Former Coach Bouman Article??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Coach Bouman Article??

Has anyone been able to find the article in the on-line version of the Argus regarding former Jackrabbit head softball coach, Shane Bouman?  I've only been able to read the print version.
    Looks like he has taken the assistant softball coaching position at the University of Iowa and had some interesting quotes in the article also.

If anyone can find it, please post it.  

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: Former Coach Bouman Article??

I like you got the print verison. I know Terry reads this board so if its a oversight at the Argus, Terry will get it fixed. Very interesting article. Towards the end Terry makes mention of the fact that nearly every women's sport has a male head coach except for one, I suspect that is equestrian.

It certainly makes me wonder if gender equity amongst coaches is an issue and Coach Bouman may have been a victum of circumstances. In other words, he may have been the sacrifical lamb in order to hire a female head coach in order to be in with NCAA guidelines.

Granted Boumans his win-loss record was less than 500 but so is Coach Nagy's record for D1, and he is still around. So hard to tell what all went into this decision not renew the contract. I wish I had never read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
      I like you got the print verison. I know Terry reads this board so if its a oversight at the Argus, Terry will get it fixed.  Very interesting article. Towards the end Terry makes mention of the fact that nearly every women's sport has a male head coach except for one, I suspect that is equestrian.

It certainly makes me wonder if gender equity amongst coaches is an issue and Coach Bouman may have been a victum of circumstances.  In other words, he may have been the sacrifical lamb in order to hire a female head coach in order to be in with NCAA guidelines.

Granted Boumans his win-loss record was less than 500 but so is Coach Nagy's record for D1, and he is still around. So hard to tell what all went into this decision not renew the contract. I wish I had never read the article.
      He wasn't a sacrificial lamb. It was a tough decision for the administration, given the fact he is one of us. But his comments on the facilities in the article reveals a mindset that doesn't recognize the need for a bit of patience. After all, softball got a home field to play on, baseball doesn't have theirs yet. The actual money afforded the facility was more in the neighborhood of $250,000, and not one single gift was designated for a softball facility. The equestrian building (and the sport has no reasonable alternatives in the interim like softball and baseball) is funded entirely by private gifts. If you want another clue, compare the beginning and end of year rosters, and year to year rosters for the program. I really like Shane, and wish him the best in his new role at the University of Iowa. He can be a little authoritarian and his new role may be a great spot for him. I certainly hope so. He is right...SDSU gave him an excellent opportunity to move his career forward. And I know he will always be a Jackrabbit at heart!!!

Comment

Jack#1fan:

Thanks for the insight. I might have read too much into Terry's closing coment about having 13 male coaches, in fact I got it wrong the first time when I made reference to women's sports. I never heard of Title X1 affecting the gender of coaches, but would not be surprised that there are some requirements. If the best candidate chosen is a woman, I will be very pleased.

Also recognize that head coaches have been all been asked if not directed to be involved in fund raising. I heard a comment from another staff person about this not happening 100 per cent, so that comment plus Terry's article makes the picture a lot more clear in my mind. If anyone wants me to elaborate further, send me an IM.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
          Also recognize that head coaches have been all been asked if not directed to be involved in fund raising. I heard a comment from another staff person about this not happening 100 per cent, so that comment plus Terry's article makes the picture a lot more clear in my mind. If anyone wants me to elaborate further, send me an IM.
          I can only guess that the "It's-not-my-job"-ers came crawling out after this request. I'll refrain from getting into how I really feel about that notion.

Good luck to Shane.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll

I can only guess that the "It's-not-my-job"-ers came crawling out after this request.  I'll refrain from getting into how I really feel about that notion.

Good luck to Shane.
            Ditto.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
            X