EARLY SIGNING PERIOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EARLY SIGNING PERIOD

Some interesting signings on the first day of the early signing period. In addition to the three NDSU recruits reported over on Bisonville our instate rivals have signed some players:

Augustana-Tom Ver Douw 6'8 Bismarck

USD-Colby Fitzgerald-Dell Rapids
    Justin Little-Castlewood

UND-Daniel Harkins-6'2 guard out of Portage Wi

I understand SDSU is interested in Marcus Uhlenhopp a 5'10 guard out of Allison-Bristow in Iowa. I haven't heard of any other SDSU recruits. We seemed to be fixated with Iowa kids. Are there any other kids out of South Dakota that have DI talent. I understand the Krabenhoft kid out of Sioux Falls is leaning towards Univ of Minnesota. There is a lot of D1 talent in Minnesota that has been going to Iowa State and UNI.

Re: EARLY SIGNING PERIOD

NDSU has also signed 3,  Here is a cut and paste from Bisonville and Jeff Kolpeck column in the Fargo Forum.
    The most recent signing was Ben Woodside, Albert Lea Minnesota.   One of the other signings was Tom Lunde 6-10 from Ulen-Hitterdal, Minnesota. Coming from a town like that you have to be eater of Lutefisk and Lefse. I bet Augie was after him.

From Jeff Kolpeck:

"Ben Woodside came into this summer a virtual unknown to most college basketball programs. By August, he was a hot prospect.

The 5-foot-11 senior guard from Albert Lea, Minn., verbally committed to North Dakota State. He said the fact NDSU is moving to Division I was a major reason for his decision.

He's got a lot to offer,; said Albert Lea High head coach Matt Addington. ;Athletically and skill-wise, he's ready to step right in and be a contributor right away.

Woodside's recruiting stock took a big jump over the summer when he played on an AAU team for the first time. He led the Minnesota Select team to the silver championship at the Kentucky Hoopfest and to a 4-1 record in the adidas Big Time Tournament in Las Vegas.

That caught the eye of North Carolina Wilmington, Wichita State, Illinois State, Missouri-Kansas City, Indiana State, Cal Poly and Minnesota, according to the College Basketball News.

He came into this summer without a lot of hype and came out with a big exclamation point, Addington said.

Woodside averaged 23.5 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists as a junior.  End of quote

I'm not suprised about Justin Little going to USD. Chad Lavin, women's BB coach is his uncle he married a sister of Justin's father.  Also the lady Lorna Jost who started the Anti-D1 petition a year ago is aunt to Justin as well. Some vested interest was at heart in that petition that went no where with President Miller nor the BOR.

Also from Bisonville is a direct link to NDSU offical site

http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/n...dex.cgi?id=781

Comment

I knew about Colby Fitzgerald deciding to go to USD, I have some connections to his family. He's a pretty good kid, SDSU recruited him but he apperantly felt that he didnt want to endure the rigors of a D1 travel schedule. I have a feeling (and this is only a guess) that there were coaches and some family members with close usd connections influencing him as well.

Comment

I always have a tendancy to get uptight when early signing happens, but I'm not sure why. Nagy ALWAYS out-recruits everyone else in the conference year in and year out.
        Something else I left out from the previous post on Colby Fitzgerald, I heard that he felt that if he went to SDSU he wouldnt be able to compete for a spot until later in his career due to SDSU's depth, at USD he thought that playing time would come sooner and be more plentiful-He is probably right about this fact.
        I still think he made a bad choice.

Comment

I think we will see more of this where in-state kids will choose USD and Augie over State based on playing time. I think we should be more concerned over not getting 6'11 Steve Smith of O'Gorman or what other D1 calibre talent in the state is doing such as the Krabenhoft kid from Roosevelt who Univ Of Minnesota is persuing heavily. The bar has risen and we need to raise our expectations. We should no longer be competing with USD for kids but rather area D1 schools.

Comment

A nice signing for the Jacks with Landon Scott of Sioux City committing to the Jacks for next year. All time leading scorer in Sioux City breaking Kirk Heinrichs records who starred at Kansas and now starts for the Bulls. If you look at the Iowa Preps site the Jacks have now scored 5 of the top players. He is currently at a Junior College in Cedar Falls. I thought he would go to Northern Iowa.

Comment

Jackguy,

That is great news, do you have a link to the Iowa site? So is he in his first year at that Jr. College (do we get 2 or 3 years with him)? Thanks for the update.

Go State!

Comment

We get him for 3 years. The site IowaPreps.com and go to Basketball and Players to watch in 2002 and you will see our four freshman from this year Wenig,Loney,Green,Beran and now Scott. I first heard it on WNAX and Steve Imming and its now on the Jacks website. We are getting some good talent out of Iowa. Now if we could start getting some of the big names out of South Dakota that are hitting the road for other D1 programs. I assume we will also go after the some Junior College players as we lose 5 players this year in Cervaney,Schantz,Richardson,Melaney,Gass.

Comment

Does anybody know if there is a sight like this for South Dakota? How many SD players go on to play DI in different states. The only one I can think of is Jared Reiner at Iowa. I also heard of a kid out west going to Lamar or something. Anybody have any information on SD recruits this year?

Comment

Over on e.griz they have posted that Matt Martin Point Guard fromSpearfish signed with them. That is the only SD kid that I have read about lately.

Go SDSU!

Comment

As I posted previously 6'10 Steve Smith of Sioux Falls O'Gorman is headed for Creighton and the Krabenhoft kid from Sioux Falls Roosevelt is the most highly touted South Dakota recruit since Mike Miller. He is considering Minnesota and Wisconsin. I've heard that he is Minnesota's #1 target. Too bad State can't get some of these kids but I do understand that if you have an opportunity to play in the Big 10 or Missouri Valley you go for it until SDSU esstablishes itself in a conference.

Comment

You can check out recruting databases at The Insiders, Rivals, and Fansonly websites. I think only Rivals requires a membership.

This link gets you to the insiders
                        http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=10

C NR Steve Smith
                        (O'Gorman HS)
                        Sioux Falls, SD 6-11/-/16.0 - - Committed to Creighton
                        PG NR Matt Martin
                        (Spearfish HS)
                        Spearfish, SD 6-0/170/- - - Committed to Montana

SF NR Joe Krabbenhoft - 4 Stars
                        (Roosevelt HS)
                        Sioux Falls, SD 6-7/210/15.0 - - Creighton, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin

________
                        NOVITEC ROSSO
                        Last edited by CycloneJack; 02-15-2011, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X