OH position will hopefully be able to pick up their game and step in or maybe a newbe. And Elise good for her to go for her 4.0, she wasn't seeing a lot of floor time anyway, but good luck to her, that would be quite the feather in her cap. As much as you hate to see players leave for what ever reason, it happens, they still have a strong core and i see a lot of athleticism in the players that are still here, some just need to make better decisions when they get thier chance on the court. I remember the days of many loosing seasons, questionable talented players, not even making the NCC tourney...... Byrne turned things around and Andrew is keeping everything in the right direction (upward). :

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitz
                    I think they are sitting just fine even with the defection of the sisters. They both are very replaceable. They have some size coming in next year and thats what is needed to compete at a higher level. I'd be concered more with the shortness at the setter position. A setter can be really good, but setters these days in strong D1 schools are a bit taller than 5'7".
                    Sorry, I missed seeing this post earlier, but who are the "sisters" who defected???? Somebody enlighten me and thanks!

Comment

Jolene (Fr.) and Laura (So.) Slagter from Roseville, MN are the sisters being referred to as leaving the VB team. I don't have any insight as to why they left.......

Comment

Had a conversation with Phil McDaniel about this. All 5 players left SDSU on good terms. Polzin is looking at transferring elsewhere. Hruska, and the Slaughters' are on the USD team now. Hruska didn't want to be behind Rooney and Anderson on the depth chart. Elise left for academics and is still around the team. We had 5 open scholarships, 4 of them have been filled. We have 2 setters on the roster for next year. The girl from Canada is the 2nd setter. Elise really improved in her two years she was here. I wish them all the best.

Comment

I think bluehat creeped them out and scared them away. JUST KIDDING. Thanks for all the info. I have 2 young daughters and they love to watch the Jacks play. I hope to make it to more games this year. If you haven't seen VB at this level you are missing out.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I would also add that Andrew probably isn't the easiest coach to play for. He expects and gets alot out of his athletes. My guess is that they come in and see the level of commitment required and some don't have the stomach for it.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                              I would also add that Andrew probably isn't the easiest coach to play for. He expects and gets alot out of his athletes. My guess is that they come in and see the level of commitment required and some don't have the stomach for it.
                              Or maybe they left because they wanted a major SDSU doesn't offer. Or maybe they just didn't feel comfortable here. Or... well, who knows?

I don't think it's fair to suggest they couldn't hack it here. We don't know for sure why they left, but let's just wish them the best and cheer for whoever replaces them on the roster.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X