Road games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road games

I've been scanning the Jacks schedule trying to determine which road games I will be able to attend. I find those games a lot of fun as do other many Jack fans. We easily have the best traveling fans in the conference and I would venture to say in DII for attending away games. I have never made the North Dakota trip but may try this year as this is it in the NCC.
    Anybody else planning to travel this year. Any good road stories?

Re: Road games

I would like to make the ND trip this year. I have never followed the Jacks to UND or NDSU. Does anyone know where the team stays on Friday night. I would like to reserve a room. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

jackmd,
      Another good road trip for you is the Minnesota State-St. Cloud trip. and after the move to D1 the Gophers and Badgers are close.
      Texas

Comment

I will be attending the elite eight tournament held at Centennial Garden in Bakersfield, CA. Thats one road trip I "hope" to be making this year.

Comment

A memorable travel story for me was the pre game party/gathering at that sports bar in Hays Kansas in 1996. Lots of singing/cheering/drinking. Many of the Jackrabbit nation gathered there prior to going over to watch SDSU play #1 ranked FHSU. We were a huge underdog and lost that game by 5-6 points, but it was an awesome game that we led with a couple minutes to go. They had a center that was awesome-he played the previous year at Syracuse, and we held him down pretty good all night but in the end, he got Jason Schuetz, Kurt Meister, and Tom Rops in foul trouble. Jason Siempsrott played the best game I've ever seen a Jackrabbit play.

Comment

Texas,

I was at that game too. I wish I would have know you better back then. Jason played great that whole tourney, we beat NDSU in the first round if I remember correctly. Like you I am planing a trip to Bakersfield beyond that I am not sure just yet.

Go State

Comment

Make sure SDSU fans make the SCSU/MSU trip. It is always fun to have a large visiting crowd at Halenbeck Hall. I have made a few trips to Frost and I don't need to tell you that it is a first class arena.

SCSU beat CSP by 9 last night and we played just ok. I have heard SDSU did not play well at all against CSP and still won. I don't know, maybe we can give you a game at home but at Frost it will be the same old song.

Comment

Coach Nagy said at the weekly booster club, that CSP did not have players who knew how to win close games. He said if they had those players, we would have not gotten out of their with a win. Congrad to the Huskies, sounds like it going to be good conference competition. On any given night, anyone can win.

Comment

try Re: Road games

I always try and make the Mankato and St. Cloud swing. Mankato has perhaps one of the best facilities in the league and St. Cloud while having a gym with horrible obstructed site line from the balcony always has a large vocal crowd and the games are always close.

Comment

Over on the Minnesota State website they show Taylor Arena. Is that facility open yet? How many does it seat? It looks very nice from the outside. Jackguy, Is that the facility your referring to, or Bresnan Arena (4800) ?

Comment

Taylor Center is the complex and Bresnan Arena is the actual Basketball arena. There are no bleachers with only permanent seats in a complete round bowl. Huge scoreboards with all player stats etc. It's small in capacity but very much a first class facitlity. Glen Taylor local Mankato Billionaire and owner of the Timberwolves created a min-Target Center. HUge improvement over the gym they used to play in and easily one of the nicest facilities in DII. Would be nice to incorporate some of these amenities into Frost such as some new Daktronics scoreboards and fewer bleacher seats. Would also like to see Frost add more concessions.

Comment

We have made the MSU-St. Cloud trip every year since moving to Rochester, MN and went to St. Cloud for the regional. Probably won't make it this year with the new baby. Went to Pepsi tip-off classic in Mankato this year. Taylor Center is one first class facility. I agree with the need to upgrade Frost scoreboards. I understand new scoreboards are planned, is this correct?

When we were back for the Thanksgiving classic the center scoreboard was malfunctioning. I would expect that Daktronics would donate the boards and there is definitely room on the east end for a large board like the Taylor Center and Northern St have with individual player stats, etc.. I worked at Daktronics for 3 years during college and think they do a first rate job. Frost arena is fantastic but there is always room to improve.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yes to the boards question, Last Fall when I was back our athletic dept. were getting the bids for the new score boards. I know there has been a question of revenue/advertising on the boards in the past. I heard (rumor) that Daktronics offered to put new boards in for free but wanted the advertising revenue and thats where the conflict arose. We are definetly getting new boards in Frost and Coughlin. Frost next year, apparently they are going to be very nice!! With Dak. located in Brookings I hope they are showpieces

Comment

That is great to hear. Frost is such a great enviroment for basketball and with a few tweaks will continue to provide the Jacks with a great home court advantage as we move into the DI era. You can have all the new amenities, but its still the fans and the tradition who make Jack Basketball what it is today.

Comment

Yes the Talylor Center is one of the best arenas around except the sound is dead in there. It takes a lot to get a MSU fan to get out of their seat. And you are right Jackguy the sightlines in the upper deck in Halenbeck Hall stink. (the center 3 sections are ok) I like the atmosphere when SDSU plays SCSU at Halenbeck. Even without a band we get loud at that game.

The lower level is for season ticket holders so Jackguy get there real early this year and you may be able to sneak into the lower level on the student end by your bench. Good luck this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X