32nd Annual Pork Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32nd Annual Pork Classic

SDSU will host NDSU in the 32nd annual Pork Classic Saturday night.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48696

what is the special meaning or history of the pork classic?

Re: 32nd Annual Pork Classic

It is a game to honor the Pork Producers of South Dakota.  It is also a way for the Athletic Dept. to raise extra money.

It is very much like the Beef Bowl (SDSU auctions off a "Steer for State&quot, Lamb Bonanza, or other special events. I think there is a Pork barbecue before the game and the proceeds go to the Athletic Dept. So go early and eat up for SDSU!

From the SDSU web site:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Sp...ents/Index.cfm

Whether it's pre-game barbecues, community outreach programs or fund-raising efforts, the athletic department at South Dakota State University sponsors or works in conjunction with other campus entities to host a number of special events throughout the school year.

Comment

At the Half SDSU 44 - NDSU 33.

Comment

That's my Bunnies!   ;D  Final Score SDSU 88 - NDSU 64.  MSU beat UNO at Omaha.  Looks like a pretty good weekend for the Men of SDSU!  

Go State!

Comment

How did the coaches show go after the game? I had to listen to the WDAY feed-(They did a good job on that broadcast). Was just curious what the coach thought of a nice 24 point win

Comment

Fantanstic performance!!!  This is the Jackrabbit team we all expect and respect.  Great 1st half and even better 2nd half (can't say the same for the women).  This is a game to build the rest of the season on.  I am just so pleased.

WAY TO Go JACKS.  A new conference for football and the old Jacks (not the ones from the last week and a half) back on the BB court!  Who does Kloucek cheer for??

Here are the NCC scores for the night. Looks like USD has righted the ship, also. I think this helps confirm just how bad the Jacks played on the MN road trip. I will be in Brookings to watch the payback games against MSU and SCSU. Nice win by MSU tonight. Go JACKS and GO whoever plays NDSU and UNO (including USD and Augie)!!!!

P.S. What an over-rated USD women's (and men's for that matter) basketball team.

Men's Basketball
            * South Dakota State 88
            North Dakota State 64
            * North Dakota 79
            Augustana 69
            * Minnesota State 102
            Nebraska-Omaha 93
            * South Dakota 97
            St. Cloud State 74

Women's Basketball
            * North Dakota 101
            Augustana 72
            * St. Cloud State 66
            South Dakota 61
            * North Dakota State 76
            South Dakota State 67
            * Minnesota State 81
            Nebraska-Omaha 60
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
              How did the coaches show go after the game? I had to listen to the WDAY feed-(They did a good job on that broadcast). Was just curious what the coach thought of a nice 24 point win
              Coach was pleased, overall with the performance. Thought that we needed to rebound better. Very happy with the way we took care of the ball. Said we weren't back (as far as being the 17-0 Jacks) but it was a step in the right direction. He was looking forward to the next two weeks of one game only (Augie both weeks) so that he could rest the team.

Comment

Rest? Based on a number of rather intriguing anecdotes, I'm convinced that games are less work than practice for the team.

Comment

Buster,

I am sure your sources are right. I took it that Coach ment he was going to give them a rest from practicing. He said he would give them the next 2 days off. I kind of figured that this past week was going to be long for the team.

Go State!

Comment

Here is Chris' story about last night's game:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle12.shtml

SDSU men give NDSU 1st NCC loss
                    Chris Solari
                    Argus LeaDer

published: 1/25/2004

BROOKINGS -- In punctuating to the rest of the North Central Conference that they're not dead yet, the South Dakota State men also showed themselves something Saturday night.

The Jackrabbits can still put together more good minutes of basketball than bad ones.

SDSU handed North Dakota State its first league loss of the season. Derrick Schantz led four Jackrabbits in double figures in the 88-64 victory at Frost Arena.

"The one thing we've not done (this season) is keep our composure," said a relatively pleased SDSU coach Scott Nagy. "I thought tonight, we did a good job of that. They made a push at us in the second half, and we withstood that and pulled away from them. We did a nice job."

Schantz ruled the first half as the Jacks (19-3, 3-3 NCC) set the tone quickly. The 6-foot-6 forward scored 19 of his game-high 22 points and made 4 of 5 3-point tries in the opening period as SDSU won back-to-back conference games for the first time this season.

Entering the weekend, the No. 11 Jackrabbits had lost three straight contests, all in league play.

"We've been struggling here, and we've needed leadership. I think Derek's given us that," Nagy said of Schantz. "He was very focused."

Despite being outrebounded for the first time all year (39-35), SDSU forced 19 Bison turnovers and scored 21 points off them.

SDSU enjoyed a double-digit cushion for much of the game. Only during one stretch, early in the final half, did things get sloppy and worrisome for the Jacks.

NDSU (12-7, 5-1) sliced an 11-point halftime deficit to just five in less than three minutes, prompting Nagy to call a timeout.

Then, the coach went virtually mute.

"The nice thing was I didn't have to say a whole lot, because they were doing most of the talking. They knew what was wrong," he said after the game. "That's what I've been looking for, our team to start taking over."

After the lead dipped to two on a 3-pointer by NDSU's Ben Nemmers, the Jackrabbits scored 23 of the next 31 points to take a commanding 72-55 edge with just over five minutes to play.

SDSU committed just eight turnovers in the game.

Andy Moeller scored 13 and Marquise Richardson 12 for the Jacks, who shot 49.3 percent while getting points from 11 different players. Jake Wenig chipped in 10.

Next up for SDSU is Augustana next Saturday at Frost, followed by a visit to Sioux Falls to face the Vikings on Feb. 7.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by somebison.
                      SDSU will host NDSU in the 32nd annual Pork Classic Saturday night.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48696

what is the special meaning or history of the pork classic?
                      Here is another site that help provide the answer to the question "what is the special meaning" of the pork classic.

http://jacksbasketball.com/

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                      X