JACKS #3 IN NATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JACKS #3 IN NATION

The Jacks have moved up to #3 in the nation in the latest National Poll that was released today. Other teams in the Region rated include Metro State #2 and Nebraska Kearney #7. Metro and Kearney play each other at the end of the year in Denver. The more important Regional Rankings will most likely not have much movement with Metro and Kearney ahead of us.

Re: JACKS #3 IN NATION

Agreed, the top 3 won't change but there will be a lot of movement below that.

UNK and Fort Hays both beat Colorado Christian this weekend. Christian has lost 5 of the last 6 and should drop out of the top 10. Metro crushed Regis. Fort Hays is really coming on strong and will be a factor in the RMAC tourney, which is in Col Springs.

Northern beat Bemidji in Aberdeen Saturday after they both won on Friday. Both teams are 11-2 in the NSIC and will get strong consideration for post-season bids.

Here are the regional rankings from last week. Again, top3 will stay the same. Northern will move up to #4, NDSU and UNO will drop a spot or two, SCSU will drop out as will Christian, I suspect. Ft. Hays may sneak in and with 2 quality road wins (lots of points) USD may make an appearance.

Update to last weeks region ratings.

1. Metro State (19-2) now (21-2)
    2. Nebraska-Kearney (19-2) now (21-2)
    3. SDSU (21-3) now (23-3)
    4. Colorado Christian (17-4) now (17-6)
    5. Northern State (17-5) now (19-5)
    6. NDSU (13-8) now (14-9)
    7. Nebraska-Omaha (15-6) now (16-7)
    8. St. Cloud State (15-6) now (15-8)
    9. Fort Lewis (15-6) now (16-6)
    10. Bemidji State (15-7) now (16-8)
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Some other notable points:
      Ft Hays play Kearney tonight in Kearney (GO FT. HAYS)
      Kearney plays at Metro State on 2-28 (GO KEARNEY)
      Metro State has two losses this year both non-conference against NSIC teams Winona State and Mn Duluth. These are both teams the Jacks beat easily.
      Since the Duluth loss Metro State has been destroying teams by 20 points or more. Tells you how weak the RMAC is with the exception of Metro and Kearney.

Comment

We have 8 wins(and no losses) against teams in the region (not counting NCC games), 7 vs NSIC and 1 vs RMAC. We blew out NSU and Bemidji, no way any team from the NSIC will get a seed ahead of us.

Metro only has 1 (outside the RMAC) over Augie, with 2 losses to UMD and Winona early this year (gives us the advantage head-to-head).

UNK has 3 wins in the region (outside the RMAC), UNO, Wayne, and Concordia (I would say this is currently a push).

The RMAC is clearly a 2nd rate conference as compared to the NCC. I think the selection committee realizes this.

However, I am more worried about our head-to-head comparison with UNK than with Metro given UNK's attendance figures and the fact that they are the defending regional champs. We need UNK to lose.

Regardless, we still must win at least 3 of the 4 remaining games and host the NCC tourney or win it on the road to have any chance at the #1 seed. I'll be cheering against UNK and Metro. I think there is a good chance Ft. Hays could win tonight, GO TIGERS!!

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I agree on alll points. Having hosted the Regional last year may work slightly against Kearney. I don't expect any favors from DII this year based on our departure.

Comment

Everytime I look at the poll I wonder, "who the heck is Pfeiffer?" Well, I got onto their website and learned its a school in North Carolina. I didn't recognize a single opponent on their schedule. Their roster is even more amazing -- one 6'8" player, one 6'4" player and the rest of the squad is 6'3" or less, including two 6'1" "forwards". Man, we need to get out of DII!

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola
              Everytime I look at the poll I wonder, "who the heck is Pfeiffer?"
              Anyone want to donate $100 to the Jackrabbit club if Jim Marking can answer that question? I know it's a safe bet, but if he could pull that one out of his butt and everyone on the board was in we'd have close to $5,000. Bison fans have to have a similar ney-sayer they can ask that to as well.

That points back to another great reason why SDSU, NDSU, UNC, Cal-Davis, etc. are all leaving DII. DII is left with a bunch of schools no one has heard of in towns no one can find on a map. And when one of those schools does make it to a national tournament in football, volleyball, or basketball they get crushed by a school with some history.

Go State! And someone find Jim Marking to ask him where the heck Pfeiffer is.

Comment

I'm in for $100...
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm not sure Jim (and most opponents of the DI move) even realize how diluted DII is becoming with teams from right here in the 5 state area much less N. Carolina and Peurto Rico.  He probably doesn't know where Concordia is located or that they and Northern along with the rest of the NSIC are DII schools (just kidding).  

I really would bet he doesn't know squat about one of the newest DII schools, Upper Iowa.  1-9 in DIII football, 10-13 this year in men's BB (best year since 1999) and  7-16 in womens BB (5-20 last year).  Best part is they are on USD's FB schedule and will probably be on the BB schedule.  Hell, they may be in the NCC in a couple of years.

I knew there was a major problem when I saw Ft. Lewis in the regional in Brookings in 2002.  They won the RMAC tourney that year.  They showed up with 12 guys, none over 6'2", and looked like a mediocre high school team.  It was then that I said, "What the F*** is happening to DII basketball?  We really need to get this rumor about moving to DI to become a reality."  Of course, Metro went on to win the region and the National title, oh well.  Does Jim know where Metropolitan State is?? ;D

Here is the contact info for Upper Iowa (the PeaKocks) (computer won't let me spell c**cks, changes it to thingys, thats funny) if any of you have kids who want to attend a DII school.  Come On!!! You can watch them play in the DakotaDome next year!!

Upper Iowa University
                  PO Box 1857
                  Fayette, IA 52142
                  1-800-553-4150
                  (563) 425-5200
                  webmaster@uiu.edu

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                    Here is the contact info for Upper Iowa (the PeaKocks) (computer won't let me spell c**cks, changes it to thingys, thats funny) if any of you have kids who want to attend a DII school.  Come On!!! You can watch them play in the DakotaDome next year!!
                    Actually I think the game is at Upper Iowa. I guess that shows were usd's football program is headed.

Comment

Road trip, road trip, road trip!!!! How many Keystone lights and Zimas can a USD student/fan drink on the trip from Vermillion to Fayette??

I guess you'll be hoping for a home and home agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                        Some other notable points:
                        Ft Hays play Kearney tonight in Kearney (GO FT. HAYS)
                        Kearney plays at Metro State on 2-28 (GO KEARNEY)
                        Metro State has two losses this year both non-conference against NSIC teams Winona State and Mn Duluth. These are both teams the Jacks beat easily.
                        Since the Duluth loss Metro State has been destroying teams by 20 points or more. Tells you how weak the RMAC is with the exception of Metro and Kearney.

Listening to the game on Ft. Hays St. radio. 4000+ fans at the game tonight. (Kearney, NE pop. 28,000)

Comment

I've got the Kearney feed up. 8-4 Kearney, 15+ min to go in 1st half...
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Filbert,

Please post the Loper's link, I can't seem to connect and I would rather listen to it. Thanks.

Comment

Loper Men's BB
                              http://ituner.unk.edu:8060/livewebcast.mp3.m3u

Not very impressed with the Kearney play by play guy...he's not terrible, but doesn't seem to have a lot of personality.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X