Clear All

• Jacks DI BB in Fargo Forum

Good article about SDSU's move to DI and coach Nagy in The Forum today:
    http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=47644
    SDSU battles Division I apathy with one word: win
    By Jeff Kolpack
    jkolpack@forumcomm.com
    The Forum - 01/09/2004

The detractors of South Dakota State’s decision to move to Division I have thrown their best pitch at the program. Scott Nagy continues to hit it out of the park.

The head men’s basketball coach, facing a recruiting migraine headache that hospitalizes most teams in transition, landed three Iowa all-state high school players who are making immediate contributions as true freshmen.

That’s a true sign nothing has changed with the Jackrabbits.

Nagy was not happy with his team’s performance in three games. They have two key players sidelined for medical reasons. They’re in their last year of the North Central Conference and will enter NCAA Division I independent status with the prospect of no NCAA postseason for the following four years.

“Honestly, for us, the response in-state has really been negative because there’s so much negative press,” Nagy said. “There’s so much negativity around the whole thing that it just blows my mind. Down here, it seems most people are against (Division I). The people who are the loudest are against it and it’s made it difficult to recruit.”

Yet, they’re 16-0 and ranked

No. 1 in Division II.

How? Nagy said SDSU has gone elsewhere for players.

Freshman forward Joe Green from Waverly, Iowa, has cracked the starting lineup and is averaging 10.6 points and a team-high 6.5 rebounds. Guard Jake Wenig (Danville, Iowa) is averaging 9.6 points and center Ben Beran (Victor, Iowa) 5.9.

With standout forward Matt Jones’ status uncertain because of fatigue, perhaps from the lingering effects of mononucleosis that sidelined him last season, and senior center Josh Cerveny out with a concussion, the Jacks continue to win.

Their depth kicked their opponents in the mouth.

The going gets tougher starting tonight, however. The Jacks host rival South Dakota tonight in a matchup of probably the top two league teams.

“They’ve consistently blown people out,” said NDSU head coach Tim Miles.

NDSU, which like SDSU will begin Division I reclassification next season, had trouble recruiting to the transition the last two years, Miles said.

Nagy, facing the same issues in South Dakota, said he believes the in-state players will eventually take a liking to SDSU.

“All of the out-state kids like the fact we’re going to play better people,” he said. “Only 65 make (the NCAA tournament). There are a lot of teams playing similar games and similar schedules. We still feel like we have a lot to offer.”

His selling points: The Jackrabbits averaged 3,492 fans a game last season and, for the next four years, a goal is to make the 40-team National Invitational Tournament.

“Because of the crowds we draw, I think we have a good shot at it,” he said. “All you have to be is .500 and after that, (the NIT) looks at the people that you draw.”

Frost Arena is sold out for tonight’s USD game. With Northern Colorado leaving the NCC after last year for Division I status, the NCC is down to eight teams and only 14 league games.

That leaves less room for error.

“With a smaller conference, an injury, a guy with the flu -- anything -- to the wrong guy at the wrong time changes the whole scope,” Miles said.

Plus, Miles subscribes to USD head coach Dave Boots’ theory that there’s always one team that bottoms out and one team that always wins the close game.

“You get a surprise and a disappointment every year,” Miles said. “I expect that to happen again this year.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546

Re: Jacks DI BB in Fargo Forum

Nagy makes several excellent observations. The negativity regarding the move really does no good and only makes SD and South Dakotans look less intelligent to people elsewhere. Fortunately, Nagy is so committed to SDSU that he is able to secure excellent recruits from outside the state.

The point about the NIT is accurate. The Penn State vs. Gopher game at Penn State earlier this week (Big Ten opener) drew less than 2,000 fans!! Don't think this isn't well recognized by those who invite teams to the NIT. Granted, its not the big dance but most of the games are televised (instead of just one like the DII tournament) and that gives exposure to SDSU and SD.

Finally, thaks to the Fargo Forum for creating some positive press. Someone should forward this article to the Brookings Register and the Argus Leader as well as KELO-TV and any other jackass who as been openly opossed to the move (I mean you Klouceck).
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Wow, the NIT would be huge! Thanks bisonguy for posting this story!

Comment

Highly amusing that SDSU's DI move gets better press in Fargo than it does in Sioux Falls, or even Brookings.

Ironic, even. Somebody needs to get on the clue train.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Doing some catching up after my trip to Brookings this weekend .  Pretty good stuff.  I had no idea that we could go to the NIT our first year.  How great would it be to win the NCAA D-II Championship one year and play in the D-I NIT the next!  ;D

Go State!

Comment

Working...
          X