SDSU Cheerleaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Cheerleaders

Did you hear about the cheerleaders? I doubt very few people noticed they didn't cheer on Saturday night. Evidently they are protesting something. Does anybody know what it can be?

Re: SDSU Cheerleaders

Big fat who cares!! Most of what they do involves blocking the view of those people sitting on the ends. Like all cheerleading squads there main concerns include their choreography and their costumes. Whatever they were "protesting" I assure you it was petty and insignificant.

Do you think we would have to put up with the ridiculous breakdancing if it wasn't for the cheerleaders?? We didn't do that when I was growing up in the "hood". Let the band lead the cheers at least they are fans. I say good riddance, don't let them come back.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The rumor that was floating Saturday night was some fans were concerned about the liabilty from one of the young ladies losing their balance during those pyrmid type formations or whatever they are called. Apparently Fred had gotten some complaints and questions. Another concern was the some people thought the males were to aggressive in maintaining their stance and coming into contact with the ladies private parts.

Hmm since SDSU has been working on a diversity program and actively recruiting African American s for academics as well as athletics and there happens to be three African American males on the cheer squad, could subtle racism be attached to this type of complaint about touching? ??? It was never questioned when all the males were white.

The buttom line is that the pyrmids do create a liablity problem. I dont recall the exact year but sometime after 1986, NDSU did have a female cheerleader fall and she had severe injuries to her head and this happened during practice and not during a game. Maybe some of our Bison friends can clue us in on this as its been a while. The NCC kind of banded this type formation.

Apparently Fred told them to not do those formations.

So if its a protest, its because the cheer squad does not want to be regulated what they do as a group.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
        Big fat who cares!!
        Ditto.

Comment

Hmmmm .... private parts? What are they grabbing? :P

Comment

It was the 1982/1983 season that the Bison cheerleader was hurt.

Comment

Wasn't there a cheerleader that was killed or paralyzed before the NDSU cheerleader? I thought there was some national story that heightened what happened at NDSU. Alas, I was merely in grade school at the time, and don't remember the whole story.

Comment

Our best cheerleaders are Keith and Jerry in the Nicholson seats. and there always at the game away or home,lets keep them and to heck with the others!!!
                PS. I knew I shouda been a cheerleader!!!

Comment

I was talking to one of the cheerleaders at class today, and guess they were told friday after the game that they were performing illegal stunts. I guess these stunts are outlawed by SDSU. Back when a cheerleader got hurt, I dont know if it was the NDSU cheerleader or who, most of the universitys adopted these rules, now most all of the universitys have lifted these rules, except SDSU. They were on "strike" saturday and now they have all "quit" the squad. Thats what a cheerleader told me, he didn't say anything about grabbing.
                  I didn't miss them at the game saturday, the pep band does better cheerleading anyway.
                  Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA
                    I was talking to one of the cheerleaders at class today, and guess they were told friday after the game that they were performing illegal stunts. I guess these stunts are outlawed by SDSU. Back when a cheerleader got hurt, I dont know if it was the NDSU cheerleader or who, most of the universitys adopted these rules, now most all of the universitys have lifted these rules, except SDSU. They were on "strike" saturday and now they have all "quit" the squad. Thats what a cheerleader told me, he didn't say anything about grabbing.
                    I didn't miss them at the game saturday, the pep band does better cheerleading anyway.
                    SDSU TUBA probably has the facts as they now stand.
                    The grabbing and touching complaints are probably pure rumor. I dont think we can find replacements with invisible hands.  I never got to go to the circuses but acrobats usually work in teams and can not perform without touching.

The unique formations that the cheerleaders have done this year do show a certain amount of athletism and I dont have a problem with them except for the potential liablity to SDSU.

I fell one summer ago about 4 feet off a step ladder and landed flat on my back with only brusied back muscles, but I was lucky as I landed on soft ground and grass. Its scary and the higher off the ground the more the risk in landing. The hardwood of Frost is not a soft landing.

Why open the institution for liablity and to have some severe injury?  Most insurance carriers probably would have a voice in this activity also.

I think we just have to start all over next season.
                    We can always dig out the big cowbell out of the trophy case.  Thats about all the Cheerleaders had at the Barn
                    but it was effective.  The cheerleaders also stayed by the student section and got the students going and stayed away from the reserve section that was right behind the scoring beach.

Times have changed and there no court side seats at the Barn.  Just no room and the idea would have been very unique.

I think we need to rearrange things so the student cheerleaders can get the students going and not be doing circus acts for the reserved section.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                      Our best cheerleaders are Keith and Jerry in the Nicholson seats. and there always at the game away or home,lets keep them and to heck with the others!!!
                      PS. I knew I shouda been a cheerleader!!!
                      Agreed these guys are keeping their youth.

Comment

Hi all. I am new to the board and I've got to say that you guys crack me up! I enjoy 89rabbit's detailed and intellectual posts! He definately knows his SDSU history. So does SDSUFan.

Anyways, I have only been to a handful of games, as I didn't go to many while in school and now I do not live near Brookings. But the games I have gone to were very fun. I agree about Jerry and Keith. I am not sure I know who Keith is but I do know Jerry. He IS our cheering squad. The rest of them SUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by bunny
                          Hi all.  I am new to the board and I've got to say that you guys crack me up!  I enjoy 89rabbit's detailed and intellectual posts!  He definately knows his SDSU history.  So does SDSUFan.  

Anyways, I have only been to a handful of games, as I didn't go to many while in school and now I do not live near Brookings.   But the games I have gone to were very fun.  I agree about Jerry and Keith.  I am not sure I know who Keith is but I do know Jerry.  He IS our cheering squad.  The rest of them SUCK!

Welcome Bunny,

It is nice to have you on the board.  Thank you for your kind words, I aim to please!  ;D

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by bunny
                            Hi all.  I am new to the board and I've got to say that you guys crack me up!  I enjoy 89rabbit's detailed and intellectual posts!  He definately knows his SDSU history.  So does SDSUFan.  

Anyways, I have only been to a handful of games, as I didn't go to many while in school and now I do not live near Brookings.   But the games I have gone to were very fun.  I agree about Jerry and Keith.  I am not sure I know who Keith is but I do know Jerry.  He IS our cheering squad.  The rest of them SUCK!
                            Keith's last name is Jensen. He was Alumni Executive Director before Chad Kono and now VJ Smith. Keith I believe was a cheerleader back in his student days, but he is still very passionate for being 70 years old.

He wore a rug for a number of years, but gave up on that and now has gone totally bald. We cant say Keith is behind times.

Comment

Working...
                            X