Regional Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Rankings

When do the first region rankings come out? I am going to speculate on who might be in the top 6 at playoff time for the North Central Region. I know confrence tournaments can totally jumble things up but here are my 6 teams.
    SDSU-#1 and hosting (NCC)
    Nebraska-Kearney (RMAC)
    Metro St. (RMAC)
    Minn-Duluth (NSIC)
    Winona St. (NSIC)
    UNO (NCC)
    Wild cards are Northern St, USD, Fort Hays St.  I hate putting UNO in the top six because I think they will get beat a number of times in the NCC but I couldnt come up with another NCC rep.( and besides I witnessed how they CAN play-when they want to).

Re: Regional Rankings

I believe the first regional rankings are usually released the 3rd Wednesday in January. So we should see them next week on the 21st.

Too early to say much more than SDSU and Nebraska-Kearney.  I think Bemidji St. will represent the NSIC.  Of course, the 3 tournament champs are automatic and no one can predict who will win those.  

I believe 8 teams make the regional now, am I mistaken?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

From Womens DII basketball website:

2003 FINAL NCAA Region Ranking (First 2004 Ranking Scheduled for Jan. 21).

Looks like next Wednesday is the day for the first regional rankings.

As an answer to my last question: 8 teams were in the regional last year and I believe it is the same this year.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

The Regional Rankings are essential to hosting the regional tournament. As always if the Jacks can win the conference with few losses, win the conference tournament they should have a decent chance of hosting the tournament. I wonder if a school has ever hosted both the womens and mens Regional tournaments?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
          I wonder if a school has ever hosted both the womens and mens Regional tournaments?
          I don't think it has happened, at least not in recent years. Logistically I do not think the NCAA would allow this to happen. With the 8 team format you would be looking at four days of games with both men and women's at the same site (2 days of quarterfinals, one day of semi-finals, and one day for the championship), so you would have some teams with a day off between quarters and semis, and then how is it decided who plays on which days of the quarterfinals.

Regional rankings are imperative for our men and women at this point. Sad thing is, more than likely one of them will not host when they are deserving. And if both teams are #1 in the region on decision day, look for the women to be traveling (the NCAA is a for-profit organization you know).

Comment

Play the Women's games at the Swiftel Center. Just an idea.

Go State!

Comment

It will be interesting to see the regional rankings. With NDSU, Bemidji St., Colorado Christian and Metro St. all being undefeated in their respective conferences and UN-Kearney with only 1 loss; coupled with SDSU 1-3 and USD 0-4 at the bottom of the NCC. Very possible that SDSU/USD will not be in the top 8 or 10 in the first rankings. I expect MSU, UNO, SCSU all to be ranked ahead of SDSU. I don't think any of the other NSIC teams should be ahead of the Jacks but Northern or Wayne St. may sneak in there. I suppose Ft. Lewis will get the nod because they lead their division of the RMAC. That basically leaves 9th or 10th position for the Jacks.

Just trying to stimulate some conversation. I realize we will find out on Wednesday and whatever the rankings are the Jacks just need to win their next game and take it one win at a time. GO JACKS.

Comment

Still plenty of time for SDSU to right the ship. However isn't it strange what a difference a week makes. My last post on this subject was how SDSU (logistically) could host both the Men's and Women's Regionals.

We do need to take them one at a time and this weekend is huge for us. We have to sweep the ND schools to get back in the race. We always have the option of getting into the NCAA play-off by winning the NCC Tourney Championship, but we need to start playing Jackrabbit basketball this weekend. I still have faith in Coach Nagy and the whole team.

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Regional rankings are determined by a points system. National ranking has nothing to do with it. I did not know that.

From Siouxsports.com (somebison):

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbook...llHandbook.pdf

Overall strength-of-schedule index:

Win on the road versus a team at or above .750 .............17 points
                  Win versus Division I team.............................................. ..15 points
                  Win at home versus a team at or above .750...................14 points
                  Win on the road versus a team at or above .500 .............13 points
                  Win at home versus a team at or above .500...................12 points
                  Win on the road versus a team below .500, but above
                  .250.............................................. .................................11 points
                  Win at home versus a team below .500, but above
                  .250.............................................. .................................10 points
                  Win on the road versus a team at or below .250............... 9 points
                  Win at home versus a team at or below .250 .................... 8 points
                  Win versus non-Division I or II team ...................................7 points
                  Loss versus Division I team ................................................7 points
                  Loss on the road versus a team at or above .750............. 7 points
                  Loss at home versus a team at or above .750 .................. 6 points
                  Loss on the road versus a team at or above .500............. 5 points
                  Loss at home versus a team at or above .500 .................. 4 points
                  Loss on the road versus a team below .500, but above
                  .250 .................................................. .............................. 3 points
                  Loss at home versus a team below .500, but above
                  .250 .................................................. .............................. 2 points
                  Loss on the road versus a team at or below .250 ............... 1 point
                  Loss versus non-Division I or II team..................................0 points
                  Loss at home versus a team at or below .250................... 0 points

Comment

That is a great post jackmd. It explains a lot and makes me feel a little more comfortable about the regional rankings.

Comment

somebison really deserves the credit, I pirated it from his post on SiouxSports.com

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                        somebison really deserves the credit, I pirated it from his post on SiouxSports.com
                        you're welcome ;D ... don't spend too much time at siouxsports.com... it will rot your brain

Comment

Col. Christian lost 2 games this weekend. We should move up to #2 in the region unless UNK leapfrogs us and takes the 2 spot. I like our current position. We just need to keep winning games and getting better, especially on defense. No room to be complacent

#11 Nebraska-Kearney 101,
                          #19 COLORADO CHRISTIAN 93

Fort Hays State 98
                          #19 Colorado Christian 88

Comment

Maybe somebody knows for sure, but that looks just like the football SSI.

Comment

The interesting thing about Colorado Christian losing to both Kearney and Ft. Hays is that they lost at home. Now they play 5 of their last 7 on the road. I think the Regional competition will come from both Kearney and Metro State. Kearney still has to go to Metro at the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X