No announcement yet.

SDSU could play Notre Dame in SF soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU could play Notre Dame in SF soon!

Here is an article from today's Argus, it is about Joe Krabbenhoft.  Although it looks like he is headed for one of the "Big" programs there may be a benifit for SDSU!

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayfeature.shtml

No average Joe

Stu Whitney
    Argus Leader

published: 12/21/2003

Versatile star doesn't want to forget his roots

Joe Krabbenhoft has a lot to learn about being a high-profile college basketball prospect.

The Roosevelt High School junior is the most heavily recruited South Dakota athlete since Mike Miller, and he doesn't even have a tattoo. No earrings, either.

There's no Hummer, no baggy pants, no baseball cap flipped backwards, not even a posse. Instead of rap music, Krabbenhoft sheepishly admits listening to country crooner Toby Keith.

Could it be that this versatile 6-foot-7 guard, ranked among the top 40 juniors in the nation by most recruiting experts, is just an average Joe?

"I'm not an earring or a tattoo guy," confirms Krabbenhoft, 16, who is sidelined until January after having surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left foot.

"I think I'd be living in a different house if I came home and my mom and dad saw that. From an early age, my parents and coaches have taught me to be humble and treat people with respect. There's no reason to get cocky and start thinking I'm the man."

But today's hoop culture celebrates rim-rattling stars such as LeBron James, who soar straight to the NBA while soaking up the sensation of being seen.

Even Miller, the Mitchell native who starred at the University of Florida and now plays for the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies, went the earring route while embracing the urban individuality of the playground game.

So what's up with Krabbenhoft, who proudly proclaims his Upper Midwestern roots with a selfless style that stresses rebounding, defense and making his teammates better?

"When people ask about Joe, I tell them, 'You're not going to see a highlight reel with a bunch of fancy dunks,'" says Roosevelt coach Bob Wilber, who saw Krabbenhoft lead the Rough Riders in points (12.0), rebounds (7.1) and assists (4.7) as an all-state sophomore in 2002-03.

"What you're going to see is a guy who's fundamentally sound - a very good rebounder and defender who plays within the team concept. As a coach, I don't think you can ask for anything more."

Want proof? Consider the bevy of big-name Division I coaches flocking to Sioux Falls after Krabbenhoft's sizzling summer, which featured a trip to the prestigious Nike All-American Camp in Indianapolis.

Krabbenhoft, who could join Miller as the only McDonald's All-Americans in state history, recently discussed the merits of the Upper Midwest during an hour-long phone chat with Arizona coach Lute Olson, who hails from North Dakota.

He traveled to Kansas in late November to watch the Jayhawks beat Michigan State and was offered a scholarship on the spot by Kansas coach Bill Self.

He has shot baskets with Florida's Billy Donovan, entertained Minnesota's Dan Monson and Wisconsin's Bo Ryan at Roosevelt and played 3-on-3 for a group of A-list coaches that included Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and North Carolina's Roy Williams.

How badly do these guys want Krabbenhoft?

Well, Notre Dame's Mike Brey has offered to play a game in Sioux Falls if the Catholic school lands its Lutheran recruit. That promise has stirred talk of a future matchup between Notre Dame and soon-to-be-Division I South Dakota State at the Arena.

Krabbenhoft has already been offered scholarships by Kansas, Notre Dame, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Creighton and North Carolina State.

That's more offers than Miller, the 2001 NBA Rookie of the Year, had pocketed at this stage of the process.

"At the Nike camp, Joe showed he can play with anybody in the country," says analyst Chris Monter of the Monter Draft and College Basketball News. "More people got to see him in that environment, and coaches got hooked."

Out of loyalty to regional roots and the coaches who courted him first, Krabbenhoft is focused on Midwest-based programs Minnesota, Wisconsin, Creighton, Kansas and Notre Dame.

But he has not ruled out nationally-prominent schools such as Florida, Arizona, Michigan State, North Carolina State and Michigan - with more suitors likely on the way.

Krabbenhoft has paid unofficial visits to most of these colleges and could announce a verbal commitment as early as next April.

"Which way is he leaning? It depends on which day you ask him," says Paul Seville, director of basketball operations for the Dakota Schoolers, Krabbenhoft's summer AAU team.

"Things have really heated up, and his appeal is that he plays so hard. He's also low maintenance, which college coaches love. He gets good grades, he stays out of trouble, and he's the type of kid who's going to help you potentially win a national championship."

OK, so maybe Krabbenhoft doesn't have so much to learn. So far, he sounds like the perfect antidote to the ego-based ills that plague major college basketball .

And still not an earring in sight.

Love to get him, but if we can't a game in Sioux Falls with one of the Big Guy would be a nice consolation prize.  

Go SDSU!

Re: SDSU could play Notre Dame in SF soon!

89rabbit illustrates a good point about the duplicity concerning the Argus Leader. They bash SDSU for wanting to go Division I. Yet, whenever there is a South Dakota kid who has aspirations of going Division I, they fall all over themselves touting the kid. Think how many times in the past decade they will recap the stats of a SD kid who has gone to Division I school. Now, SDSU is offering an opportunity for the upper echelon student-athlete to make a choice to stay in South Dakota for everyone to enjoy. Yet, the Argus thinks it's a bad idea for State to move up. I can't figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
      89rabbit illustrates a good point about the duplicity concerning the Argus Leader.  They bash SDSU for wanting to go Division I.  Yet, whenever there is a South Dakota kid who has aspirations of going Division I, they fall all over themselves touting the kid.  Think how many times in the past decade they will recap the stats of a SD kid who has gone to Division I school.  Now, SDSU is offering an opportunity for the upper echelon student-athlete to make a choice to stay in South Dakota for everyone to enjoy.  Yet, the Argus thinks it's a bad idea for State to move up.  I can't figure it out.
      Alumguy,

Well said! Welcome to the board, thanks for posting.

Go State!

Comment

Total agreement with the comments about the Argus bashing SDSU's DI aspirations, yet lauding any SD athlete who goes DI.

What about Krabbenhoft staying home and playing for Scott Nagy?? Wouldn't that be nice. One thing to remember is that as a junior he's got a lot of high school basketball ahead of him. One summer of looking good my bring early praises, but he could fall off the radar just as quickly as he moved onto it. I just hope Scott has talked to the kid to let him know SDSU would love to have him.

If he does go DI I and succeed I would hope his coach would bring a game back to Sioux Falls. I recall Kansas played back in North Dakota a few years ago because of a player on their roster (can't think of his name).

Good luck to Joe no matter where he ends up.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll_Guy
          Total agreement with the comments about the Argus bashing SDSU's DI aspirations, yet lauding any SD athlete who goes DI.

What about Krabbenhoft staying home and playing for Scott Nagy?? Wouldn't that be nice. One thing to remember is that as a junior he's got a lot of high school basketball ahead of him. One summer of looking good my bring early praises, but he could fall off the radar just as quickly as he moved onto it. I just hope Scott has talked to the kid to let him know SDSU would love to have him.

If he does go DI I and succeed I would hope his coach would bring a game back to Sioux Falls. I recall Kansas played back in North Dakota a few years ago because of a player on their roster (can't think of his name).

Good luck to Joe no matter where he ends up.
          Jeff Boschee was the KU player. He was from Valley City, if I recall correctly. I agree wholeheartedly...best if Krabbenhoft signed on with SDSU...second best if he went to a top-tier program and they came back to Sioux Falls to play SDSU. First-best again if SDSU would beat them in the Arena, like Nevada just did to Kansas.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The new 12,000 seat arena in downtown Sioux Falls that is being discussed would be a great venue for some future Jack games. I don't see anyway Krabenhoft falls to us as he is too highly touted. I hope to see a day when SDSU is more esstablished in DI when these kids choose to stay home. The 6'11 kid from O'Gorman who is going to Creighton would also have been a good additon to State. Any word on where the 2 gals (twins) from Mitchell are considering?

Comment

Joe is going to Wisconsin.  No mention if a deal to play the Jacks in Sioux Falls was part of it. The Badgers might still be stinging from that loss our football team gave them in 1935! ;D  Here is the Argus story:

Krabbenhoft says yes to Wisconsin
              Stu Whitney
              swhitney@argusleader.com

published: 1/23/2004

Roosevelt High School basketball standout Joe Krabbenhoft has verbally committed to play at the University of Wisconsin beginning in 2005-06, the 6-foot-7 junior confirmed Thursday.

Krabbenhoft will meet Saturday with Badgers coach Bo Ryan to make the commitment personally before Wisconsin's game against Illinois at the Kohl Center in Madison.

"I think their program is heading in the right direction, and I want to be part of that success," said Krabbenhoft, who chose Wisconsin over Minnesota, Notre Dame, Kansas and Creighton.

"Coach Ryan and his staff did great job of recruiting me, and we developed a strong relationship. I was impressed by the family -type atmosphere that surrounded the program."

Coming off an eye-opening effort at last summer's Nike All-American Camp, Krabbenhoft quickly became the most heavily recruited South Dakota athlete since Mitchell's Mike Miller, who starred at Florida and now plays for the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies.

After visiting his top five schools and receiving early offers from all of them, Krabbenhoft chose the 21st-ranked Badgers, whose 2004 recruiting class features highly-rated prospects Greg Stiemsma and DeAaron Williams.

Wisconsin's future also includes promising freshman center Brian Butch, who decided to redshirt this season.

"They've won back-to-back Big Ten championships, and they've got a good shot again this year," said Krabbenhoft, who is ranked among the top 40 juniors in the nation by most recruiting experts.

He won't be able to sign an NCAA letter of intent with the Badgers until November, but he wanted to make his commitment in order to focus on the rest of his junior season with the Rough Riders.

"There was no sense in waiting, because I knew this was the place I wanted to go," said Krabbenhoft, who missed the first eight games of this season after having surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left foot.

"I really felt like this was the right school - and I didn't feel like that was going to change. I wanted to get on with it and keep building a relationship with the players and staff."

Krabbenhoft also wants to focus on his junior season with Roosevelt, which struggled to a 1-7 start in his absence. He returned to provide four points and five rebounds in 22 minutes in Roosevelt's 56-45 victory at Brookings on Tuesday night.

On Thursday, Krabbenhoft had 20 points and 8 rebounds as the Riders lost 68-54 at Sioux City Heelan.

"It felt great to get out there again with my teammates," said Krabbenhoft, who led Roosevelt in points (12.0), rebounds (7.1) and assists (4.7) as an all-state sophomore last season.

"It seemed like I was out forever, but I only missed eight games. I'm glad to be back in the lineup trying to help us get things turned around this season."

Krabbenhoft and his family will leave town this afternoon to drive to Madison, where they have relatives. Joe's uncle and aunt, David and Karen Krabbenhoft, played a role in his decision to commit to Wisconsin, he said.

"I'm pretty close with them and (my cousins)," he said. "We'll be able to have Sunday night dinners together. I also like the fact that Madison is close to home, but it's far enough away that I'm still getting out on my own."

Krabbenhoft becomes the third current South Dakota high school boys basketball player to commit to a Division I program, following O'Gorman's Steve Smith (Creighton) and Spearfish's Matt Martin (Montana).

Comment

I think games with Wisconsin are very possible even without the promise to Krabbenhoft. I think geography will play a role in getting on the schedules of B10 and B12. I noticed that Nebraska has played schools like Grambling, Bethnune Cookman and other histrocially black colleges that went D1 a while back. Based on travel costs, SDSU and NDSU games would require less of a guarntee to be paid. I think the interest and SDSU fan following could make SDSU/NDSU more attractive then a distant team from Lousiana or Florida.

Krabbenhoft appears to be a gifted athlete and we sure would like to have him at SDSU. I dont like D1 schools offering home games with a local college as a way to recruit an athlete. It worked with Bouchee in North Dakota, as I believe they had about 12,000.

My thinking is that a game should not be used as a bribe to get a recruit. Thats too much. Its a shame Bennett and Brad Soderberg( Nagy's predecessor) are not running the Badgers, we would get a Badger game for sure.

I wonder home many of the student activists on that one business drag near the campus in Madison would remember the 1935 game. When I spent some time in Madison a few years back they were protesting the use of veal as a food. Idealism runs rampart in that town and some hardly know their institution has an athletic department. Its an interesting campus.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                  I dont like D1 schools offering home games with a local college as a way to recruit an athlete.  It worked with Bouchee in North Dakota, as I believe they had about 12,000.  
                  I believe that practice started with UNC's Dean Smith many years ago. He promised all recruits that he would schedule a game near their hometown their senior year so their friends and family would have an oppurtunity to see them play. As Roy Williams is a protege of Dean Smith I am assuming that's why KU played at UND.

Comment

Working...
                  X