Clear All

• NCAA West Regional Qualifier

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...40/1002/SPORTS

Wrestling up first in quest for D-I title
    SDSU athletes could reach college milestone with qualification in meet

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: March 1, 2007

South Dakota State could qualify athletes for an NCAA Division I national championship for the first time in its new athletic era Saturday.

There's a chance that watershed moment could happen not on the mats at the West Regional wrestling tournament - but behind closed doors at the McLeod Center in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

The winners in each of 10 weight classes at the regional event - like those from the East Regional and nine conference tournaments - will earn automatic bids to the D-I championships March 15-17 at the Palace in Auburn Hills, Mich.

SDSU could earn a bid that way - although first-place efforts in the seven-team tourney won't be easy for a team in its first year of postseason eligibility. Host Northern Iowa has won the event 21 years in a row.

But any wrestler that places as high as sixth in a weight class could earn a wild-card spot, according to NCAA rules. Eleven wild-card bids to the national tournament will be awarded at the West Regional, with the coaches meeting immediately after the event to determine the recipients. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: NCAA West Regional Qualifier

They might have to rent dogsleds to get down there. :-/

Comment

The wrestling team is stuck in Brookings. They were supposed to depart this afternoon and they obviously can't leave due to the road conditions. I don't know what is going to happen now???

Comment

How about the equestrian team. I see they have Regionals this weekend as well. :'( :'(
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Mother Nature.

Not cool. > > >

Comment

What's the word? Was the team able to leave Brookings yet?

Comment

It looks like the Jacks have three wrestlers in the championship match and NDSU has 1.

157 Andy Everson vs Northern Iowa Moza Fay
              165 Ryan Meyer vs Northern Iowa Nick Baima
              HWT Jason Stripling vs Northern Colorado Reece Hopkin

Looks like we are in 4th place as a team out of 7 teams. NDSU is 6th.

Comment

That's awesome! Go Jacks!

Comment

Meyer and Everson lose in the finals, Stripling yet to wrestle.

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m...onal-2007.html

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                    Meyer and Everson lose in the finals, Stripling yet to wrestle.

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m...onal-2007.html
                    Stripling loses also. Hopefully the politics of the event allow these gentlemen to make history and go to the NCAA Championships.
                    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

SDSU finishes 5th.

UNI - 96.0
                      UNC - 73.5
                      Wyoming 56.0
                      NDSU 42.0
                      SDSU 37.0
                      Air Force 32.5
                      Eastern Illinois 28.0

SDSU had 3 2nd place finishers and 1 3rd.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

We may have some true second matches yet. As for politics, 20 plus wins this season should help a few of them out.

Comment

Looks like Meyer is going. One thing though....I think we covered this in another thread, we have had a couple guys go to the Div 1's.....Dorn and somebody else.....can't remember.

Three wrestlers finish second overall at NCAA West Region
                          CEDAR FALLS, Iowa — Ryan Meyer became the first South Dakota State student athlete to qualify for the Division I Championships as he placed second overall at 165 pounds Saturday to lead SDSU at the NCAA West Regional.

Overall, South Dakota State had three wrestlers post runner-up performances at the NCAA West Regional to place fifth overall in the team standings at the McLeod Center.

Leading the way for the Jacks was Meyer, a redshirt freshman from Garretson, who brought home second-place honors after falling to nationally ranked Nick Baima of Northern Iowa, 12-3, in the championship match of 165. Baima is currently ranked No. 5 in the InterMat/NWCA/NWMA Individual Rankings. In his semifinal contest, Meyer, who qualified on a wild card, downed Devan Lewis of Northern Colorado, 5-0. For the match, Meyer scored two takedown's and an escape point with 28 seconds remaining in the contest to secure the victory.

Read More:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,5784

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

Nice job Jacks!

Comment

How long ago did they stop allowing the D-II national champs to wrestle in the D-I's?
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                              X