Favorite SDSU vs. USD Moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite SDSU vs. USD Moments

I like remembering great moments. Since this will be the last time we play USD as an NCC opponent I thought it would be fun to remember great moments in our rivalry.

Without doubt, my greatest memory of a dunk in Frost Arena was when Greg Himler dunked a ball over two Coyotes during a critical moment late in the game (1995 or 1996?) Anyway, Frost Arena absolutely exploded. It wasn't more than 20 seconds later that we intercepted a pass and Jason Schuetz dunked the ball again. After his dunk, Schuetz ran past the people sitting (now standing) in the courside seats and high fived those fans all the way back down the court. It was a fantastic moment!

Re: Favorite SDSU vs. USD Moments

Originally posted by Alumguy
    Without doubt, my greatest memory of a dunk in Frost Arena was when Greg Himler dunked a ball over two Coyotes during a critical moment late in the game (1995 or 1996?)
    Great moment to remember, even if I recall that Himler was actually called for traveling on the dunk.

My greatest memory, last year's women's regional final. Great moment for SDSU and the women's team to beat hated USD on their way to the national championship.

Comment

I went to a lot of State games as a kid and my fondest memory was when Barry Glanzer was playing for the U. As many of you may recall, he had kind of a big hairdo that was always perfectly styled. When they announced the starting lineups and Glanzer went out onto the floor the Frost fans threw about 500 combs onto the floor.

Memories from other games include whiskey bottles, firecrackers, and a live duck. Honest.

Comment

This is going to be very ancient to some of you but the 1956-57 was by far very intense competition between SDSU-USD.

The game in Brookings at the old barn was a complete sell out and what was very new technology, closed circuit TV, allowed the game to be piped to the State Theater in Brookings. I went to the State Theater to drink of the new technology with high school friends, and saw empty seats underneath the basket. Sell outs were then and are now sometimes misleading. The Barn held 3500 at most and yet there were people seating on steel beams trying to get a view above the bleachers. The year before, a number of whiskey bottles were confinscated. They only had one or two campus cops so more were deputized for this game.

Jacks won in Brookings the Yotes won in Vermillion and the NCC was seven teams giving both a 11-1 tie at season end and a playoff game to see who made the first representation in the NCAA regional playoff. Huron Arena was the largest seating capacity in South Dakota with 6500 was the sight for the play off game won by the Yotes. USD went to the elite eight losing to Wheaton College in the first round. The next year USD won it all. That is not take away from our 1963 big NC.

USD had a Brookings player by the name of Roger Nelson, who at the time was kind of pegged as a bad boy and nothing could have been further from the truth.
        Also Clodfelter the USD coach was a good friend of the coach from Seton Hall, who knew of the Daniels brothers, who Seton Hall wanted to recruit, but had run out of scholarships. Add to that team Maury Haugland from Murdo and Clayt Kiewel from Rapid City and you had a great team that even I could have coached.

SDSU had great athletes too, Darrell Corlett, from Brookings who only played on year in High School but became a good inside player for Jim Iverson. Also Jim Sutton one of SDSU best was on that team as was his Onida teammate Kent Hyde. Also a very classy guy who I had as a practice teacher at Brookings High Del Eisenbraum from Delmont. There were the Scriber brothers from Agar, and man was that a good team, and the only one that could stop us was of course USD.

Comment

The Himler dunk is the best dunk I have ever seen, it was Jordanesque! He literally jumped over two Yotes. Frost went crazy. Does anyone know what he is up to these days??

Comment

I have my SDSU Alumni CD loaded and ready to go and I check to see what was listed for Greg Himler. He is doing pretty good as a Payout Commission Manager with a Secuities and Brokerage firm, in Chicago and lives in Palo Hills a Southern suburb of Chicago. The name of the firm he works with is Refco, so I would say he got a good education at SDSU besides making those unbelievable dunks. He was hardly Jared DeJong in height, but had that ability to get up in the air like some famous Chicago Bull.

Comment

Working...
            X