Jacks (could have been) a unanimous #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks (could have been) a unanimous #1

(Previously) #1 Southern Indiana lost again and #2 Humbodt St barely won in duble O.T.  If we beat UNO tomorrow we will be the undisputed #1 team in the nation in DII basketball!!  This had better be front page/headline sports news in every major paper in S.D. and should be the opening feature for the sportscasts at each S.D. television station.  If not, please allow me to say, get with the program people.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Jacks should be unanimous #1

Right on! South Dakota State University #1, it has a nice ring to it! I will not hold my breth for the media to get on board though. There will be a SF Washington JV game to talk about, and Augie loss highlights to show.

Comment

Need to beat UNO first...not a given.

But...

Between the $4 mil in donations announced this week, and a possible 18-0 record, will be amusing to watch the Argus, KELO, and other D-I detractors try to spin things.

I can hear it now..."SDSU is having such success at the D-II level, why would you want to jepardize it with this ill-concieved reclassification to D-I?"

*sigh*
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        I can hear it now..."SDSU is having such success at the D-II level, why would you want to jepardize it with this ill-concieved reclassification to D-I?"
        You hit the nail on the head with that one filbert. The detractors in South Dakota just don't realize that for the coaches, players, and supporting fans, beating up on the same schools has gotten old over the years. It's time for new challenges, even if there are a few rocky years in the beginning.

Not doubt though that by beating UNO our Jacks will be #1, but will all of the voters see that and make it a unanimous decision.

I know one thing for sure, I'll be in Mankato next Friday to watch the #1 team in men's college basketball.

Comment

I agree with Filbert our continued success in both Womens and Mens Basketball comes with those who say why would we want to walk away from a level that we clearly can have a national impact. If we lost than were not winning at DII so why would we want to move up. It's almost a no win situation when speaking with those that don't want the transition at any costs. I'm sensing that people are coming to the realization that this is going to happen regardless of their continued protest. Our program is so far beyond the majority of DII Basketball programs. I've heard many USD supporters say " how do you think your going to be able to attract DI calibere athletes and my response is we already are and will continue to do so.

Comment

Jackguy,

You are right on. We already attract DI quality athletes. In fact, I believe at least 6 current Jackrabbits could be on DI teams and if you really want my opinion, I think they are on a DI team playing at the DII level. Your other point is also correct, people are realizing that no matter their fears/insecurities the move is happening with or without them. For some this brings out resentment, but for others I think there is a sense of relief and they will eventually be loyal supporters of the move. Some day in the future the same people who are today oppossed to the move will be saying "I always knew the DI move was a good idea. Why is USD still DII? They should have made the move up also."
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Re: Jacks (could have been) a unanimous #1

I was looking at the D-II Basketball web site hoping that the new poll was out, but it wasn't. There is a chance that even with our loss to UNO that we could move up to #2.

Let me explain, #1 Southern Indiana has had 3 losses since the last poll (they are going to drop BIG)

#2 Humboldt St has lost twice since the last poll and has a 2 OT win in that same time.

#3 SDSU has one OT loss since the last poll and wins over #11 Mich. Tech and #5 USD.

#4 NW Missouri State will move ahead of us with 4 wins over unranked nobodies.

#5 USD, losses to #3 SDSU and unranked Augie.

#6 St. Rose 1 loss since the last poll.

#7 Queens 2 loses since the last poll.

You have to go all the way down to # 8 before you find a team (besides NWMSU) that has not had any loses. I think a good case can be made that we should move up to #2.

http://campus.umr.edu/sports/bbpoll.html

Go State

Comment

I think you are right on 89. I was looking at this yesterday and came to the same conclusion. I suspect we will be #2 behind NWMSU.

Comment

I would love a shot at NWMS. If you remeber we went down there last year early in the year and were barely beat by like one point. Nagy stated as long as he was coach we would never return as it was the worst one sided officitated he had ever experienced. Imming was even hot during the broadcast.

Comment

I was at that game and Coach Nagy was right.  I have never seen a worse bunch of Homer Ref. in my life, at any level.  I have a special place in my heart for NWMSU.  Their next game is against Washburn who is ranked #13 and usually has a pretty good team.  Their stay at #1 may be short lived.  

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                       I have a special place in my heart for NWMSU.  Their next game is against Washburn who is ranked #13 and usually has a pretty good team.  Their stay at #1 may be short lived.  

Go State!
                      Washburn Beats NW Missouri St. 72-63!  ;D  Looks like we are back to "Jacks should be a unanimous #1"! Lets get it done this weekend!

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Outstanding. Let's take care of business this weekend.

Comment

Another long homecourt winning streak snapped!

Comment

I expect a big drop when the next poll comes out.

Comment

Working...
                            X