Wrestling at national championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestling at national championship

I believe if you go to http://broadband.espn.go.com/espn360/ you can watch the wrestling championships on your computer if you are away from the tv next weekend.
    03/16/2007
    11:00 AM ET NCAA Wrestling Championship on ESPNU presented by Enterprise Rent-A-Car
    7:00 PM ET NCAA Wrestling Championship on ESPNU presented by Enterprise Rent-A-Car
    8:00 PM ET NCAA Men's Swimming And Diving Championship

03/17/2007
    10:00 AM ET NCAA Wrestling Championship on ESPNU presented by Enterprise Rent-A-Car
    8:00 PM ET NCAA Men's Swimming And Diving Championship
    8:00 PM ET NCAA Wrestling Championship on ESPN Presnted By Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Re: Wrestling at national championship

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...38/1002/SPORTS
    Taking on the best
    SDSU grappler headed to nationals

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: March 15, 2007
    If Ryan Meyer is even the least bit intimidated by the seismic parameters of the NCAA Division I wrestling championships - 330 wrestlers from 74 schools, eight mats and 18,000 fans in one arena, the Palace at Auburn Hills, Mich. - he isn't letting on.

It can't be much different than, say, the AAU junior nationals, right?

That kind of calm - calculated or not - has helped the 165-pound Meyer earn a place amidst the chaos of the country's premier college wrestling tournament.

"He's a quiet kid," South Dakota State coach Jason Liles said. "He doesn't really understand what's going on. He thinks he's wrestling at the Parker Invite or something."

Not exactly prone to exaggeration himself, Liles described the scene at nationals simply as "nuts." He has missed only three Division I championships since 1978, but he hasn't coached in the event since 1984 and the Jackrabbits haven't been represented there since 1988, when Division II champs were allowed into the field. Meyer, a two-time South Dakota high school state champion from Parkston, is the first national championship qualifier in SDSU's Division I era, adding an historic note to the event.

He won't be alone, however, as a group of teammates, who, in 20-120 second intervals for 30 minutes at a time, took turns summarily working him over during recent practices, hopped in a car bound for Detroit after class Wednesday. Liles hopes the road trip will fuel their futures.

That Meyer (23-9) became the Jacks' first qualifier, even as a redshirt freshman, was not a surprise. Liles has high hopes for that class, and Meyer's progress has been accelerated through daily competition with senior Nate Althoff, a second alternate to the event at 174 pounds. According to Liles, Meyer is exceptionally strong - only recently adding regular weight training to a strength regime established by working on the family farm - and defensive for a freshman.

Comment

Anyone know where the results are updated and how often?
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

here is the website...results will start this afternoon

http://www.wrestlingmall.com/htmls/r...p;Last10days=1

Comment

Ryan Meyer lost his first match 5-1 but I heard it was much closer than the score would show. He wrestles again tonight in the wrestlebacks.

Comment

Ryan lost his 2nd match 5-4...got taken down with 25 seconds left in the match. Unfortunately he is done. Thankfully he's only a freshman...I'm sure he'll get another chance at this tournament!

Comment

Congratulations to Ryan. He could have chosen Augie or some other DII school and competed for national titles right away. He decided to push himself and chose SDSU. I look forward to watching him develop over the next couple of years.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
              X