Concordia-St. Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concordia-St. Paul

CSP will be the next victim, They have played a tough schedule (mostly NCC schools) and are 1-5. The only win was against Augie (big surprise!). The losses have come to UN-Omaha by 1, UND by 11, Minnesota St. by 18, and D1 UW-Milwaukee by a ton.
    The Jacks shouldnt have to work too hard in this one, but as weve seen before CSP can be pesky. SDSU is averaging just under 95 pts. though 10 games. Jacks should get another 20 pt. win and go over the 100 mark once again.
    Go JACKS

Re: Concordia-St. Paul

I agree Texas, shouldn't be much of a game (the loss to UND sticks out) . They do have some decent size and it is on the road, but I expect a big win.

Listening to Coach Nagy after the game it sounded like the playing time issue was behind us. I was glad to hear that because we are going to need all the guys to make it to Bakersfield!

Here is the link to CSP:

http://www.csp.edu/athletics/root/mbsktbll/mbb.html

Go State!

Comment

Did anyone go to the game?  I've been busy with school and forgot about it.  I can't believe we were trailing by 15 at half, but atleast we pulled it off.  Hopefully this win scares us as much as a loss, and we can learn from it and move on.  Here's the story from the SDSU page:
      Jacks Survive Scare At Concordia-St. Paul
      South Dakota State rallied from a 15-point halftime deficit to defeat Concordia-St. Paul 75-74 in non-conference men's basketball Tuesday night at the Gangelhoff Center in St. Paul.

The Jacks never led in the second half until Matt Jones made one of two free throws with17 seconds left.

Concordia's last shot missed just before time expired and Jones rebounded giving SDSU its 11th straight victory of the season.

Concordia, which was 14-of-28 on three-point shots for the game, hit ten three-pointers enroute to a 50-35 halftime lead. But the Jackrabbit defense held the Golden Bears to just 24 second half points.

SDSU rallied early in the second half and closed within one at 57-56, but Concordia regained an eight point advantage at 66-58. Guard Andy Moeller, who led the team with 19 points before fouling out, pulled the Jacks within two when he hit a three, was fouled and added the free throw for a four-point play, making it 74-72.

Then Jones scored on an inbounds play to tie the game.

SDSU had two chances to take the lead, but lost the ball on turnovers twice before Jones blocked a shot, got the rebound and was fouled. He hit the first of two to give SDSU lead.

Derrick Schantz added 15 poins, freshman Joe Green had a double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds, and Jones added 12 points.

SDSU shot 48 per cent (27x56) for the game while CSP, now 1-6, shot 43 per cent (25x58 ) including just 9-of-26, 34 per cent, for the second half.

The Jacks finished with a 42-24 rebounding advantage.

SDSU is now idle until the Jacks host Thursday, Dec. 18, when they host Dakota Wesleyan.

Comment

I was a listener via WNAX, and wow we are lucky to come away a winner.  The Jacks did not play god ball tonight, and Coach said that the freshman made mistakes tonight.  Give CSP credit, they were determined to beat us.  They have size and we could not stop the UNC transfer nor VandenBerg.  Also the guys had too many turnovers trying to get the ball into Jones.

The coach said we have played too many games and need a short rest and a chance to re-group.  I can't argue with that.

What Coach Nagy said a couple weeks ago about the gap between the NCC and NSIC closing in terms of quality programs seems to support that conclusion when you consider tonight's game.

Snow kept many people away from the game, but it sounded like a noisey few were on hand tonight for CSP. If you live in the Twin Cities, I can see staying home.

Comment

Texas Jack-

Should be an easy 20 point win????? CSP is an NCC caliber team (and with just a 1 point loss to SDSU, maybe a D1 caliber team ) Don't let those heads get too big Jack fans. Your teams and school are not as great as you might think they are.

Comment

NSIC guest

CSP is a good team, but hardly the best we played this year. Having the game in St Paul, is worth 20 points.

The Jacks can expect to play perfect ball all the time. Every team has a let down.

I dont think our heads are big, but maybe some folks in the NSIC are a little jealous of our D1 move.
            Have a nice day

Comment

I would like to know how many teams would be able to come back and win after being down 15 points at half time on the road when that team makes 14 3 pointers for the game. Jacks held Concorida to 24 points in the second half. This was probably a good wakeup call for the players and the fans. I think we had one of those letdowns on the road that happens at every level. Bottom line is I would rather learn a lesson from a win over a loss any day. NSIC fan I guess you don't have the guts to call out the team you follow. Nobody in the Jack nation is saying we are invincible or unbeatable and we most likely will lose some games this year. Fact is the men are 11-0 and the women are 7-0 and the expectations are high for both. I would say anything short of a National Championship for both would be considered a dissapointment. Is that having a big head or being arrogant? I doubt there are many other teams in Division II with those kind of lofty attainable goals for both their men and womens programs. I'm not sure what the whole D1 comment has to do with it, but yes once we make that move the Jacks faithful will expect success at that level as well. I never expected for a minute we would go in and blow out Concordia on their home court even with their poor attendence history and current record. I've been to that facility and it is a tough place to play. We played our worse game of the year with 24 tournovers and still found a way to win. That is a mark of a good team. Have we or will we play your NSIC team this year or is that a farse and you are a closet mangy coyote fan?.

Comment

Originally posted by NSIC guest
                Texas Jack-  

Should be an easy 20 point win????? CSP is an NCC caliber team (and with just a 1 point loss to SDSU, maybe a D1 caliber team  )  Don't let those heads get too big Jack fans. Your teams and school are not as great as you might think they are.
                CSP an NCC caliber team?  : SDSU is 11-0 overall, 5-0 vs NSIC enough said!   8)

Go State!

Comment

Having played both CSP away and BSU at home, both NSIC teams, who would you say is better. And can SCSU beat CSP in St Paul. The SDSU/CSP game just sounds like SDSU did not play well in the first half.

NSIC Guest don't talk smack if your conference can't back it up. I wouldn't get too excited over a loss.

Comment

CSP has a unique facility in that bleachers are on only one side of the gym. Thats what Aaron Johnston' SDSU women's BB coach said in an interview on Depot Radio KJJQ in Brookings. I have never been to this facility, but between AJ observation and the background sounds from WNAX' s broadcast of the men's bb game, it is different from Hallenbeck Hall or even Frost.

CSP seems to have more size and experience than Bemidji and seemed to be able to break up the SDSU passing game that usually gets the ball in the paint to Matt Jones.

The inside game is a key to our half court offense, and Coach Nagy felt this was the part of the game he was not satisfied with. I think the rest of the NCC will be eying that part of SDSU game play.

Not really knowing what SCSU has for a team this year its hard to tell how they would do at CSP. I know SCSU has lost some very good players like Carlson and Radar the Croatian guy, but I cant imagine SCSU not having a team capable of winning in CSP. If you come out flat like SDSU did, you will find yourself getting beat. SDSU was lucky to win this one.

The CSP guy Jamero or something like that, who transferred from UNC to CSP is a guy we could not stop with his good shooting. Stopping this guy and the Vanderberg guy are keys to beating CSP.

Bemidji is a team that has youth and will get better as the season goes on. I can see them qualifying for the regional.

UND who got off to a bad start and now has two key injuries beat CSP by 10 in St Paul. UND went into Aberdeen and beat NSU by 32 just a day or two okay.
                    I did not expect that to happen, but UND may be like SDSU last year, despite injuries, they still have a some very good people who can carry the load.

I still think the NCC has some edge over the NSIC provided they play up to their capabilty.

Comment

SDSUFAN actually we still have Carlson, he is now a senior. Rado Rancik was gone two years ago and i can see how you would remember him because he was good. Our guard play is outstanding. But I have a feeling that SDSU will crush us in the middle. Oh well, we will see.

I look forward to seeing SDSU at Halenbeck Hall this year. You guys always bring a nice crowd. SDSU and UND travel the best in the NCC.

Comment

NSIC Guest,
                        I just got back from a NY trip, CSP good enough for the NCC?? Are you joking?? Yes SDSU survived, all I know at this point is the score, but it sounds like we played an absolutely terrible game, and still won on the road.Yes a team CAN have an off night once in a while. I also have a feeling that CSP was overlooked a bit. If you would like I would love to see a rematch in Frost in a week or two. I will increase the margin of victory a bit too on the prediction.
                        TEXAS JACK

Comment

Working...
                        X