X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JACKS Basketball

I'm looking forward to a great Mens Basketball Season
    but have some questions:
    Have Cervaney and Schantz been granted medical redshirts.
    Are Moeller and Melaney still in trouble with the law?
    Has Matt Jones recovered from mono?
    How did Kleinjan perform in practice during his redshirt year.

Re: JACKS Basketball

Originally posted by JACKGUY
    I'm looking forward to a great Mens Basketball Season
    but have some questions:
    Have Cervaney and Schantz been granted medical redshirts.
    Are Moeller and Melaney still in trouble with the law?
    Has Matt Jones recovered from mono?
    How did Kleinjan perform in practice during his redshirt year.
    JACKGUY,

here is what I know:
    1. Don't know
    2. Don't know
    3. Everyone I have talked to has said yes. He should be good to go.
    4. Most folks are very happy with Kleinjan's progress

I'll see what I can dig up on 1 and 2.

Comment

At the Golf outing in Volga, Coach Larson reported that Schantz and Cervney have the medical redshirts and are part of the team for next year.
      About a week after the outing, the Brookings Register reported that Melaney and Moller had went to court and they paid a fine and have a few days of jail time which was probably served in June. Coach Larson talked as though both were part of the next year's roster. Moller in my opinion is one of the best to play at SDSU. I can say I attended Jack games as far back as 1953 so I have seen some good ones play, including Jim Sutton, the rodeo guy from Onida.

Yes Matt Jones has recovered from Mono. He is working out on campus I believe. He dressed for the Regional but did not play of course.

I think these guys( Melany and Moeller) are at the end of the rope, and if they get a jaywalking ticket, it could be the end of academic and athletic careers. It was a weird deal, and apparently they thought they had a chance in court, which had to be expensive after paying your lawyer.

All the VOLGANITES are excited about Andy Kleinjan playing for the Jacks so that will sell a few more tickets in "Volga, the Town of the Future".

Comment

For the most part, good news.  I am looking forward to making a run at another National Championship before we move up.

Go State!

Comment

SDSU FAN,
          Iv'e seen a lot of Jack games myself certainly not as far back as you. But I don't see Moeller as one of the best of all time. I would put Austin Hanson there based on his level of consistency over four years. Some other players that I put in that category include: Mark Tetzlaff,Steve Brown,Chris White (only at SDSU for 2 years) and Cerci Mahone. I was sceptical on whether Matt Jones coming from a small school would be able to compete at the NCC level and he proved me wrong winning the Freshman of the year honors and dominating at times. I see him as having more upside,however I hear he is not excited about the potential move to D1. Andy Moeller has shown flashes of brilliance but not consistently and he needs to control his off court antics which are not limited to the latest problems. I think he is a real challenge for the coaching staff. Just my two cents.

Comment

BisonMav

Lingenfelter was a very good player from 80-81. I remember watching him play. I believe he transferred from the University of Minnesota. He is the#22 all time leading scorer and played alongside two other big guys who had a lot of success Bob Winzenburg 79-82 #7 all time scorrer with 1395 points and Jim Walker #31 on the scoring list. They were a dominant and could have played with a lot of D1 schools. I believe all tried out for NBA teams.

Comment

Jackguy:
              I guess I have been impressed with Moeller's quickness and how he cans spark the team. Agreed his off court behavior is as a friend of mind terms, "bad choices". There are so many good players its hard to pick the best out of all. People older than me talk about Jim Sonny Schmidt from Dell Rapids. His daughter is married to golfer Mark Amundsen, but Sonny was big in his day.

No doubt many others, but we seem to always have problems with off court behavior, mainly because these guys are not saints, but very capable of being immoral. It happens.

Comment

Any word on when they plan to add more of the permanent seats on the south side of Frost. Originally they planned to do this during the summer but for some reason it is being delayed. I think the administration needs to be careful not to take too many students out
                of the seats close to the floor. The number of season
                ticket holders seems to continue to expand but their needs to be a balance.

Comment

Does anyone know when the schedule will be released? I'm interested to know whether the Jacks will be taking on any big boys this fall as a sort of breaking in to D1. I know we've, many times, played D1 teams in the past, including the heartbreaking last minute loss to Kansas in 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                    Any word on when they plan to add more of the permanent seats on the south side of Frost. Originally they planned to do this during the summer but for some reason it is being delayed. I think the administration needs to be careful not to take too many students out
                    of the seats close to the floor. The number of season
                    ticket holders seems to continue to expand but their needs to be a balance.
                    The seating at Frost has been the one way to get more interest in Jackrabbit Club contributions. There is a point system and the maximum that one can order is six seats. I have six in the sixth roll, but I have to keep contributing if I still want my tickets.  

I too have heard about the plans for more permanent seating and to take the student section out or reduce it will be a big mistake. Fred Oien told me once that if they can sell out Frost, they can then televise which will happen if the students continue their interest in BB and show up. Being able to televise, means more revenue for SDSU Athletics. I dont think HPER dares to mess with this one.

The only problem I have with the students is they love to stand during the entire game.  This makes it hard for older fans who are sitting behind them.  

The students are what this is all about though, and I have vivid memories of the USD-SDSU games at the SDSC Fieldhouse, or the Barn.  USD students smuggling in half pints and getting really loaded.  

The one game in particular that Jim Sutton recalled in the State Magazine where people were sitting on those steel beams behind the last row of bleachers was unique in that they had a closed circuit TV to the State Theater downtown to handle the overflow. That was big time technology in the mid 1950's.
                    Basketball has been the only game in town for a long time in Brookings.

Of course the SDSU students were all sober as a judge except in 1965 game when we pelted the USD huddle during a time out with apple cores. That was the last game I attended as a student. I believe the apples disappeared from concessions maybe because of that and subsequent incidents. You can't buy an apple now at Frost, but they were a big commodity at The Barn.

I hope we quickly out grow Frost when we move to D1, and we should be able to make an instant impact in the Mid Con Conference, provided we are accepted for membership.  Instead of Augie being the Lutheran school of spite, it will soon be Valpariso who will have more class than to throw carrots on to the court.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak
                      Does anyone know when the schedule will be released?  I'm interested to know whether the Jacks will be taking on any big boys this fall as a sort of breaking in to D1.  I know we've, many times,  played D1 teams in the past, including the heartbreaking last minute loss to Kansas in 1985.  
                      I suspect the reason the schedule has not be released is that from other sites, I have learned that SDSU will host more than one home four team tournaments at Frost, and maybe the contracts for the participating teams have not been finalized. That would be my guess. I dont think the Jayhawks are in this mix. Some day they will though.

USD is part of the mix in the Nov 28-29 right after Thanksgiving. Also from the UND site, the Fighting Sioux will be in a Frost hosted tourney on Dec 28-29.

The Jacks will also participate in the Disney Tip off classic in Orlando on Nov 6-9 and according to the brochure that arrived in the mail, they will play Philadelphia on Nov 7, Kennesaw State, Georgia on Nov 8 and Northern Kentucky on Nov 9.

I am not sure, but I believe the Philadelphia school is probably Philadelphia Textile, that has been a D2 power since 1957. We just have never played them but they are always in the playoffs and have been for a long time. So that is a quality D2 opponent.

Kennesaw is a baseball power in D2, so dont know too much about them except that Newt Ginnerich was once on the faculty there and started some controversy in 1995 when he taught this course that was a GOP fund rasier and people paid him by writing checks to the Kennesaw Foundation. Very much on the edge of IRS regs. I dont know what they have for basketball though.

Northern Kentucky is tough in both men and women BB so that will be the big game. I have heard that UNK is looking at D1 as well.

So this year there probably wont be the Big 10 or Big 12 on the schedule, but the future will soon include them.

Comment

Welcome SoDak, thanks for the post.

Comment

I know the basketball schedule is not complete as they
                          are still working on filling two dates. I believe they are trying to secure a game with Bellview in December and the game with Northern Colorado fell through. This is what I understand the schedule looks like currently:

November 7th Disney Tip-Off Classic, Orlando,FL
                          vs Philadelphia U. 6pm eastern
                          November 8th Disney Tip-Off Classic,Orlando,FL
                          vs Kennesaw State, 6pm eastern
                          November 9th Disney Tip-Off Classic,Orlando,FL
                          vs Northern Kentucky, 3:30pm eastern
                          November 22nd Minnesota State,Mankato Tip-Off Classic vs Mn. Duluth,3pm
                          November 23rd Minnesota State,Mankato Tip-Off Classic vs Southwest State 3pm
                          November 28th Jackrabbit Thanksgiving Classic
                          SDSU,USD,Bemidji State,Tampa
                          vs Bemidji State, 8pm
                          November 29th Jackrabbit Thanksgiving Classic
                          vs Tampa 8pm
                          December
                          6 Northern State 8pm
                          9 at Concordi, St. Paul 7:30pm
                          18 Dakota Wesleyan 8pm
                          19 Sioux Falls 8pm
                          28 Jackrabbit Holiday Classic
                          SDSU,Winona State,Colorado Mines,UND
                          vs Winona State 8pm
                          29 vs Colorado Mines
                          January
                          3 at Michigan Tech
                          9 South Dakota
                          10 Nebraska Omaha
                          16 at Mankato
                          17at St. Cloud
                          23 UND
                          24 NDSU
                          27 Northern Colorado
                          31 Augustana
                          February
                          3 at Augustana 3pm
                          13 at NDSU
                          14 at UND
                          20 St. Cloud
                          21 Minn. State
                          27 at Nebraska Omaha
                          28 at USD
                          March
                          2 Wells Fargo quarterfinals
                          5-6 Wells fargo Finals
                          12-15 NCAA Div II regional
                          24-27 NCAA Div II Elite 8, Centennial Garden, Bakersfield

Pretty good home schedule! GO JACKS

Comment

Jackguy:
                            Good work, you apparently know more than I do about the BB schedule and have some insider contacts!! ;D

I know those contracts can be a problem sometimes. UNC must have had a D1 opportunity that they could not afford to pass up. Rassmussen their coach is from Minnesota, orginally and a good coach, but has had problems hanging on to his good recruits. One of his former recruits from Minnesota is going to be playing for UND this year after leaving UNC and then on to Fergus Falls JC. I want to say its Micheal Morse, but not sure.
                            If it is Morse, he got Nagy to stamp his feet a few times when they played out at Greeley and lost.

Bellview has had some good seaons recently so that could be a good opponent. It would beat DWU or Dakota State.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a crowd, Northern draws this year. They have not been the same since the Miller brothers left and they got a new coach.

Comment

Does anyone know how that Disney Tip-Off Clasic works? Is it a money maker for the program or more of a reward thing for the team? How did we get picked to be in it? Just wondering.

Comment

Working...
                              X