Tommie King's return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommie King's return

I hope USD is banking on the return of Tommie King making them a true top 10 team in Division II. Granted he is a talented player but talented players does not a good team make. Dave Boots has at least one major flaw (and multiple minor ones) in that he cannot get his players to play as a team. When they begin to win based on individual talent alone, like last year, they eventually quit playing for him and collapse, like last year. Not the mark of a quality program and certainly not one at the same level as SDSU. It is time for us to leave them behind.

Perhaps the NCC should disolve as a DII program before the likes of USD, Augie, UND, etc.. damage the great history and reputation of the conference . They can join the NSIC which is more at their talent level . Then SDSU, NDSU, UNC and whoever else is interested could form the NCC in DI football initially and eventually in other sports. Just wishful thinking? :-/.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Tommie King's return

I too wonder what impact Tommie King will have on the Coyotes lineup. He is a very talented player to deal with and the Coyotes are certainly better with him than without him. There is something about USD's team that just does not intimidate me into thinking they will challenge for the title. Maybe its team chemistry or something of that realm, but I think the Jacks if they can jump on them quickly can get them to quit and argue amongst themselves. I'm counting the days to this classic matchup for both the Womens and Mens game. I think they could open the doors at noon and Frost will fill up quickly with people trying to secure the best seats in General Admission.

Comment

He's back. . .here is the story from the Argus:

Coyotes breeze past Concordia
      From staff reports

published: 12/22/2003

VERMILLION - University of South Dakota senior Tommie King didn't miss a beat in his first game of the season Sunday, scoring 22 points and pulling down 10 rebounds in the Coyotes' 89-59 win over Concordia-St. Paul.

It was the first game of the season for King, a preseason first-team All-American. Last season, he was awarded an extra semester of eligibility by the NCAA to compensate for his injury-shortened 2001-02 season with Iowa State. He sat out all games and practices during the first semester, rejoining the Coyotes for practice Saturday.

King, who was 9-of-15 from the field in 25 minutes of action, also helped spark the fifth-ranked Coyotes (8-1) on the defensive end of the floor.

South Dakota held Concordia-St. Paul to just 28.3 percent shooting from the field, a season-low for a Coyote opponent this season.

In addition to King, four other players reached double figures for the Coyotes. Junior guard Josh Mueller had 19 points, nine assists, four rebounds and four steals. Sophomore forward Turner Trofholz turned in a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Senior guard Doug Hanson added 13 points off the bench, while senior forward Derek Paben had 10 points.

Concordia-St. Paul stayed close early, but the Coyotes took control of the game with a 21-4 run to go up 35-18 with two minutes to play in the first half.

The Golden Bears got as close as 13 points, at 44-31 early, in the second half, but an 18-2 USD run over the next four minutes put the game away.

Brian Jamros led Concordia-St. Paul with 25 points and eight rebounds.

He does make them a better team, I am looking forward to booing him loudly at Frost!

Go Jacks!

Comment

This guy is a real talent. I'm not sure who the Jacks have defensively who can match up with him. He presents a lot of problems and can take over a game. Would have been nice if he was not granted the extra semester but we will have to deal with him and I'm sure Nagy will have a strategy.

Comment

I have heard the USD game is going to be a sellout!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
            I have heard the USD game is going to be a sellout!
            You can guarantee that it will be a sellout. It sold out the last two years, and this year's game has even bigger meaning than ever. If you don't have tickets now you had better have an inside connection to get some. Good for us on selling out Frost again. Can't wait for the game at USD so that they can announce an attendance of one more than our's at Frost. Don't they realize that they can't get more than 7,000 people in that grain bin.

Go State, Go State!!

Comment

Does anyone know how many tickets an opposing school like USD is provided for an away game? I assume the students would not be back at school yet and many students would not have returned? I want to intimidate the hell out of the USD players when they take the floor. Time to exercise that homecourt advantage. Any word on whether SDSY will play the Coyotes next year? I've heard it would be either in Brookings or Sioux Falls and never in the Grain Bin!

Comment

Working...
              X