Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Sky vs. Mid-Con. from a B-Ball viewpoint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Sky vs. Mid-Con. from a B-Ball viewpoint?

Just thinking about basketball, would you rather be in the Big Sky or Mid-Con. Conf., and why?

There are good reasons for us to join either, however more and more from a basketball perspectrive I am leaning towards the Mid-Con. They have had recent success with Valpo and could get an at large bid if the conf. continues to improve. Travel in many cases would be easier (they played last year's, and will play next years Conf. tourney in Kansas City just a short 6 hr drive down I-29 from Brookings). Travel will be easier especially if they add three teams and go to an East/West Divisonal format. They are in several major markets (Chicago, Kansas City, Indianapolis, just outside of Detroit, and to a lesser extent Tulsa) all could be great places to recruit. Most schools share our time zone. The Mid-Con has a history of helping D II programs as they make the move up. IUPUI this years winner of the Men's Conf. tourney and representative of the Mid-Con to the big dance was a D II program not long ago. Finally they seem to want us more and that means something to me also. To be honest I do live in Kansas City and it would be great to have the Jacks come to me every once and awhile but I do think that the Mid-Con could be a great fit. At the end of the day it does not matter to me where we end up as long as we move up! What do you think?

Go State!

Re: Big Sky vs. Mid-Con. from a B-Ball viewpoint?

There advantages to both... The Big Sky would help us with establishing rivalrys with the schools in other sports (Football) since its an all sport conference. I think the Mid Con might actually be a little more respected in Basketball because of the tradition of Valpo and ORU We would be fine in either.And do well in both right now...I would have loved to play IUPUI (mid con champs 03) last year with the team we had last year, I dont know if we would have won but if we could have gotten them in Frost, I would have liked our chances. SDSU would be a great addition to either conference as would NDSU, I'm not sure what UNC brings to the mid con except an established athletic program but little basketball tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
      There advantages to both... The Big Sky would help us with establishing rivalrys with the schools in other sports (Football) since its an all sport conference. I think the Mid Con might actually be a little more respected in Basketball because of the tradition of Valpo and ORU We would be fine in either.And do well in both right now...I would have loved to play IUPUI (mid con champs 03) last year with the team we had last year, I dont know if we would have won but if we could have gotten them in Frost, I would have liked our chances. SDSU would be a great addition to either conference as would NDSU, I'm not sure what UNC brings to the mid con except an established athletic program but little basketball tradition.
      You are right we can play with these guys. I have seen them live (the Mid-Con). About the only thing UNC brings to the tabel is location. It gives Southern Utah a travel partner (there has been talk that Denver wants to join), and gives the Mid-Con 12 members so that they can have divisional play. They bring geography.

Go Blue!

Comment

I too have heard those Denver rumors that would be a pretty cool conference if that comes to fruition-The other thing it brings to the Mid con is stability... established long standing and successful athletic programs (SDSU, NDSU, UNC, DENVER) I would think the Mid Con would be trying to put this together ASAP. Denver is kind of an odd ball school in the Sunbelt-I would think they would fit in well with a 12 team Mid Con.

Comment

I'm starting to come around on the Mid-Con. I do like the geographical location of the majority of the members with the exception of Centenary. I think with regard to Basketball it clearly has teams which have esstablished themselves more nationally then the Big Sky Conference. Let's face it for the time being SDSU is miles ahead with Basketball than football. I think the new football conference has a chance to be on equal footing with the Big Sky with time. I'm sure the President's are trying to use this new conference as leverage to get the Big Sky to make a move. I can't wait to prove to some of these mid-majors how competitive SDSU can be in Basketball immediately. Whatever conference we end up in will find Frost Arena a very tough place to play and win!

Comment

Amen, Brother! ;D

Go State Go State!

Comment

Hey, 89! I'm across town in Lee's Summit. If SDSU goes to the Mid-Con, I'd consider getting UMKC season tickets (I still have 4 SDSU season tickets, of course ...)
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I would love to see the Jacks in the Mid Con. I usually try and catch 8 or 9 games most in Brookings, some in Vermillion, Omaha, or anywhere close. Last year I watched them play up in Maryville. It would be great to see them in KC and I would make the trip to Tulsa. I travel a lot for my job, so it is catch as catch can.

Comment

My first thought is the Big Sky. We used to play many of those Colleges in the past. However I think the Mid-Con has had more basketball success as of late.

Comment

I still would take the Horizon or Missouri Valley over the Big Sky or Mid-Con. We could really develop some fun rivalries with Missouri Valley teams such as Drake,Creighton,Northern Iowa and others. The Horizon
                    has the two Wisconsin schools that could become regional rivalries. The Gateway Football conference is also very appealing. I realize this is certainly a big jump
                    in Basketball but why not go for it. I'm sure there is reluctance on the part of those conferences to admit two DII schools. We have rich tradition and good basketball attendence that would fit right into either conference. I also think schools in those conferences would draw more people to games. I'm sure if we do not gain entrance into either of these conferences we will be playing them in non-conference games

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                      I still would take the Horizon or Missouri Valley over the Big Sky or Mid-Con. We could really develop some fun rivalries with Missouri Valley teams such as Drake,Creighton,Northern Iowa and others. The Horizon
                      has the two Wisconsin schools that could become regional rivalries. The Gateway Football conference is also very appealing. I realize this is certainly a big jump
                      in Basketball but why not go for it. I'm sure there is reluctance on the part of those conferences to admit two DII schools. We have rich tradition and good basketball attendence that would fit right into either conference. I also think schools in those conferences would draw more people to games. I'm sure if we do not gain entrance into either of these conferences we will be playing them in non-conference games
                      I would love to get in the Missouri Valley and Gateway.  I think geograpically it makes the most sence.  It would foster some great rivalries.  It is the strongest of the conf. that we have been talking about, so yes it would be my first choice.  Unfortunately it sounds like we only have an outside chance of getting in with them.  

As far as the Horizon goes, I am not so sure about that one.  Rumor has it that both Butler and UW Milwaukee want to leave and move up to a bigger conf.  Without those two I am not sure that the Horizon is a good fit for SDSU.

My personal rating system goes like this:

1.  Missouri Valley/Gateway
                      2.  Mid-Con/Great Western
                      3.  Big Sky
                      4.  Horizon/Great Western

Comment

I'll weigh in with my wish list...

1. Missouri Valley/Gateway
                        2. Big Sky
                        3. Mid Con/Great Western
                        4. Horizon/Great Western

I would love to see the First option, These are both great conferences, and geographicaly ideal, And I think after a couple of years we could compete well in the Gateway, and we could compete in the Missouri valley immediately-but we wouldnt win it for a while. I dont think this opition will happen. The conferences seem to be pretty cold on expansion-but you never know.
                        I believe the most likely senario is #3. The Great Western will be good (with time), and we should be able to do resonably well in it. I feel we could win the Mid-Con right out of the gate.
                        The Horizion conference doesnt appeal to me at all, (but its better than staying DII and in the NCC)

Comment

My wish list would be:

1)Missouri Valley/Gateway
                          2)Big Sky
                          3)Horizon/Great Western
                          4)Mid-Cont/Great Western

For me it is a toss up between Horizon and Mid-Cont. Many of the teams in the Horizon at one time were in the Mid-Cont. They both seem to have a number of members that are in urban settings and more commuter like schools. I was not aware that Butler and Univ of WI Green Bay were considering leaving the conference. I do like the fact that all the schools in the Horizon are in the Mid-West compared with a school from Utah and Louisiana in the Mid-Cont. No question the Missouri Valley and Gateway would be a phenominal situation but I too think it is a long shot. Could be a lot of shuffling of teams with conferences in the next few years. I believe if the Big Sky were to lose Sac State and Portland it would be even more attractive. SDSU Basketball should be very attractive to any conference!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                            My wish list would be:

1)Missouri Valley/Gateway
                            2)Big Sky
                            3)Horizon/Great Western
                            4)Mid-Cont/Great Western

For me it is a toss up between Horizon and Mid-Cont. Many of the teams in the Horizon at one time were in the Mid-Cont. They both seem  to have a number of members that are in urban settings and more commuter like schools. I was not aware that Butler and Univ of WI Green Bay were considering leaving the conference. I do like the fact that all the schools in the Horizon are in the Mid-West compared with a school from Utah and Louisiana in the Mid-Cont. No question the Missouri Valley and Gateway would be a phenominal situation but I too think it is a long shot. Could be a lot of shuffling of teams with conferences in the next few years. I believe if the Big Sky were to lose Sac State and Portland it would be even more attractive. SDSU Basketball should be very attractive to any conference!
                            Hey JACKGUY,

Its Univ. of WI Milwaukee and Butler that are talking about leaving if they have the right op.  Not Green Bay  My company is HQed 45 miles North of Milwaukee, so when I am up there I watch the news.  Both schools have expressed that with all the changes going on in the NCAA that they may be asked to join a better Conf.
                            Who knows for sure what any school is going to do and that may be wishful thinking on their parts (even on their medias part).  Just thought I would tell you what I heard last time I was up there.

Comment

JACKGUY,

Let me start by saying, to me the most important thing is getting into a D I conf.  and this is by no means an attack on your choice.  Any of the conf. we have talked about are fine with me.  However, I like the Mid-Con over the Horizon and this is why.  It is true that the Mid-Con does have schools in Louisiana and Utah however the conf. is probably going to 12 teams and going with a East/West divisional format.  This will help all members with travel exp. You play all the teams in your div. twice (home and away) and you play the other div. once (switch off every year). So you would only go to Shreveport, for instance, every other year.

East

Oakland University (Oakland, MI)
                              IUPUI (Indianapolis, Ind.)
                              Chicago State (Chicago, Ill.)
                              Valparaiso ((Valparaiso, Ind.)
                              Western Ill.  (Macomb, Ill.)
                              Centenary College (Shreveport, LA)

West

SDSU  (Brookings, SD)
                              NDSU  (Fargo, ND)
                              University of Misouri-Kansas City  (Kansas City, MO)
                              Oral Roberts  (Tulsa, OK)
                              UNC  (Greely, CO)
                              Southern Utah  (Cedar City, UT)

I think everyone has a great natural travel partner except Centenary (I have know idea why they where added to the Conf.)  There has also been talk that Denver might replace Southern Utah, so who knows.

Also, at this point which ever conf. we join we will probably be playing Southern Utah in Football (they are part of the proposed Great Western).

Now lets talk about markets and their location.  The Horizon to me is more of an eastern conf. (midwest true but far to our east).  They have two schools in Chicago, two in Wisconsin, one in Indianapolis, one in Detriot, and the rest are in Ohio (Cleveland, Dayton, and Youngstown).  All of them are in Metro areas except Green Bay.  

I would rather be in the middle of the Conf. then on the western edge.  I also like the Mix of Big Cities and smaller college towns that the Mid-Con. offers.  Just my thoughts.

Go SDSU, D I all the way!  

Comment

Working...
                              X