Augie loses to NAIA school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augie loses to NAIA school

Augie lost at home to Bellevue University a NAIA school.  Didn't we paste them at Frost a few years back.  I remember reading the paper and their Coach said they played us for the money, if I am thinking of the right school.  Here is the Argus story:

Bellevue trips Augustana

By MATT HALVORSON
    For the Argus Leader

published: 12/18/2003

Basket with three seconds to play sinks Vikings

James Mills knocked down a shot in traffic under the basket with three seconds remaining to give Bellevue a 73-72 win over Augustana on Wednesday night at the Elmen Center.

Jon Wagner's half-court heave fell just short as time expired as the Vikings couldn't hang on after overcoming a late nine-point deficit.

Trailing 71-62 with 3:04 to play, the Vikings scored 10 unanswered, capping the comeback with a three-pointer from senior center Justin Van Meeteren to take a one-point lead with 11 seconds remaining.

"They left us with a big enough cushion to get back into it," Bellevue head coach Todd Eisner said. "Thankfully, Boomer (Mills) made a tough shot for us and we were able to win it."

Bellevue led for most of the first half despite 53.8 percent shooting by Augustana. It was Augustana's 14 first-half turnovers, however, and Bellevue's ability to capitalize on those mistakes that told the story of the Bruins' 42-34 halftime lead.

"We switched defenses when we got back in the second half," Eisner said. "For the most part, we didn't allow people to shoot over us after we switched to man-to-man, although Van Meeteren continued to shoot over us no matter what defense we used."

Bellevue's new look on defense did not curb the Vikings' hot shooting, and fewer second-half turnovers kept Augustana in a game that had been threatening to get out of hand.

"Fourteen (turnovers) in the first half was a problem, and 20 (in the game) is still too many," Augustana coach Tom Billeter said. "We knew they were going to zone us, and it was a bit of a wider zone than we expected, but then we just needed to penetrate.

Augustana came out in the second half with guns blazing, reeling off a 14-0 run in the first five minutes. Van Meeteren led the charge, draining four 3-pointers in that stretch,

helping send the Vikings to a 50-42 lead.

Augie also managed to take better care of the ball, committing no turnovers and collecting five offensive rebounds during their run.

"It was a game of spurts for us," Billeter said. "We played in waves."

"We came out with energy in the second half," senior guard Jon Wagner said. "We came out with no energy in the first half, but in the second half we came out actually ready to play."

But Bellevue quickly shook itself out of its slump and proceeded to reel of an 8-2 run of its own, tying the game at 52 with 12:03 to play and taking the wind out of Augustana's sails until the Vikings' near-miss comeback.

"It's tough, because we've played so many road games," Wagner said. "We've been in every game we've played with the exception of one. I just wish we had executed better down the stretch."

Mills led Bellevue with 22 points, including the game-winner, and also added a team-high seven rebounds. Four of the Bruins' five starters finished with at least 11 points, as Bellevue got just three points on 1-of-6 shooting from its bench.

Van Meeteren topped all scorers with a season-high 27 points, which included a career-high six three-pointers. Wagner was the only other Viking in double-digits, chipping in 11 points, while junior guard James Borom added five points and eight assists.

In Augie's defense Bellevue did put a scare into UNO and has beaten some good NAIA compition, but never good to lose at home to an NAIA school .

Go State!

Re: Augie loses to NAIA school

We should handle Augie easily this year.

Comment

That is what I am thinking! ;D

Go Rabbits!

Comment

The fun of reading about an augie loss to an NAIA school never gets old.

Comment

I don't have the same hatred for Augie that I have for USD. I will pull for them once we are gone from the NCC as they are truly an underdog.

Comment

JackGuy,
            We can agree they are both easy to hate, but after wittnessing the behavior of augie fans over the past 20 years,I have to give the award to the doggies, Augies administration should be ashamed for allowing that side show (fan conduct) to continue, IMO, USD's not that far behind in juvenile behavior. lets just agree they both suck.

Comment

Working...
            X