• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBB vs. USD

Halftime

39-32 SDSU

Jacks had a great end to the half.

Schantz is having a career night. 21 pts at the half.

Re: MBB vs. USD

Great win. Looking forward to hearing from those that were at the game.

Comment

Listened to the game on the WNAX Webcast. What a great victory! I would also like to hear from some fans who were at the game. I have a few questions.

1. Why weren't the Coyotes fouling late in the game? At one point the Jacks had a 9 point lead and the Coyotes let the Jacks run the shot clock down and scored. They scored with something like 1:10 left.

2. Did I hear it right that Mueller was pulled with a couple minutes left?

Comment

Big Win for the Rabbits 17-0. It was Nagy's 200th win as a head coach. Way to go Scott. To Answer Crashola questions:

1. The Coyotes knew they were beat and threw in the towel. Their fans had already started heading for the exits!

2. I didn't realize that Mueller had been sat down. Part of the answer to that can be found in #1, part can be found in the fact that he looked really bad tonight. I love the fact that he threw the ball away often, had Air Balls, and shot like he just learned the game yesterday. I am not a big fan of his if you couldn't tell.

Many of the current Students had shirts on that told the story. On the front "Screw the "U". On the back it said "Bend over and take it like a Coyote"! Nothing like a USD win to make you feel, that all is right with the world!

Comment

As I type this I am holding my 2 day old daughter who just heard the first of many wins by the SDSU Jackrabbits. I wan to start by saying any win is a great win.

However, this game was not a great one by the Jacks. I agree whole-heartedly with Nagy's post-game assessment. We relied way too much on the outside shot and thank goodness it was worth 3-points. 42 points from beyond the 3-point line! I do not think we can expect t shoot that well outside of Frost.

Regardless, the defense played well (with the exception of rebounding, Turner Trufholz should not pull down 10 rebounds in a game) and we handled the ball relatively well. We established our inside game at the outset of the 2nd half which helped secure the win. Still, without the clutch 3's this baby comes down to the wire.

As expected, the Coyote players and coaches really had no idea how to win this game and that is the way it will be throughout this year for them. I think there is a good chance they will finish worse than 3rd in the conference.

Now for the scary part. Granted, the future is now, but we have 3 freshman who are just learning how to play college ball and already are impressive. No matter what we accomplish this year (hopefully the pinnacle and a national championship) we will be a force to wreckon with in any division next year.

There is no more exciting time in the history of SDSU than right now! Lets go out tomorrow night and blow-out UNO. Start riding these freshman and the excellent guard play plus the desire and heart that Schantz has to the penultimate, a DII national championship in our last year! Way to go Jacks. I love ya.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The Argus Leader website has a pretty cool photo spread from the game. It also has some strange music playing. ???

Comment

This is what the Argus has to say:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports.shtml

State's 1-2 punch
              Mick Garry
              mgarry@argusleader.com

published: 1/10/2004

SDSU men keep home streak alive

BROOKINGS - With a capacity crowd shaking dust from Frost Arena's Division I-bound rafters Friday night, the third-ranked South Dakota State men showed 8,489 witnesses why that's probably a conservative estimate as to where they belong in the national rankings.

It was the 201st game between the Jackrabbits and the University of South Dakota, with the outside chance it's the last between the state rivals at Frost. If so, the Jacks and their faithful will remember SDSU's 92-79 victory over the Coyotes as a bold exclamation point at the end of a long, winding and passionate sentence.

Those who follow North Central Conference basketball know the 17-0 Jacks are a rugged outfit - rugged enough to win games in great bunches without worrying about hitting a lot of shots from beyond the 3-point arc.

It was from afar, however, that SDSU built and maintained a lead in this high-stress environment. Andy Moeller, who scored 18 points for SDSU, said crowds like Friday night's can scare the skills right out of you if you aren't careful. But instead of clanging long ones with dry mouths and sweaty palms, the Jacks shot as well as they have all year.

"This kind of a crowd makes it easy for you to get your energy up and keep it up," Moeller said. "But it's a lot more difficult to stay calm. When you're out there, you're telling yourself to stay calm more than anything else."

SDSU connected on 14 of 26 3-pointers, with an inspiring five of six from senior Derrick Schantz, who led all scorers with 26 points, 21 of which came in the first half.

"It might have been my last chance to play USD in this gym," Schantz said. "I wanted to go out and have some fun. The shots were falling."

The Coyotes shot 48.5 percent from the field against the best defense in the North Central Conference. Although they hit just five-of-15 from the line, it was otherwise a fairly strong effort that just wasn't going to be enough.

"We got their ÔA' performance," said USD's Tommie King, who scored 21 points. "It was a pretty close game most of the way, but they kept hitting those shots. Schantz kind of set the tone in the first half for the whole game."

King closed the gap to 51-48 with a layup with 13:45 left in the second half, but the Jacks, as they had all night, answered with a comeback-shredding surge. Schantz completed a three-point play, and Joe Green followed with a 3-pointer to push it back to 57-48. SDSU led by seven points or more the rest of the way.

"We weren't doing the things we usually do," SDSU coach Scott Nagy said. "We weren't rebounding well, we weren't playing defense. With the exception of Derrick, I think we were playing tight in the first half. We weren't doing anything we'd worked on all week. But we were shooting the ball."

The Coyotes got out to an 11-3 lead in the first three minutes, but the Jacks had the score tied at 14-14 with - what else? -- a Schantz 3-pointer with 13:37 to play in the half. USD held a 30-27 lead with five minutes to play but things soon changed. Schantz hit his fourth 3-pointer of the half to tie the score at 30, then hit another one with 1:33 left to make it 37-32. Ben Beran's jump hook with 1:05 left sent the Jacks into halftime with a 39-32 lead.

"They hit a lot of key shots, they were hard to shut down tonight," USD's Derek Paben said. "Schantz definitely made the difference."

The Coyotes, although they rebounded better then they have recently against the Jacks, had trouble finding shots for King, and they were having no luck finding Schantz, who hit eight-of-10 shots in the first 20 minutes.

"I thought we played pretty well," USD coach Dave Boots said. "We were hurt by a couple runs they made that started with us not playing very well on the offensive end. But it would have taken a great effort to beat them tonight."

USD (10-3) plays at Augustana tonight while SDSU is host to Nebraska-Omaha. It will demand a quick turnaround for a pair of teams who were all revved up on Friday night.

"I think Dave (Boots) would agree with me that we'd both rather have to play a game like this on a Saturday night," Nagy said. "It's going to be hard getting ready to play another good team right way."

I think King is wrong, they did not get our "A" game.  I agree with Coach Nagy we didn't play our game but still played well enough to win.  The music is wierd on the photo gallery, if you just looked at the pictures you might think USD won.  Go figure.

Comment

Working...
              X