USD/UNO...#1 At Stake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD/UNO...#1 At Stake

With Southern Indiana's home loss to Lewis Friday night and the Jacks' road win at Michigan Tech, SDSU is poised to move into the #1 position in the D-II poll. Only two things standing in the way: USD, and UNO.

Fill Frost FOR BOTH GAMES, let's show D-II how it's done!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: USD/UNO...#1 At Stake

Bring on the Yotes. I agree with Nagy that we can't lose focus on UNO. Le'ts fill up Frost for the UNO game as well!

Comment

Polls are meaningless until the end of the season. The only thing they do is give fans something to argue about. I believe polls (except for regional polls) place an unwanted burden on young people so old people can go out and argue among themselves. Then, when a number one team falters, the opposing fans begin that humiliating cheer and stupid cheer ... "Over rated, over rated!"

Comment

Then call me an old guy, I want SDSU to be #1! I will look at it as recognition and validation of all the hard work the kids have put into the season so far.

Comment

Are the polls really meaningless?  How are the regional rankings determined?  I would think a teams national ranking has some merit regarding regional ranking as well as selection to the post-season.

The chants of "over-rated" are harmless.  A team that has pride in itself and its abilities does not allow opposing crowds to affect its confidence or its accomplishments.

If SDSU can attain the #1 ranking in the nation it should be celebrated.  The ultimate goal should be #1 in the region and hosting the regional.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Hate to disagree, Jackmd, but the ultimate goal is cutting down the nets in Bakersfield.

This could be The Year. The target is already on the Rabbits' backs...just go over and look at the UND discussion board...some of the Sioux fans have already ceded the NCC to SDSU.

http://66.220.1.104/forums/index.php?showtopic=1217

But first, we need to beat the Coyotes. Then the Mavericks.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Filbert trumped me and I agree, nets down in Bakersfield is the only goal. First I would like to see a regional championship at Frost arena.

USD made 20 3-pointers last night. Granted it was against Dana. This highlights my concerns about guarding the 3-point line. USD's inside game is virtually non-existent and we need to force them to drive. Lets start our defense at half-court and defend the 3-point line agressively.

UNO barely beat Morningside and Augie just slipped by DWU. St. Cloud lost.

Saturday, 01/03/2004
              Men's Basketball
              Nebraska-Omaha 75
              Morningside 73

South Dakota State 64
              Michigan Tech 60

North Dakota State 77
              Northland 55

Northern Michigan 81
              St. Cloud State 80

South Dakota 122
              Dana 68

Augustana 81
              Dakota Wesleyan 78
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

One thing that may have led to the close game between UNO and Morningside is that the AD Jerry Schumtte is back coaching the Mustangs.  Jerry is a very good coach and that is who Troy Larson played for and coach under before coming to SDSU.  Schumttee has a knack for working the refs, but he can also make some very average athletes look good.  So if we play  Morningside next year and I wont be surprised if they show up on the schedule, we probably will get a good game.

Comment

Wow what a GREAT time to be a Rabbit fan! ;D The University is moving to D-I, we are 16-0, we should be #1 in the next D-II poll and the next game on the schedule is USD! Can't wait, I am leaving for Brookings Thursday after work!

Go State!

Comment

Allow me to provide the reasons I believe the national polls don't mean much. As I said in my previous entry, the exception on the polls is certainly the regional rankings, but I'll address that in a moment.

The national rankings for Division II in my mind has more credibility than Division I. In Division II, the "pollsters" are coaches from around the United States. In Division I, even though there is a coaches poll, the poll everyone talks about is the AP poll (sportswriters). I'm sorry but there is no way for each of those coaches (in the DII poll) to see in person each team they are considering for inclusion. For the most part, they look at records and head to head competition. In other words, they are judging things they have never seen. I'm wondering if that could work at the State Fair. People could just send pictures of their pigs, give their statistics (height, weight, etc.) and then judges could award the blue ribbon.

I digress. By the way, if pollsters are so bright, why did it take until February of last year for Syracuse to break the Top 25 in the Division I poll and then go on to win the Big Dance?

The regional rankings are important. Even then, there have been several times when the NCAA Selection Committee has ignored the regional rankings and included teams which were ranked lower in the polls, thereby ousting higher ranked teams. By the way, history has shown that even if a team is ranked #1 in their region it doesn't guarantee they will host a regional tournament. Other factors are considered and this has caused great anguish among athletic directors and coaches.

Like I wrote in a previous note, national polls are for old people to argue amongst themselves.

Comment

Alumguy, I understand what you are saying, polls are just a snap shoot of where some people think your team is today.  That being said why wouldn't you want to be considered the best, despite the inherent flaws of the system.

As far as regional rankings and hosting, they are more important because they help decide who gets in and who hosts.  You are correct when you say that the #1 team in the region does not always get to host the regionals.  One of the big factors that the NCAA looks at is who can bring in the most money.  SDSU has benefited over the years because we draw large crowds.  If I recall correctly we still hold the record for attendance in the NCAA play-off game.

Again, I agree with you that mid-season polls have very little to do with our ultimate goal of a National Championship, but aren't they fun?    As far as being for old guys you might be right, but then again so are chat boards.   ;D  

Here's to SDSU the #1 team in the land, with or without poll validation!   8)

Comment

Alum Guy:
                        I agree with what you said and polls are for old people to argue about. Gee I am an old guy, why am not arguing, too busy enjoying my retirement I guess ;D

Granted the tough long haul in D1, will be gaining respect of the AP pollsters. That is going to be a task for any of those schools leaving D2 for D1AA and D1 in other sports.

Comment

Polls may be meaningless, but they are a part of sports and give players and fans a snapshot of where they stack up against other teams. I do agree the DII poll is probably less scrutinized than some of the DI polls and I wish they were updated for frequently. I do think in Basketball with the number of games you play and with the crossover with regions playing each other you can get a barometer of where your team ranks.

Comment

Does anyone know when the students return from Holiday Break? I would expect a large contingnet of our 10,000 plus students will be in attendence.

Comment

I think classes resume on the 7th or 8th, The timing of this game is perfect. few students will return home after spending the past two weeks on Christmas break. I hope they have a lot of energy that they have been saving up to unleash on the Yotes on Friday night. Get in line early, the students will be getting in on their ID's- not a set #of tickets dispensed (first come first serve) we could concievably have 6-7,000 STUDENTS alone attending this game. The arena opens at 5:00 pm. I assume they wont allow more than 9,000 in Frost due to fire marshal orders. It's almost time!! I wouldnt be shocked if conference officials are in attendence for this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X