HOLIDAY Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOLIDAY Classic

Time to get it going for the Winona and Colorado Mines games for this weekend. Should be fun with the women playing and UND in town as well. I expect us to be 15-0 by Monday night. Remember Winona beat us in Winona last year and let's not forget the football game this year. Time for paybacks!

Re: HOLIDAY Classic

I was at that football game and still have a bitter taste in my mouth. I have also witnessed the previous 2 defeats in BB both in Winona. Nagy has got to want this one bad and I expect the boys to play hard for him.

I won't be making it back to Brookings for Christmas so I will try to listen on WNAX. Please keep posting updated scores in case I cannot connect. Have a Merry Christmas everyone and GO JACKS!!!
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Looking forward to see the Jacks in person once again. Should be fun! ;D

Colorado Mines looks like a very avg. team. They have not played much (4-4) so I think we should take care of them no prob.

http://athletics.mines.edu/Sports/Ba...%27s/index.htm

Winona State on the other hand. . .lots of reasons to get up for this game. JACKGUY is right it is time for a little payback. > ;D They have some good size so I hope Coach has toughened up our post players (sounded like they needed it from his comments after the USF game) they will be tested.

Winona is 6-3, games of note include:

Loss to UNO 66-71
      Win over MSU-Mankato 85-68
      Win over our old pals Metro State 74-68
      Loss to Mich. Tech 67-75
      Loss to USD 56-92
      Win over Augie 78-71

We should win this one, it will be a good measure against some of the folks we will play a little later. Really looking forward to this one! ;D

http://www.winona.edu/athletics/mbasketball/

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

I saw that two of Colorado Mines' wins this year were against UNC. I wonder if Mines will be on next year schedule?

Comment

SDSU dismantles Winona 102-65, now 14-0 on the season.

Jones and Cervany sit out with injuries, Joe Green is out the second half with an ankle sprain. No worries, mate!

I've said it before, these Rabbits are scary.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Winona Postgame notes:

Schantz finished with 26 points, Moeller, 24, Richardson 17. (Question for opponents: who do you guard?)

Selections from Coach Nagy's post-game comments:
            Without 3 big guys, beat them 13 on the boards, tremendous effort.

Winona is a good team, we were as good offensively as we have been all year.

Really pleased with Jared DeJong. Did a great job. Got a chance tonight and did a lot with it.

Andy Moeller was very aggressive, needed him to be aggressive. When he is, it opens up things for everyone else.

Derrick S. is a tremendous shooter. When we needed him to be big, he was big.

Marquise Richardson: six steals, Andy had six steals. Big guys did what they needed to do, that's why they got the steals.

Kids were working hard, 50% shooting, offensive rebounds. Andy Kleinjan was very aggressive.

Josh Cervany is day-to-day, concussion. Matt Jones day-to-day. Joe Green probably won't go tomorrow.

Colorado Mines-3 players take all of their shots. Our kids are doing a great job, making good decisions on the break.

Winona will probably win their league, they're very good. Our kids stepped up.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Excellent win!!  25 in a row at Frost, 2nd longest streak in the nation.  Attendance about 3000. Nice performance at the FT line, 25-31.   Only Moeller played more than 30 min (31).

Nice to see Schantz step up.  Moeller is the real deal, as well as Richardson.  I have no concerns about our backcourt.  

With regards to the frontcourt;  Nice to see DeJong fill in.  Any news regarding Jones?  Is it his foot alone or are there concerns regarding the previous mononucleosis and possible Ebstein-Barr virus syndrome (commonly called chronic fatigue syndrome)?

I assume Green is day-to-day as well as Cerveny.  We should ride the momentum of this win into tomorrow's tilt and defeat Colorado Mines handily.  We definitely needs Green and Jones for Mich Tech and USD.

Thanks for the post Filbert.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Hey, Jackmd...

Jones "didn't feel good" today. Not sure if that's cause for concern or not.

Didn't hear an attendance, sounded like a lively crowd, though. They actually started 'let's go rabbits' cheers when we got up by 8 (it reminded me of what Kansas fans do at Allen Fieldhouse...when you got them down, keep 'em there!) That was good to hear.

Schantz shot an NBA 3-pointer tonight. If he's consistently hitting from outside, he'll be impossible for opponents to match up with, given Moeller's and Richardson's play, especially if DeJong can step up and give some quality minutes from the post.

It would be very interesting to hear what UND coach Glas is thinking tonight after watching SDSU clobber Winona.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is the game story from the Winona Daily News:
                  It looks like Winona had a few players missing too. I think we are getting to that point in the season where it important to have a healthy roster who play together as a team.
                   I am concerned about Jones.  Those immune and fatigue symtoms might indicate something else, but what the heck I am not a MD. I will leave that diagnosis to Jackmd.

Published - Monday, December 29, 2003

Jackrabbits too much for Warriors

By The Winona Daily News

BROOKINGS, S.D. — Playing a team the caliber of South Dakota State University, Mike Leaf was hoping for a good performance Sunday from his Winona State University men's basketball team.  
                  The Jackrabbits, who are ranked third in the nation in NCAA Division II, dominated the Warriors in every aspect of the game and rolled to a 102-65 victory in the Jackrabbit Holiday Classic at Frost Arena.

The loss snapped a three-game winning streak for WSU, which is now 6-4. SDSU improves to 14-0.

"You just hope when you play in a game like this that you do better," Leaf said. "They outplayed us in every category. This one is a hard one to swallow."

Derrick Schantz, Andy Moeller and Marquise Richardson combined to outscored WSU by themselves. Schantz, a 6-foot-6 senior, led all scorers with 26 points and in the process went over 1,000 career points.

Moeller added 24 points and Richardson finished with 17 for SDSU, which shot 51 percent (35 of 69) for the game. The Jackrabbits also held a commanding 47-34 rebounding advantage and forced Winona State into 22 turnovers.

Travis Leech led the way for the Warriors with 16 points. David Zellmann and Ryan Brinkman both chipped in 11.  

WSU is still playing without its top two point guards. Zach Malvik is still nursing a foot injury and John Hopf is out with an ankle injury and the flu.

"It was an unbelievably physical game," Leaf said. "We have to learn from our mistakes. This is great competition for us."

The Warriors take on the University of North Dakota at 3 p.m. today in their final game of the tournament. UND (8-4) defeated the Colorado School of Mines 79-69 in overtime Sunday.

Comment

The Jacks looked really good last night.  So good in fact that Scott Nagy sounded pleased in the post game interview on WNAX.  I agree the Jared DeJong looked good (maybe the best he has looked in a Jackrabbit Uniform).  I didn't see what happened to Joe Green in the first half, but the good news is that he did walk to the locker room under his own power.  Let's hope it isn't too bad.  I thought that Matt Jones missed the game because of the hyper-extension of his knee.  I had not heard anything about him not feeling well  ???  

Anyway, everyone needs to get healthy before our "hell week".  I am pretty sure we won't need our walking wounded to beat the Orediggers tonight (they didn't look that impressive).

Here is the Argus Story about last night's game.

SDSU men crush Winona St., win 14th straight game

From staff reports

published: 12/29/2003

Derrick Schantz and Andy Moeller combined for 50 points as South Dakota State won its 14th straight game, defeating Winona State 102-65 Sunday during the SDSU Holiday Classic at Frost Arena.

The Classic featured four games, two men, two men, all in Brookings.

Schantz led the Jacks with 26 points and his last basket, a three-pointer from the top of the key, made him the 36th player in SDSU history to reach 1,000 career points.

Moeller added 24 as he scored 12 points in the first seven minutes, helping the Jacks to a 23-16 lead.

After Moeller finished the first half with 18 points, Schantz scored 18 in the second half as SDSU outscored WSU 57-32.

WSU (6-4) was led by Travis Leech, with 16 points and six rebounds.

WINONA STATE (MINN.) (6-4)

Jeff O'Donnell 1-3 1-2 3; Travis Leech 7-15 0-0 16; Justin Redetzke 1-4 0-0 3; Jon Urbach 1-6 2-2 4; David Zellmann 4-9 2-2 11;Ryan Brinkman 4-6 3-6 11; Eric Doster 2-5 0-0 6; Andy Nett 2-4 0-0 4; Chad Barfknecht 1-3 0-1 3; Nate Coleman 1-5 0-1 2; Joe Ingvalson 1-3 0-0 2. Totals 25-63 8-14 65.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (14-0)

Derrick Schantz 9-13 3-3 26; Joe Green 2-4 1-2 5; Jared DeJong 3-3 3-4 9; Andy Moeller 9-21 4-5 24; Marquise Richardson 5-11 7-8 17; Andy Kleinjan 3-4 0-0 6; Ben Beran 2-2 0-1 4; Brady Hokenson 1-2 0-0 2; Calvin Melaney 0-2 2-2 2; Jake Wenig 1-7 0-0 2. Totals 35-69 25-31 102.

Halftime score - SDSU 45, Winona 33. 3-Pt FG - WSU 7-27 (Leech 2-4; Doster 2-5; Zellmann 1-5; Redetzke 1-4; Barfknecht 1-3; Coleman 0-2; Joe Ingvalson 0-1; Urbach 0-2; Nett 0-1), SDSU 7-20 (Schantz 5-7; Moeller 2-8; Green 0-1; Wenig 0-3; Richardson 0-1). Rebounds-WSU 34 (Leech 6), SDSU 47 (Wenig 7; DeJong 7). Total fouls-WSU 26, SDSU 18. Fouled out - WSU, Andy Nett. Assists-WSU 16 (Barfknecht 4), SDSU 15 (Richardson 4). Steals-WSU 7 (Redetzke 2, Coleman 2), SDSU 14 (Moeller 6, Richardson 6). Turnovers-WSU 22, SDSU 11. A-2,929.

Comment

SDSUFAN, filbert, & JackMD,

You guys are right.  I just read in the paper that Matt Jones didn't play last night because he was not feeling well.  Did they talk about it during last night's pre-game?  The Register didn't give any details.

Comment

Yes Jones health concerns me, but its odd that he having such a hard time shaking this illness. Thats the scary part.  A Nagy practice would give me at a minimum a massive cornary. That would be three minutes into practice. So its got to be tough on the kids but they keep coming back to Practice  ???

UND came from behind to beat Winona

North Dakota comes back from 12 points down to beat Winona State 69-65

12/29/2003

Mike Johnson scores 22 points as the Sioux enter conference play with a 9-4 mark

Box Score

Brookings, S.D. — The North Dakota men’s basketball team rallied from a 12-point second half deficit to beat Winona State 69-65 Monday afternoon at the South Dakota State Holiday Basketball Classic.

Junior Mike Johnson led the way for North Dakota, scoring a game-high 22 points on 5-of-7 shooting, including a perfect 11-for-11 from the free throw line. He also had six rebounds, three helpers and a steal.

Junior Todd Rypkema followed up his 20-20 performance a night ago with a 17-point, 7-rebounds game. In the two games in the tournament, Rypkema averaged 21 points and 14.5 rebounds.

Sophomore Evan Lindahl finished the game scoring 16 points, on 5-of-11 shooting, with four of those coming from behind the arc. He also had four rebounds, two blocks, a steal and an assist. Senior Jade Jahner (10) was also in double-figures.

David Zellman lead all Winona State (6-5) scorers, posting 21 points on 8-of-16 shooting. Travis Leech added 15 points, on 6-of-9 shooting, before going out in the second half with a leg injury. Justin Redetzke (10) was also in double-figures.

With 13:35 left in the game, Winona State’s David Zellman drained a three-pointer to give the Warriors a 49-37 advantage.

The Sioux (9-4) went on an 8-0 run to pull within four points, 49-45, that was capped off by a Jahner layup. Winona State got their lead back to eight points on several occasions, the last coming after a layup by Justin Redetz gave the Warriors a 55-47 lead with 7:51 left.

A 10-2 run by North Dakota tied the game at 57-57 at the 5:42 mark that Lindahl capped off with a layup.

That tie was short lived as Winona State went on a 5-0 run to lead 62-57 with Nate Coleman hitting a jumper and Zellman connecting on a three-pointer.

After Jeff O’Donnell’s free throw with 2:52 to play gave Winona a 63-59 lead, Jahner cut the margin to two before Lindahl hit a three-pointer to put North Dakota on top 64-63. Then Jahner added two more free throws and Johnson hit another pair before Zellman scored for Winona with five seconds left. Jahner added another foul shot with three seconds left for the final margin.

North Dakota will open the North Central Conference schedule next Friday and Saturday when the Sioux travel to Minnesota State (Jan. 9) and St. Cloud State (Jan. 10). Both games start at 8 p.m.

Comment

DwR: All Nagy said last night on the pre-game was that Matt didn't feel well and wasn't going to play. He said it had nothing to do with his knee.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I was afraid Jones might not be "feeling well." There is a lot of speculation about "chronic fatigue syndrome" and I can send info to anyone interested, just contact me by e-mail. I don't personally subscribe to the idea. The vast majority of people who contract mononucleosis (Ebstein-Barr virus) recover without consequence.

I think a decision needs to be made regarding Jones' status ASAP. This team is much better with him but can compete without him. If he his not able to contribute everyone needs to know now so we can make adjustments.

Women handled SWMSU without much trouble. Nice to see Brenda Davis hit a few 3's. She has had a difficult early season, no doubt related to the stalking issue.

We should handle Colorado Mines without much trouble. Once again I can't connect via WNAX (this problem needs to be addressed ASAP and NO EXCUSES like bandwidth or server capability) so keep me up-to-date Filbert. Thanks in advance. GO JACKS 14-0 is sure as hell impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                              Once again I can't connect via WNAX (this problem needs to be addressed ASAP and NO EXCUSES like bandwidth or server capability) so keep me up-to-date Filbert.  Thanks in advance.  GO JACKS 14-0 is sure as hell impressive.
                              Jacks up 50-32 at the half.

Sorry to say jackmd, but I'm listening to the game on WNAX via my computer with no problems. Hopefully you can get them online soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X