UMD defeats USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMD defeats USD

UMD 110 USD 101 in OT at the Augie Holiday Classic.  Way to go Coyotes :-[!!  Keep making the NCC proud!!  

From USD website:

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- The fifth-ranked South Dakota men's basketball team (9-2) dropped a 110-101 overtime thriller to Minnesota-Duluth (7-4) at the Augustana Basketball Classic on Sunday in Sioux Falls.

Minnesota-Duluth's Dusty Decker hit a three-point field goal with five seconds left to tie the game and then the Bulldogs outscored South Dakota, 15-6 in overtime to grab the win.

South Dakota scored over 100 points for the second straight game. It is the first time since the 1998-99 season (105-101 overtime loss to North Dakota State) that USD scored 100 points and lost the game.

USD was led by All-American Tommie King (Seattle, Wash.), who had 26 points and five rebounds. Junior guard Josh Mueller (Hartford, S.D.) added 21 points and seven assists. Junior guard Vincent McGill (Paterson, N.J.) had 17 points and senior forward Doug Hansen (Meckling, S.D.) added 16 points.

Steve Anderson had a season-high 14 rebounds and also scored six points.

South Dakota made 44.6 percent from the field (33-of-74), including 31.3 percent from three-point range (10-of-32). USD made 86.2 percent from the foul line (25-of-29).

Shooting was the key for the Bulldogs, who were deadly from three-point range by hitting 18-of-43 for 41.9 percent. They were led by John Emerson, who had 28 points, including five three-point field goals while Sean Seaman had 26 points and Decker had 22 points, including six three-pointers. UMD hit 48.2 percent from the field (40-of-83) and made 66.7 percent from the foul line (12-of-18).

In a back and forth first half, USD opened a 16-11 lead at the 12:13 mark before the Bulldogs rallied. UMD went on a 21-10 run and grabbed a 32-26 lead with 5:09 after a Decker three-point shot. The Bulldogs maintained the advantage and led 46-40 at halftime.

South Dakota came out hot in the second half with a 10-2 run to grab a 50-48 lead with 17:02 after a free throw by Steve Anderson. For the next eight minutes, both teams traded leads until the Coyotes gained control. The Coyotes opened an 80-69 lead at the 5:31 mark after a layup by Mueller. At the 4:54 mark, McGill's three-pointer provided the Coyotes with an 83-71 lead, the largest advantage by either team in the game.

However, UMD chipped away, cutting USD's lead to 87-84 with 1:56 to play. USD regained a five-point lead with 37 seconds left when McGill scored inside. Two foul shots and a lay-up by UMD's Matt Williams cut the lead to 93-92 with 17 seconds to play. McGill hit a pair of foul shots with 14 seconds left but then Decker knocked home a deep three-pointer to send the game into overtime.

UMD received a pair of three-pointers from Decker in overtime and the Coyotes were unable to rally.

Next for South Dakota is a 8 p.m. game with Dana College on Saturday, Jan. 3 at the DakotaDome.

I have seen UMD play twice this year and they are NOT a team that should beat the upper tier of teams in the NCC.  I am aware that they have defeated UND and Metro St. but I think this says more about UND and Metro than it does UMD.

Jacks women are handling Bemidji St, up by 20 at the half, GO JACKS.  I hope the men come out with some intensity (unlike the Vikings).

What about that Viking game?  Should Tice be fired?  Not a question for this forum but something for discussion elsewhere.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: UMD defeats USD

This appears to have been a very interesting game. Both teams took a bunch of shoots, both took 80 or more shoots, which means about 2 shots a minute, where is the defense? From the Augie game story it sounds like UMD is starting to roll with about 4 or 5 consective wins.

What still is consistent with USD is free throws.

Comment

Re: UMD defeats USD

USD 25-29 at the line, UMD 12-18. Mueller 5-20 from the field and 3-14 from 3-point line. Trufholz leads team in scoring yesterday and no factor today.

Not trying to look past the two games this weekend, as they will be difficult to win, but just a couple of comments about USD.

SDSU must guard the 3-point line and force the drive. I would rather make them hit free throws than get hot from the 3 point line. We should be able to score at will as SDSUFAN pointed out, they play no defense.

I cannot connect to webcast via WNAX or the Winona St. website. Please keep me updated. Thanks.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
      X