NCC race...if it can be called that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCC race...if it can be called that

Mankato's starting PG, Zach Ziekow, a former starter at Univ. of Ohio left the team this week, a huge blow to them.  He was a strong PG who was very sure handed, not a scoreer persay but a classic point.  This should bring them down to the middle of the pack with the rest of the league with the exception of SDSU and maybe USD, I'm not sold on them yet, call it the Boots/Mueller effect.  Omaha has been up and down, but still are winning.  They're a strange team if you look at their stats, 10 guys averaging 15+ minutes a game and no one averaging more than 11 ppg.  It's shaping up to be one of the more interesting years in the NCC.

Re: NCC race...if it can be called that

D,

Welcome to the Jackrabbit board.  I think you are right, the NCC is wide open once you drop below the South Dakota schools.  I like you think the Coyotes will fade at the end like they always do.  I thought Mankato might be a dark horse but their chances will be hurt by the loss you mentioned.  My list as of  today goes like this,

1. SDSU
    2. USD
    3. Mankato
    4. St. Cloud
    5. UNO
    6. NDSU
    7. UND
    8. Augie

but anything could happen. The only two I feel sure about are SDSU at #1 and Augie at #8. Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by DanceswithRabbits
      D,

Welcome to the Jackrabbit board.  I think you are right, the NCC is wide open once you drop below the South Dakota schools.  I like you think the Coyotes will fade at the end like they always do.  I thought Mankato might be a dark horse but their chances will be hurt by the loss you mentioned.  My list as of  today goes like this,

1. SDSU
      2. USD
      3. Mankato
      4. St. Cloud
      5. UNO
      6. NDSU
      7. UND
      8. Augie

but anything could happen.  The only two I feel sure about are SDSU at #1 and Augie at #8.  Go Jackrabbits!
      This is one of the worst NDSU teams that I have seen in a long time, and that is a mouthfull considering some of the teams they've had in the past.  I'd be SHOCKED if they got higher than 7th.  I've seen them play 3 times this year, and they have no inside game as is always the case, and are even more undersized then ever, often starting a 6'3" guard at PF, and in the NCC that doesn't get it done.  In regards to UND, with all of the injuries to key guys they are a true TEAM.  Their talent is very limited off the bench, but their top 6 are fairly heady basketball players.  They have a chance to sneak into the top 4-5.  St. Cloud, I still am not too sure about as I haven't paid much attention.  UNO's depth intriuges me, but I still don't know if it is quality depth.  I just hate USD, though, moreover Boots and Mueller.  After we got the biggest screw job in the history of sports in Vermillion last year it only fueled my hatred of them further.  I'm sure those feelings are mutual with all on this board, though.  

Comment

I would concur with most of your predictions with the exception of UNO finishing 5th. I think they have the team to finish in the top 4. They have been very inconsistent in the pre-conference schedule, however I feel they have the talent to beat most anyone in the conference.

Comment

I dont think SDSU wants to take any member of the NCC lightly.  They have to be prepared to play and play well.  Mr. D says NDSU is the worst he has seen in years and that may be. Wednesday when I was driving to Fargo for social reasons, I was listening to WDAY and the Bison and Mayville.  NDSU got off to a very slow start and was down to Mayville 7-2 and then I dont recall which player got a 3 pointer, but after that first three, Bison were a completely different team and in my opinion, would be very competitive in the NCC.
          NDSU had beaten NSU the night before by 20 pts.

I think the Jacks have to worry about   two things. No 1, they have the target on their back for winning the NCC championship and tourney. 2. Being over confident, could put L's on the team record. The other members are starting to come together as a team. UND and NDSU both seem to be coming together in their past few games.  The other teams will too, but my point is SDSU has to play to win and not do it in a half hazzard manner, by taking some one like Augie lightly.

Comment

What I've learned in watching the NCC over the years is that nothing is a sure thing. Who could have imagined SDSU having a great year in 2002-2003 with all those injuries? Likewise, I've watched bad teams beat good teams on many occasions. That's the problem SDSU faces right now. Every team they play will be "up and gunning" for them. The question is whether SDSU will be able to "get up" for every game. That is a very difficult thing to do.

Comment

Not to call anybody out, but expectations should be high for SDSU this year. We have talent and depth at every position (with perhaps the exception of depth at shooting gaurd, both Q and Andy can play point).

It is the coaching staffs responsibilty to make sure the team is prepared for each game and comes out with intensity every night. No one can argue with Nagy's abilities or credentials with the exception that he is yet to win the "big" game.

Obviously, a perfect season cannot but assumed in any sport, but there is nothing wrong with expecting it!! Never underestimate your opponent (coaches) and always play your hardest/best or someone else should be on the court/field.

I expect this team to win the NCC, host and win the regional, and be competative in the Elite 8. I think each and everyone of you who are SDSU fans should also! I am certain this is exactly what the players and coaches expect.

With regards to final NCC standings I see it like this:

1 SDSU
              2 USD/UNO
              4 UND
              5 St. Cloud
              6 NDSU
              7 Mankato
              8 Augie

I think there is a chance that 3 teams could make the regional if if UNO or UND split with SDSU/USD (winning on their homecourt) and sweep on their road weekend at ND for UNO or at UNO for UND. We all know that no one is winning at Frost this year except the Jacks and as D explained earlier it is hard to win at USD even when you deserve to!!

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

As "D" reported, the loss of Kiekow to the MSU team will definitely hurt our depth at guard. I don't know if there was a personality conflict or personal problems involved. However, even without him, I feel MSU can surprise some teams this year, and have a valid chance to finish in the top four.

Comment

I agree, I think Margenthaler will do good things with the Mankato program.

SDSU may be leaving the NCC but I expect MSU-M to look a LOT like SDSU in the coming years with Margenthaler and former SDSU players as his assistants (Schott, Hansen). That bodes very well for basketball success in Mankato. Like most programs in the "new NCC" they'll be second-fiddle to a D-I hockey program, but their coaching staff has good bloodlines.

I'd expect if Margenthaler and Nagy stay at their respective positions for a few years, that Margenthaler may get some almost-D-I players that Nagy turns up but who don't fit at SDSU.

Pretty good long-term situation for MSU-M, I'd say.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Minnesota State will become my new favorite NCC school
                    as the Jacks make the final exit this year. Of course I want to see Marganthaler,Schott and Hanson have the same same excitement and success they had in Brookings.

Comment

Jackguy and Filbert---you are absolutely right in that MSU is fortunate to acquire assistants and players from Coach Nagy's program. The professionalism and discipline exhibited by these gentlemen is apparent in the gradual resurgence of our program. As much as I will miss seeing the Jacks play both at Mankato and at Brookings vs. the Mavs, on the plus side it will make our road to a conference championship in more attainable in future years. I'm excited for the Jacks and Bison as they begin their division I adventures next year.

Comment

Sioux just got a big pick-me-up as it was officially announced that Aaron Austin is back with the team, playing this weekend, after not going to school the first semester. You may remember him at UNC as a redshirt FR in the top 10 in the league in scoring and I believe 5th in 3%. THis is huge as he is a definate difference maker. Hopefully it doesn't take him long to get back in the mix of things. The Sioux will surprise some teams, I wouldn't count them or St. Cloud out, as they are the 2 real wildcards in the NCC this year.

Comment

I'd rate the Sioux as an especially dangerous team. It looks like they've got it going recently after a very rocky start. An overtime loss to Minnesota-Duluth is no shame (as our mutual friends from Vermillion discovered). Including that game, UND is 8-1 in their last 9 games.

No, D, I don't think it's likely that the Jacks will take the Sioux for granted.

Elsewhere, NDSU has run off a few straight wins and goes into St. Cloud who's lost two straight. We'll see what the Bison have--if they pull out a win, then we'll have another very dangerous team on our hands.

Heck, the NCC is full of dangerous teams. Even Augie (they beat Southwest at Marshall...)
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Went out to the NCC web site...there have been 36 double-doubles by NCC players so far this year. SDSU players have 12 of them.

Eight different SDSU players.

St. Cloud has seven, from five players.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                            X