Pepsi Tip-Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepsi Tip-Off

Well the Pepsi Tip-Off is up next. We should have a fairly easy time with a couple of middle of the pack NSIC schools. Minnesota-Duluth is picked 3rd in their conf., while Southwest Minnesota State is picked 5th. Here is a link to the "latest news" segment of the Basketball page. Good Luck in Mankato!

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...s/19674/03.pdf

Go State!

Re: Pepsi Tip-Off

Our NCC brothers have been taking it on the chin (other then St. Cloud, and UNO).  Looks like we are going to need to uphold the Conf. honor this weekend.    Here is a link to the NSIC, not pretty.   :-[  

http://www.northernsun.org/Sports/Ba...ults111903.pdf

Go Rabbits!   ;D

P.S. here is the linkto the NCC:

http://www.northcentralconference.or...21b12d1033.pdf

Comment

Here is a short story, from the Mankato Free Press, about the teams playing in the Tip-Off:

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spor...p?storyid=8592

November 21st, 2003

Tip-Off ClassicMinnesota State

The Mavericks are coming off a 15-13 season, making a six-victory improvement from the previous season. But with many new faces on the team, chemistry will be key.

Matt Margenthaler is in his third season at Minnesota State with a record of 24-30. Senior Josh Ziemke is the only returning starter, averaging 10.5 points and 5.1 rebounds. Jamel Staten, a transfer from Northern Illinois, figures to be the top offensive player.

Minnesota State plays Southwest Minnesota State tonight and Minnesota-Duluth on Saturday. Both games are scheduled for 8 p.m.

SW Minnesota State

The Mustangs, playing in their first Tip-Off Classic, are 1-0 after defeating Crossroads College 99-90.

Southwest Minnesota State was 17-11 last season, 13-5 in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference. Greg Stemen is in his third season with the Mustangs with a 38-19 record. Senior guard Jared Keaveny is the top returning scorer, and he scored 16 points against Crossroads. Freshman center Jeremy VanKlompenburg had 16 points and eight rebounds.

Southwest Minnesota State plays Minnesota State 8 p.m. tonight and South Dakota State at 3 p.m. Saturday.

South Dakota State

The Jackrabbits, who are rated No. 5 in NCAA II, are playing in their first Tip-Off Classic. This will likely be the last, with South Dakota State moving to Division I next season.

SDSU is 3-0, having won the Disney Tip-Off Classic earlier this month. Coach Scott Nagy is in his ninth season with a 186-52 record. Andy Moeller is averaging 19.7 points, while Matt Jones is averaging 13.7 points and 9.7 rebounds.

South Dakota State faces Minnesota-Duluth today and Southwest Minnesota State on Saturday, with both games at 3 p.m.

Minnesota-Duluth

The Bulldogs, who will join the North Central Conference next season, are making their first appearance in the Tip-Off Classic. Minnesota-Duluth is picked third in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference preseason poll, coming off a 19-12 season which ended in the national tournament.

The Bulldogs are coached by Gary Holquist, who has an 85-63 record in six seasons. Sophomore guard Sean Seaman averaged 12.2 points, 4.7 rebounds and 4.5 assists last season.

Minnesota-Duluth takes on South Dakota State at 3 p.m. today and Minnesota State at 8 p.m. Saturday.

Comment

"Crossroads College" is that a university, or a 12 step program??

Comment

JACKS continue to roll 102-84 over a good shooting UMD team. Got a chance to see the game in person and would say its rare a team like UMD makes 14 threes and still loses by 18. Joe Green freshman started and played well. He can post up and shoot the 3. Jones was dominate making both inside and outside shots and grabbing a lot of rebounds. The other person who stood out was Ricahrdson who had numerous steals,rebounds assists. I've never seen a guy his size who can rebound and get position like him. The three freshman played a lot and played well. Beran had some good minutes. Cervaney played a little but is still a little gimpy. It was hard to get our big guys like Cervaney,Melaney and DeJong in as they were a perimiter team that launched a lot of long shots and made most of them. We just wore them down with our depth. We are traveling with 14 guys and have a good rotation going. It's going to take a very good team to beat us. Jacks were up by 11 at the half and UMD came out smoking and cut the lead to 1 within a few minutes and then the Jacks just coming with their depth and wore them down. It was strange to see Austin Hanson in a Maverick sweatsuit. Good contingent of Jack Fans at the game even with the looming snowstorm! Wait till you see this team.

Comment

Jackguy,

Thanks for the report. I can't wait for the Tampa game (my first chance to see them play). I am looking forward to tomorrow's game. There is a Mustang fan over on Bisonville who needs to be tought a leason.

Lets go Rabbits!

Comment

Wow look at those Freshmen go! Here is the site if you want the box scores. The Jacks are looking GREAT!

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...cfm?Id=73,3242

Jones, Green, Richardson Lead Jacks
              Matt Jones scored 26 and freshman Joe Green added 20 while senior point guard Marquise Richardson had a triple double as South Dakota State defeated Minnesota-Duluth 102-84 in the opening round of the Pepsi Tip-Off at Mankato Friday afternoon.

Richardson had the first ever triple double in SDSU history, with 11 points, 12 assists and 10 rebounds. He also had a team-high four steals.

SDSU jumped out to an 11-2 lead, trailed 18-16, then battled to a 48-37 halftime lead. UMD came back within one, at 53-52, but Matt Jones had back-to-back baskets and Green added another as the Jacks went up 59-52.

It was 65-60 when the Jacks went on a 12-0 run, and the Jacks built the lead to 85-65 on a three-pointer by Derrick Schantz with 6:47 to play.

Jones hit 9-of-13 field goal attempts and also had seven rebounds while Green - freshman from Waverly, IA, in his first collegiate start - was 9-for-16 with eight rebounds. Andy Moeller added 13 points and freshman Jake Wenig hit 3-of-4 three-point shots.

SDSU is now 4-0 for the season and will face Southwest Minnesota State in the 3 p.m. game Saturday.

UMD, which played its season's opener, was led by Dusty Decker, with 23 points, while John Emerson hit 7-of-9 field goal attempts and scored 19. Decker and Emerson each hit five three-pointers as UMD went 14-for-29 on treys.

SDSU shot 50.7 per cent (36x71) for the game including 61.3 per cent (19x31) in the second half. UMD shot 47.2 per cent (34x72). SDSU had a 48-32 rebounding advantage.

Go State!

Comment

WOW first triple double in SDSU history.    Way to go Marquise!  ;D  I read the SDSU story, but it didn't hit me until I read the Argus. In the other game at the Pepsi Tip-Off, Minnesota State-Mankato 96 Southwest Minnesota State 86. I think the Mustangs are going to have their hands full with us. ;D

SDSU men blast Minnesota-Duluth
                From Staff Reports

published: 11/22/2003

Matt Jones scored 26 and freshman Joe Green added 20 while senior point guard Marquise Richardson had a triple double as South Dakota State defeated Minnesota-Duluth 102-84 in the opening round of the Pepsi Tip-Off on Friday at Mankato, Minn.

Richardson had the first triple double in SDSU history, with 11 points, 12 assists and 10 rebounds. He also had a team-high four steals.

SDSU (4-0) jumped out to an 11-2 lead, trailed 18-16, then battled to a 48-37 halftime lead. UMD came back within one, at 53-52, but Jones had back-to-back baskets and Green added another as the Jacks went up 59-52.

It was 65-60 when the Jacks went on a 12-0 run.

Andy Moeller added 13 points for SDSU.

UMD (0-1) was led by Dusty Decker's 23 points.

Go South Dakota State!

Comment

As usually Scott Nagy has his machine running good early in the season. Coach always seems hear the pings and rattles and tells us about what has to be corrected in the pre and post games interviews.  A good coach should do that.

Coach commented, that right now, not everyone on the squad is satisfied with the playing time in terms of minutes.  I am sure Coach will correct that specific ping as well.  I can not see anyone leaving the team over this problem, buts a great one to have.  Especially into the NCC schedule, where you win with bench strength.

Those Freshman are off to a good start. As good as Estling and Fisher were a few seasons back.  Derrick Schantz and Cerveny also had great freshman seasons so you hope Green, Wettig and Beran do not burn out to quickly.

Comment

I did not hear the comment about the playing time from Nagy, but it would not surprise me if there are some disgrunteled players. When you have upperclassman that are accustomed to getting more minutes and now are getting garbage time in the last few minutes of the game there will be some players upset. The freshman players are simply more versatile and athletic which makes up for their lack of experience. This last game was a bit of an odity with matchup problems if we went with a bigger lineup. Like Nagy said in the postgame if they need to go small they will do that and if the gameplan calls for a bigger lineup they can do that. The guy I feel bad for is Gass as I think he showed some ability when he got the chance and now I wonder if he will make the traveling squad. If this team can recognize this depth is unique and keep their emotions in check we can go a long way. I think Nagy is going to do whatever it takes to win a National Championship this year and if that includes playing talented freshman than he will do it.

Comment

Nagy made those comments in the pregame interview.
                      I dont think its a problem that he can not deal with, but I suspect the rumor mill in Brookings is going full blast about people quiting etc. He might have gotten some questions at Cubby's during his Wednesday' booster meeting. Just guessing, but Scott seems to always have a purpose mentioning things in the radio interviews.

SDSU is in good hands and these guys will soon wish they are sitting on the bench when the NCC games start as they will have to play hard when they are on the court.
                      The fun part of going to Frost and away games is to watch Nagy's reaction.

Back when they had Casey Walker and I think that Juco from Champaign, Watson, you could always tell how these two Juco's were doing in picking up their D skills by watching Nagy. If you saw him stamping his foot and other gestures, you knew they were not making progress and the next thing you saw was a substitution.

What was amusing to me was each time Walker came off the bench, the first thing he would do is eye the basket like he was coming in to score and do nothing else. When you have a coach that stresses D skills, that not a good thing to do.

Comment

I believe the correct word for this year's Jackrabbits men's basketball team is SCARY. They might just be competitive (as in .500 or better) in Division I today. The Rabbits just got done blasting Southwest Minnesota State 95-63.

"It's not that Southwest played bad, it's just that SDSU is that good . . . You're going to see a lot of teams play this way against the Jackrabbits." -- Southwest's radio color guy.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think it was clear at the game who is not happy with his minutes and that is Calvin Melaney. He clearly did not get until garbage time as Nagy didn't even look at him until everyone else played....Calvin's demeanor on the bench also gave it away. I wonder if he will last the season? Great game. We could have one by 60 if we had kept our normal rotation in. Will be good to play at home finally. Look forward to beating the rest of the NSIC teams on our schedule including Winona,Bemidgi,Northern and Concordia.

Comment

Listening to Coach Nagy after the game it sounded like DeJong was the one not happy about min.  Whoever it is I hope they get over it.  If last year proved anything, it proved you need to have LOTS of good players if you want to be National Champions.  We will need all those guys before it is all said and done.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...cfm?Id=73,3248

Jacks Pound Southwest 95-63

South Dakota State improved to 5-0 for the season with a 96-63 victory over Southwest Minnesota State Saturday at the Pepsi Tip-Off in Mankato.

The Jacks opened a 29 lead before Jared Keaveny scored Southwest's first field goal of the game with 10:08 to play in the half. SDSU led 51-28 at halftime.

Thirteen players scored for the Jacks led by Matt Jones with 13. Andy Moeller added 12, Derrick Schantz 11 and Marquise Richardson 10.

SDSU shot 51.4 per cent from the field (36x70) and had a 45-33 rebounding advantage. Freshman reserve Ben Beran led the Jacks on the boards with seven.

Southwest shot 38.3 per cent (23x60) and was led in scoring by LaRon Dawn with 18 points.

SDSU will play its 2003-04 home opener Monday night, hosting SiTanka Huron in a 7 p.m. tip-off at Frost Arena.

Go South Dakota, South Dakota State! ;D

Comment

Nagy actually singled out DeJong for his good attitude after the game and he was rewarded with a lot of minutes that are normally taken by Melaney. It was very clear at the game that he was sending Melaney a message who sat at the end of the bench and was not as enthusiastic as other players on the bench. Melaney went from starting in Orlando to barely getting off the bench. He does need to improve his defense. I hope he can improve his attitude as we are going to need his physical play in the rugged NCC!

Comment

Working...
                              X