Thanksgiving Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving Classic

Steve said it over and over, between the 4 teams coming to Brookings there is only 1 loss.  Should be some good games.  

The Bemidji St. Beavers are 3-0 with some close fought wins, including a 3 OT win over Pittsburg St.

http://info.bemidjistate.edu/sports/...ule/index.html

The University of Tampa Spartans are 2-1 their only loss is to D-I Bethune-Cookman.

http://www.utampa.edu/athletics/sports/mbasketball.html

Then of course there are our old pals The University of South Dakota Coyotes.  They are 2-0 with wins over SD Tech, and Wayne State.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/mbball/

Combine that with our 6-0 mark and the teams that will be at Frost this weekend are a combined 13-1 not bad.  I am looking forward to it.

Go Jacks and whoever is playing USD!   ;D

Re: Thanksgiving Classic

Interesting stuff on the Bemidji State site. SDSU leads the all time series 4-0. The fun part is Bemidji State leads the all time series against USD 1-0, an 83-73 win in December of 1966. Come on Beavers keep that 36 year winning streak going!

The other interesting fact I found was Tampa has one very tall Russian on their team, 7' 2". He is a little light (as is most of the team) I would guess they will want to run rather then bang. Can't wait to see our guys play this weekend. I am looking forward to both games!

Go State!

Comment

I also went to the USD site.   One of the things I noticed is that USD claims they won that game in 1966 against Bemidji St.  I was a little to young to remember so it may remain a mystery.   They do have a nice scouting report on Beavers and the Spartans.  Here it is:

Scouting Tampa
      Tampa is 1-1 on the season after splitting a pair of games at the Pickle Classic hosted by Mt. Olive College in Mount Olive, N.C. The Spartans picked up a 74-62 victory over Elizabeth City State on Friday, before falling in the championship game to Mt. Olive, 77-64.

Senior James Mereus, a 6-9 forward, leads Tampa in scoring this season with 17.0 points per game.

Five players on the Spartan roster stand 6-6 or higher, including 7-2 senior center Denis Orlov. With a significant height advantage, Tampa outrebounded its two opponents over the weekend by an average of 11 boards a contest (37.0-26.0).

Tampa is coached by Richard Schmidt, who is in his 22nd season with the Spartans and owns a 446-176 career record at UT. During his tenure, Schmidt has led Tampa to 15 NCAA Tournaments, including to the Final Four of the 2001-02 tourney when his squad went 26-3. Last season, the Spartans posted a 15-12 record.

Scouting Bemidji State
      Bemidji State has enjoyed a balanced scoring attack through three games this season, posting a 3-0 record with six players averaging double figure point totals.

The Beavers opened the 2003-04 season with an 87-85 win over North Dakota on Nov. 15, before picking up a pair of wins against Missouri Southern and Pittsburg State over the weekend.

Bemidji is averaging 95.7 points per contest on 45.3 percent shooting from the field. The Beavers have held their opponents to just 37.8 percent shooting.

Individually, senior Charles Hanks (6-8, forward) leads Bemidji State in scoring and ranks second in rebounding, averaging 16.7 points and 6.3 rebounds per game.

The Beavers are coached by Jeff Guiot, who owns a 37-23 record during his three seasons at Bemidji. In 10 years of coaching, Guiot owns a 201-83 record.

Lets go Rabbits!

Comment

The Jacks looked good.  Could be the best Jacks team I've seen.  The Beavers looked pretty good too.  I hope they can stick it to USD.

SDSU 96, Bemidji State 85 in Brookings - Andy Moeller scored 23 and Derrick Schantz added 20 as South Dakota State improved to 7-0 during the second game at the 2003 Jackrabbit Thanksgiving Classic.

Bemidji led for the first five minutes but SDSU took the lead for good at 17-16 on a free throw by Joe Green. The Jacks pushed the margin to 29-19 on a layup by Schantz at the 8:32 mark and led 56-44 at halftime.

Bemidji State cut the margin to seven twice in the second half, the last at 69-62 on a basket by James Roberson with 13:46 to play. SDSU ran off six straight points for a 75-62 lead and kept the margin in double digits the rest of the way.

Matt Jones had a double-double for the Jacks with 13 points and 11 rebounds while Marquise Richardson made 6-of-9 field goal attempts and finished with 17 points, six rebounds and six assists.

Bemidji had five players in double figures led by Charles Hanks with 17.

Comment

Did not get to see the USD vs Tampa game but listen on the way up. USD took the lead, but were challenged several times down to the final horn.

I was impressed with Bemeji Team. They got good athletes from all over the USA on that team. Some very good shooters, but we out played them on Defense and won the game.

I am anxious to see how Bemiji does against USD. That could be quite the match for the Coyotes. Tommy King gets his final semester of eligibilty in January so without him, USD seems to be different.

How about Southwest State beating UND?
          Jamestown beat Bemiji and you wonder how that happened. Jamestown must be very good.

Comment

Wow, I came to the board this morning to lurk, and no info on last nights game. It is fun to be the first to post. The Jacks looked good again. In control the whole way.

SDSU 97, Tampa 77 in Brookings - South Dakota State University improved to 8-0 in the final game of the Jackrabbit Thanksgiving Classic.

SDSU never trailed, building a 33-16 lead following a 3-pointer by Marquise Richardson with 8:50 to play in the first half. It was 46-33 at halftime. Tampa never got closer than nine in the second half.

Andy Moeller scored 23 points to lead SDSU while freshman Jake Wenig hit 6-of-8 3-point attempts en route to a 20-point performance. Richardson added 13 points and eight assists.

TAMPA (1-3)

Mark Borders 5-11 3-3 13, Denis Orlov 5-7 2-2 13, James Mereus 5-13 0-0 12, Earnest Williams 5-8 2-7 12, Achille Ngounou 3-10 3-4 10, Rob Sargeant 2-5 4-6 8, Jon Norris 2-3 0-0 4, Josh Shave 1-4 0-0 3, Jason Amos 1-2 0-0 2, Kevin Byrd 0-1 0-0 0, Joe Anders 0-1 0-0 0. Totals 29-65 14-22 77.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (8-0)

Andy Moeller 7-11 6-6 23, Jake Wenig 7-9 0-0 20, Marquise Richardson 5-8 1-2 13, Joe Green 3-9 2-4 8, Derrick Schantz 1-7 4-4 7, Matt Jones 2-3 3-4 7, Ben Beran 2-4 1-3 5, Jared Gass 2-2 0-0 4, Calvin Melaney 2-3 0-1 4, Brady Hokenson 1-4 2-2 4, Josh Cerveny 0-5 1-2 1, Luke Geiver 0-1 0-0 0. Totals 32-66 21-31 97.

Comment

Great weekend for the Jacks. It was great to see Jake Wenig light it up as we need someone to break down the zone like Austin Hanson used too. Next weekends games against Northern Men and Women should be fun.
              The rest of the NCC continues to struggle with some slim margin wins against in some cases inferior teams. I think one of our tougher games will be against Winona at home and Michigan Tech on the road. Winona beat Metro State in Duluth.

Comment

The most amusing part of the tourney was the Tampa coach, who appears to be close to retirement. Now here is a guy who could enroll in anger management. I thought it so unclassy to lay into one of his players right on the middle of the court after the first half horn. Thats why we provide a dressing room, for those maybe justified out-rages. The guy who got chewed on was apparently assigned to Moeller who often got breakaway buckets. The kid fought back and gave the coach some of his outrage, right back, its just too bad it happened in public.

Also that Tampa assistant was different. A beautiful women in her 30's maybe. She was really dressed for the South Dakota winter. She wore sort of winter dress, heavy material which looked to have tiger hide patterns. And she also wore tall boots that went to the top of her thighs. I think she was warm enough.
                When some one told her we had furnaces in SD, she did not believed them based on her dress attire.

The most interesting part she had to do was to calm the head coach down. He almost got a technical in the second half, but thanks to the lady coach, it did not happen.

In the early part of the Bemidiji USD game, you could hear the Bemidiji coach chew one player out who tried a three pointer. I heard him say to the kid "Dont shoot those threes, that exactly what they(USD) want you to do. They know what your 3 pct ave is."

Always interesting details at Frost.

Comment

Working...
                X