Michigan Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Tech

They haven't played since December 10th. A bit of rust, perhaps? Let's hope. The've averaged 69 points and give up 57. SDSU's averages were 91 and 71 before this weekend's games. The Rabbits will want to run, the Huskies will want to slow it down.

Bad news for the Huskies...they're being outrebounded 31-36 per game. They're averaging .416 from 3-point range, SDSU averages .418 though, so that's a wash. They're also turning the ball over more than their opponents. How the heck are they 8-0? They must be playing witheringly tough defense...their opponents are only shooting .351.

They're 8-0. But we're 15-0. I can't wait for Saturday.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Michigan Tech

Great info filbert. This one will be a war. Let's Go Rabbits! Here is the web site for MTU in case anyone wants more info.

http://www.athletics.mtu.edu/MBB/mbb.html

Comment

This will be a war. I hope we have all our weapons available. Even though this game is not as important as a conference game it would esstablish us well in the National Rankings and provide confidence that we can beat a tough/quality opponent on the road! Will be tuning in online with WNAX.

Comment

Looks like SDSU will effectively be #2 in D-II when they meet Michigan Tech...Montana State-Billings beat Humboldt. Too bad the next rankings aren't out until Jan. 13.

http://www.msubillings.edu/athletics...BB%20game7.htm
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

In our hearts we will know we are now #2!

Comment

Story from the Houghton paper
            http://www.mininggazette.com/loclspts.html#topstory

Long lull ends with stiffest test to date

By JEFF ARNOLD
            Gazette Writer
            HOUGHTON:The Michigan Tech men's basketball team will attempt to shake off 23 days of inactivity when its host nationally-ranked South Dakota State in a non-conference matchup Saturday in Houghton.
            The Huskies (8-0 overall) have sat idle since a 65-62 victory over Northwood on Dec. 10. But Tech can't afford to be lethargic against the Jackrabbits, who enter the game undefeated at 15-0 and ranked No. 3 in the latest national poll.
            Tech has opened each of its last three season 8-0, but face the toughest challenge of the year to date on Saturday. The Huskies will be out to avenge last year's 67-66 loss at SDSU.

"We can only get better from playing against this team," veteran MTU head coach Kevin Luke said. (SDSU) is very well coached, they have very disciplined players, they can shoot well (and) they can rebound, Luke said. "We aren't making it any bigger, but we are making it a game that we want to come and play well.I want us to try and get better, it is a great measuring stick."

The Huskies are led by the talented junior duo of Josh Buettner and Jason Marcotte.
            Buettner leads the team in scoring with 20.9 points per game and in rebounds with 6.2, while Marcotte is averaging 17.8 ppg and a team-leading 3.5 assists per game.
            Senior Jeff McHenry ranks third on the team in scoring with 9.0 ppg and second in rebounds with 4.8.
            As a team, Tech is averaging 69.1 ppg and boasts a 11.5 average margin of victory. The Huskies are only turning the ball over 11.1 times a game, 3.5 less than their opponents.
            "We may not be as deep offensively as the teams in the past," Luke said, "but we might be a bit better as a team defensively."
            For the Jackrabbits, Andy Moeller averages 16.5 ppg and Matt Jones chips in 12.0 ppg and 6.3 rpg, both good for second on the team.

For a complete version of this story, please see the print edition of The Daily Mining Gazette.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It is good to hear that they are not as deep as they have been in the past. Many times this year teams have hung with the Jacks until we wore them down. This is going to be a tough game. Don't forget we have an unusual start time 1 PM central. Go Jacks!

Comment

Any word on whether Matt Jones, Joe Green and Josh Cervaney will play? Would love to have Jones in the middle for this one. Although we have to be pleased with the play of Jared DeJong.

Comment

Word around Brookings (just water cooler talk) is that Green and Cerveny should be good to go.  There has been a lot of speculation about Jones but not much news.  Very tight lipped, so I am not sure about him.  Let's hope he is ready to play, we will need him!

Comment

Michigan Tech has video!

http://streams.mtu.edu:8081/ramgen/b...st/huskyvid.rm
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wow what a first half! Up by 8 on a very good team's home floor! We do need to watch the turnovers. DeJong is having another really good game! Go Jacks!

Comment

I cant pick up either stream today, Any new updates...PLEASE !!!

Comment

Jacks up by four, 12 seconds left...
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Final SDSU 64, MTU 60!

16-0 Baby, 16-0!
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

ALLL RIIIGHT !!!!!!!
                              Beating them at their house is HUGE !!!!
                              That should be the toughest game of the regular season, USD is next... The Jacks will be undefeated going into Frost next Friday. I cant wait. Any word on Jones? How was Nagys post game interview? He has to be happy about this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X