USD Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Game

To all planning on going to the SDSU-usd game on Jan 9th at Frost. get your tickets. Reserved has been sold out for several weeks and General Admission are going fast-may be gone by end of this week. An announcement is going to be made shortly on when the arena will open up and how many will get in. I would think that the students will be the wild card here, they can all get in with ID's unless they make them get tickets before game night. This is one of those time I wish Frost held 11,000.

Re: USD Game

I'm hearing this is close to a sellout. Hopefully the USD fans are tardy in getting their seats and we have a minority of USD fans. I envision with that crowd a repeat of the playoff game against Cal Hawyard with the fans yelling "We want the Rabbits" prior to the Jacks taking the floor. I also hope we have a big crowd for UNO as they will be tough!

Comment

For those of you who will not be able to make it to Frost for the game (that includes me, wife is due with 2nd daughter on Jan 7th ;D) and who cannot get WNAX via the airwaves there is an alternative to the WNAX webcast. I know the difficulty with connecting via the WNAX website which I am sure you have all experienced. Most of you are probably aware of the option to connect via the opposing teams website, regardless of the opponent. Having attended USD for medical school (only because SDSU does not have one) I have used there website frequently. I have never had difficulty connecting via their "listen live link".

So, if you have difficulty on the 9th with the WNAX website, which I anticipate will be flooded. Try www.USD.edu and listen to their broadcast. Not only do you get to hear the Jacks kick the Coyotes asses you get to hear there announcers whine like their players (I mean you Mueller), coaches and fans. Its actually quite fun.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think the upcoming usd game could be the new "game of the century"replacing the Cal-Hayward game in '85. It will be the end of an era playing usd, both teams highly ranked, SDSU could be #1. and the thing that was totally missing in 85 was... over 100 years of blood hatred of usd that will be exercised on Jan 9th in Frost.(we didnt even know who CS-H was at the time) also we will be playing against the biggest ASS in all of collegiant athletics- Josh Mueller. All of these factors will come together for a game the likes we as Jacks fans may have never witnessed before. I'm hoping that todays students can look back on this game in 25 years as fondly as we look back on the Cal game.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          For those of you who will not be able to make it to Frost for the game (that includes me, wife is due with 2nd daughter on Jan 7th ;D) and who cannot get WNAX via the airwaves there is an alternative to the WNAX webcast.  I know the difficulty with connecting via the WNAX website which I am sure you have all experienced.  Most of you are probably aware of the option to connect via the opposing teams website, regardless of the opponent.  Having attended USD for medical school (only because SDSU does not have one) I have used there website frequently.  I have never had difficulty connecting via their "listen live link".  

So, if you have difficulty on the 9th with the WNAX website, which I anticipate will be flooded.  Try www.USD.edu and listen to their broadcast.  Not only do you get to hear the Jacks kick the Coyotes asses you get to hear there announcers whine like their players (I mean you Mueller), coaches and fans.  Its actually quite fun.  
          jackmd,

Congrats on expecting your 2nd baby bunny. Our second one is due on the 4th of July. That is a pretty good excuse to miss the game, glad you will be listening.

Go State, Screw the U!

Comment

Being a graduate of Hamlin High School (91'). I remember very well listening to Mark Tetzlaff (Hamlin 82'), Mark Schultz (DeSmet 82 or 83) and the other men at my uncles house in DeSmet. You could sense the excitement on the crowd over the radio. I was only 12 years old at the time but I will not forget the excitment that game and the subsequent games brought to the whole state of SD.

I don't get the sense that the more recent regional appearances and championships have garnered the same statewide audience and excitement. Part of the problem, I think, is the inclusion of some lesser quality teams from the RMAC and NSIC. This was often due to an upest in the post-season conference tourney with the automatic bid going to the upset winner and subsequent spots to RMAC and NSIC teams instead of more deserving NCC teams. Granted, I will miss the excitement of hosting the Regional tourney at Frost arena. The first opportunity to travel to a first round NCAA tourney site will easily wipe away that empty feeling .
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I am really looking forward to this game, no doubt it will be sold out! Both schools nationaly ranked SDSU #3, USD #5, last meeting at Frost as equals. The arena will look like it does in my Avatar! Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

89Rabbit steered me (88' BSEE) to check out the Jackrabbit boards. Looks pretty cool and I think I'll stay awhile. Due to a move 1400 miles west of my former Minnesota home, I'll have to listen to the game on the WNAX webcast. I'm kind of bummed about missing an electric Frost atmosphere. However, talk about the 85 Hayward game brings back great memories. My buddies and I sat in line outside Frost for a long time and got great seats for the game. I'll always remember the Hayward players coming out before warmups to take pictures of the capacity crowd. What a great night!

Some here may also remember the Regionals that were also played in Frost that year. I don't remember who the teams were, but on the first night School A was playing School B before the Jacks took on School C. Anyhow, School A was kicking the crap out of School B while Jackrabbit fans filled the seats for the second game. On the end of the School A bench was the lone player who hadn't seen any playing time that evening. He was still in his warmup while the rest of his team had seen action. Some Jackrabbit fans started to yell for the coach to put the poor fella into the game. The cheering gained momentum until most of the place was chanting "We want Bob" or whatever his name was. Finally, the coach relented, signaled to the crowd that he was granting its wish, and put Bob into the game. The crowd went nuts. Then, with the crowd rooting for Bob to get the ball, and with time running short, Bob put up a jumper and scored. The 8,000+ people in the joint went crazy! I'll never forget that moment and I'm sure Bob will never forget it either.

Comment

Crashola,

Welcome home! You are going to love this board, a bunch of great guys. Thanks for the memory, I had forgotten about Bob, but as soon as you started the story it all came back to me.

To bad you can't make the Game, I think I have one extra ticket.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Speaking of waiting in line, I was one of the thousands who waited at least 2 hours in the bitter cold in March of 1998 to watch SDSU/Northern in the regional championship at Frost.  That year we had the best team since 1985 and we all expected a national title run.  One of the most disappointing losses ever.  I still can't cheer for Mike Miller thanks to his brother!!  Here is a brief synapsis from NSU website:

Wolves-Jackrabbits II. South Dakota State was the top seed, ranked fourth in the nation and had thousands of Jacks backers many of whom waited outside for two hours in frigid weather before the ticket window opened ready to annoint their team as back-to-back North Central Region champions and watch the Wolves play second fiddle in South Dakota for the second time this season (the Jacks edged NSU 88-87 in Brookings earlier in the year). But that did not happen, as the Wolves made the most of their second chance and stunned the Jacks crowd into silence with an 88-82 win. It was SDSUs first post-season loss at Frost Arena and broke a 22-game home win streak.

First team All American Ryan Miller was simply superhuman at State, exploding for 45 points on a sizzling 9-of-15 shooting from 3-point range. Down the stretch, Miller put the team on this shoulders, scoring 29 in the second half and 20 of his team's last 27 points. But his performance also rubbed off on his teammates, as NSU shot a scorching 17-of-29 from behind the arc. Many times in the second half, the great SDSU fan base would raise the audio level through the roof when Northern had the ball in a key moment, trying to help their team make a defensive stop to help start a Jackrabbit run. But Northern answered each challenge, many times by raining in long 3's that calmed the crowd's thunderous decibel storms. In the end, an uncommon noise was heard in Frost Arena as the opposing team's fans took care of the auditorium's audio with chants of "N-S-U!" as the Wolves cut down the nets.

Comment

Crashola:
                      Welcome aboard, and I was not near Brookings in 1985 so I have always enjoyed the stories about the 1985 run. The Bob story is a good one. I bet that coach got a kick out of it too. Did Bob's team win? Or were they getting schlacked and was that the reason for putting Bob in the game.

Comment

Jackmd,

This is another game which we should never speak of agian.    

Comment

Regarding that game, which I will never speak of again, it was still one of the greatest experiences of my life and I won't ever forget it!! I was in medical school at USD at the time and had to return to Vermillion late that night. I seriously considered driving my car directly into the ditch on I-29. Fortunately, my wife was with me. As we say in the medical profession (and many others) what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I held my head high at class the next day (game was on a Sunday night) and took the abuse from the USD boys.

Then myself and several other SDSU grads and medical students went out and beat the USD baseball team in intramural basketball. A team comprised of 4 SDSU grads, 3 in med school and 1 in law school, went all the way to the intramural BB championship at the U only to lose to a team made up of former USD BB players. It demonstrates the prowess of SDSU vs USD that even a group of SDSU grads in professional school with little time to practice can whoop up on the best USD has to offer (with the exception of former USD BB players in grad school). I wish we could have won the championship but runner-up was okay. We always wore are SDSU gear so they knew who was kicking their ass!!

Comment

Something tells me this game will be another one that will be talked about for years to come. FYI, I just ordered 6 tickets for the game on Feb 28th in Vermillion. I would love to see Jack fans buy up as many of those tickets as possible. Be carefull about not identifying yourself as a Jack fan as they will put you in the rafters in that misserable facility.

Comment

Excellent suggestion JACKGUY. How did you order your tickets? I will get mine later this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X