Northern State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern State

A battle of SD unbeatens! Should be a heck of a game. The Wolves did have some troulbe with Si Tanka but beat NDSU by 22. I expect they will give us their best game. Frost should be rocking, wish I could be there! Here is Northern's web site, it is pretty good.

http://www.northern.edu/athletics/De.../mbb/HOME.html

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Wolves! ;D

Re: Northern State

Frost will be full, Northern travels well (probably better than usd) I agree it will be a nice test I'm still sticking to my 16 pt. win prediction. I came so close to flying back to Brookings for this one, but I just got back from Brookings on Monday night. Frost atmosphere is unmatched for games like this.

Comment

Here is a story from the Aberdeen Paper previewing "Aberdeen Week" at Frost:

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...ts/7393842.htm

Aberdeen schools have showdowns with Jackrabbits

PC, Northern men's teams, NSU women take on SDSU in basketball
      Eric Burgess

American News Sports Writer

It is Aberdeen college basketball week at Frost Arena in Brookings this week:

7 p.m. Wednesday: South Dakota State men (8-0 and nationally ranked) vs. Presentation College (5-1).

6 p.m. Saturday: SDSU women (6-0 and defending national champions vs. Northern State. (See Wednesday's edition for a look at that game.)

8 p.m. Saturday: SDSU men vs. NSU.

"SDSU has got a ton of great players," said Northern men's coach Don Meyer, whose squad is off to a 5-0 start. "I firmly believe that Matt Jones (sophomore forward from Alpena) could play in any Division I program in the country and is capable of starting and playing on a Final Four Division I team.

"Plus they've got other really good players. Scott Nagy is a great coach, and they play extremely hard. We have never been able to do anything with them. We almost got them up here last year, but they've pretty much handed it to us every time we have traveled down there to play them. So this would be a yard stick for us. They'll make us a better team if we show up and compete."

As of Monday afternoon, Coach Nagy said he hasn't had much time to look at Presentation College or Northern State. He said he looks only at the next opponent on the schedule, but uses most of his time to focus solely on his team.

"We have a good record, and so most people probably assume we are playing pretty well," said Nagy. "But that is not how I feel and I don't think most of our players feel that way either. Everyone on our team can play a lot better."

Nagy said he hasn't figured out all the reasons why his team is not playing as well as it would like. One area of improvement is the Jacks' field goal percentage (47.7 percent), said Nagy. Another area of concern is team chemistry.

"We really have eight new players on our team," he said. "Now I know four of those kids are returners who were injured last year, but still, they and four others were not with us playing last year. It is taking us a while to get comfortable with each other on the court and figure out where the shots are coming from. Even after eight games, we are trying to figure out how all the pieces fit together. When you are playing eight new guys, it is just going to take a while."

SDSU will have a size advantage over Presentation College, which can result in advantages and disadvantages. "We are a man-to-man team, and it could be difficult for us to defend them, especially for our bigger kids to chase them around the floor," Nagy said. "We like to get up and down the floor like they do, and it will be interesting to see how well we can cover them."

Nagy said he won't get a chance to look at "the Northern State stuff" until Thursday. "But I just know by watching the scores that they are playing well. They have beaten some good teams. They have got almost everyone back from a team that was very good last year. So all those kids have another year under Coach Meyer's system. And of course, Coach Meyer always does a great job, and his teams are always hard to beat."

After a busy weekend in the Black Hills, Presentation men's coach Randy Jordan also has not had time to look at South Dakota State very much as of early Monday afternoon.

"We will have to focus on our game and do the best that we can," he said. "We know they are a very good team, big, and very quick. Both teams will get up and down the court. It will be interesting to see if we can execute well enough to get some good shots."

Jordan said it is a good step for his program to play a highly-touted Division II team that is on its way to Division I. "We have some kids who are looking forward to playing in that arena. And we need to play good teams like this. We need to take it as a challenge, learn from it and use it to raise our level of play."

Starters for SDSU this season have been: Andy Moeller (6-1 junior), Matt Jones (6-6 sophomore), Marquise Richardson (6-0 senior), Derrick Schantz (6-6 senior), Joe Green (6-7 freshman) and Calvin Mehlaney (6-7 senior).

Starters for NSU: Jarod Obering (5-9 junior), Steve Smiley (6-2 senior), Matt Hammer (6-4 sophomore), Adam Grant (6-7 sophomore) and Aaron Busack (6-7 sophomore)

Starters for PC: Tyler Wenbourne (6-0 junior), Josh Mach (6-2 sophomore), Marcus Robinson (6-2 sophomore), Jason Lutz (5-11 senior) and Cody Marzahn (6-2 junior).

A lot of love in the room. No bulletin board material here.

Go State!

Comment

Lets Go Rabbits! ;D

Comment

At the half SDSU 45 NSU 25. Just another day at the office! ;D

Go State!

Comment

Thanks for the update rabbit, I still cant make a WNAX connection. I listened to our womens game tonight-a good 11pt. win. Have they announced attendence? The KJJQ announcer said it was almost full at about 7:30. Rabbits sound awesome again. any other insight tonight?

Comment

Well USD only leads SW Minnesota State by 2 at the half. I have not heard the offical attendence but they said it "looked full". NSU stayed with us for awhile until Wenig started lighting things up from 3 pt land. He is on fire. That opened things up inside and the rest is history.

Comment

Wenig "lit it up" against Tampa too. Unbelievable he is a true freshman. At 6-6 he has no trouble with the 3's. And apparently is'nt intimidated by the Frost crowd in his first "big" home game. I'm sure he can feel the love in Frost Arena

Comment

JACKS Rolling.....
                  K-State Rolling....
                  Must be a "Celebration" happening in your house tonight rabbit!!
                  LSU Cruising along also...
                  What a great night for our teams. ;D

Comment

You know it is true! I am not paying as much attention to the Jacks game as I should because of the KSU game! With 2:26 left Jacks up by 44! Oh my! SDSU 92 NSU 48!

Go Jacks!

Comment

Final Score SDSU 96 Northern State 57!   Oh my!   10-0!

Go Jackrabbits!   ;D

Comment

Jacks have defeated the 2 Aberdeen schools (NSU, PC) by a combined 86 pts. WOW ! ;D ;D

Comment

I just got back from Brookings. What great defensive game by the men. Our guys were so on key. As coach said the post game show, Moeller let that guy from NSU get lose and he got 2 three pointers, but after that he did not get much. Also it was fun to watch the guys on Defense. its like they knew NSU weave and seem to throw their half court game way out of sink. NSU just could not get into a flow and thats what good defense playing will do.

I am almost convinced that Green, Wennig and Beran are not true freshman, but transfers from Drake. I never seen true freshman play as well as these guys are right now. Unbelievable.

Comment

I couldn't believe the final score when I saw it.  This was a great win and the attendance was also very good with 6,239 fans.  I'm also kind of jealous of the pre game write up the Aberdeen schools got.  Why can't the Register atleast do that.  But enough complaining.......... Go Jacks!

Comment

Just think what those 3 freshman and Loney (redshirt) and the new signee from Sioux City will be like when they are Seniors ! Oh yea.. Matt Jones is only a Sophmore.

Comment

Working...
                              X