X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Softball to open new Stadium

http://www.gojacks.com/

Jackrabbit softball opens home season

The Jackrabbit softball team is slated to open the home portion of its schedule by hosting a three-game series against North Dakota State.

SDSU will open its new home field at 5 p.m. Friday. The Jackrabbit Softball Stadium is adjacent to Coughlin-Alumni Stadium on the northeast corner of campus. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Softball to open new Stadium

It had better quit raining! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Anyone heard if it has been postponed or not?

Comment

I hope this game isn't against Wisconsin LaCrosse . . . :-/

Comment

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,5874
          Rain in Brookings forced the postponement of the scheduled three-game weekend series between South Dakota State and North Dakota State.

The teams will make up two of the games in a double-header on Friday, April 20, at 3 and 5 p.m.

The Jackrabbits return to action, weather permitting, on Tuesday, when they open the home schedule with a double-header against Dakota State.

First pitch from the new Jackrabbit Softball Stadium is scheduled for 3 p.m

Comment

Bummer.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...35/1002/SPORTS

SDSU softball ready for a home field

By Terry Vandrovec
              tvandrovec@argusleader.com
              Published: April 3, 2007

BROOKINGS - It's been at least seven years since the South Dakota State softball team has played its home games at an on-campus facility, although for nearly half that time one has been under construction.

Grading work for the Jackrabbit Softball Stadium, located just north of Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, began in the fall of 2004 and the project remains incomplete.

Instead of the permanent grandstand and enclosed press box that are depicted in the teams last three media guides, there are sets of temporary metal bleachers. The above-ground dugouts are lacking cover, cement footing and block walls. The parking lot is a muddy mess devoid of paving.

Nonetheless, the playing field itself has been ready since this fall and the Jacks (10-18) are scheduled to make their home debut at 3 p.m. today. Of course, that was supposed to happen twice last week, too, and weather got in the way.

"It'll be good to get out there and show people we've been playing some of the best teams in the country," SDSU senior catcher Steph Kuhl said. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

The 2007 media guide has a nice rendering of the softball field and an overhead view of the new softball stadium, a new baseball stadium, a new indoor facility, and a rebuilt Coughlin.  This is from the athletic master plan that has been discused on here before. Link to media guide: http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...uide/Index.cfm

Comment

said SDSU assistant coach Beth Rohlena, who handled interview requests directed toward head coach Shane Bouman.
                  Apparently our esteemed head coach was either too busy or is too pissed off that his field isn't done to talk to the media. I'm going with the latter, which IMO is the wrong way to handle things.  Nut up and be a head coach, talk to the media and say the nicey-nice.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                    said SDSU assistant coach Beth Rohlena, who handled interview requests directed toward head coach Shane Bouman.
                    Apparently our esteemed head coach was either too busy or is too pissed off that his field isn't done to talk to the media. I'm going with the latter, which IMO is the wrong way to handle things.  Nut up and be a head coach, talk to the media and say the nicey-nice.
                    You got all that from that one line?

There could be any number of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                      [quote author=CatchEmAll link=1175208365/0#8 date=1175646615]
                      You got all that from that one line?

There could be any number of reasons.
                      [/quote]
                      I have to side with CatchEm on this one. I have heard from various people on the team that Shane is pretty pissed off about this project from hell. If the rest of the money to finish this showed up ever we would have one hell of a softball stadium.

Comment

I can't blame Coach Bouman for being upset over the situation. He sees millions of dollars spent on a state-of-the-art facility for a new sport (equestrian) and the home for his existing program only gets incremental progress. He has stated recently that the lack of a proper home field has been a hinderance for recruiting and he may have decided not to talk to Terry in order to avoid further "flaming" of the situation....

Comment

If he's pissed, he's pissed. If he's busy, he's busy. I can see where he would be busy and I can see where he would be pissed.

A six year and counting project that probably should have been finished four years ago would piss any one off. Especially when the money to finish said project goes somewhere else. Somewhere that is thought of as more important than women's softball. Right or wrong the criticism goes both ways on this one. Defering comments to your assisstant coach is probably not the best way to handle things, nor is the way the administration has handled the situation, making promises and plans that they haven't followed through on.

Comment

I think that field is a joke right now. The actualy surface is nice but the dugouts aren't even completed. They put up ones that will make due until they finish it. I completely understand why he'd be pissed off.

Comment

I'm not saying he has no right to be pissed. But, IMO, the worst way to drum up support for your program is to avoid the media. Terry's done a fantastic job of covering SDSU since he arrived and I would think that any head coach on staff would go out of their way to talk to Terry and get some good publicity.

A simple way to handle it would have been:

It's unfortunate that the field isn't 100% complete yet. We're excited to be back on campus so that our players and fans have a great experience with our games. I'm confident that when the stadium is complete it will be a show piece for our department.
                              Someone let me know when the baseball coach avoids the press just so I'm not singling out Shane over stadium issues.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                              X