NCAA legislation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA legislation

Noticed this on www.ncaa.org today. Does this mean we wont have to wait 13 years to automatically qualify for the big dance?

"No. 2003-13 Championships -- Automatic Qualification

Intent: To eliminate the automatic-qualification period for an institution reclassifying to NCAA Division I status that joins an established conference that currently satisfies the continuity of membership requirements.

Source: Big West Conference.

Effective date: August 1, 2004."

Re: NCAA legislation

I found the whole bylaw- LINK Proposed Bylaw 2003-13

If I read it correctly, the postseason ineligibility would be reduced to 2 years for all sports except BB, and eight years for BB. This would be great if it passes. Eight years for BB is still long, but a lot better than 13!! ;D ;D

Comment

What does it mean by "Effective date: August 1, 2004"
      Is this something that has already passed?

Comment

I read it, that if passed it will take effect Aug. 1, 2004.

Comment

If you read all the by-law from the link posted by Bisonguy, you will note that the Management Council did not take any action on the by-law proposal. It says it took no action on the by-law.  

What this means to me is that the by-law still has to be acted on the Management Council, and if they approve,the by-law goes to the full membership convention in January.  The way I read this then, is that its been deferred to the next legislative year which means that it will again have to be considered by the Management Council in 2004 and if passed would go to the full membership for a vote in January 2005.  I suspect the full memberhsip could be hit at the national convention with tons of by-laws more than could be considered, and therefore a management council sorts through things and holds back on by-law such as this one.
          I could be wrong of it, but thats how I think it works.

The 13 year period helps all the current members as it means more revenue from the Big Dance. Thats why its going to be a task to get it shorten.

Comment

True, the 13 year auto qual. does in fact protect current members. However I think there is an awareness that it is punitive by nature. I think you see some of the members worried about the power the current system has for one or two schools to hold a conf. hostage. It may not be as difficult as you think. That being said the NCAA is a huge bureaucracy, and thing will not move fast so I think SDSUFAN's time line might be right.

That is if anything happens at all. Or something entirely different could come down the pike. I would like to see it happen and the sooner the better, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Go SDSU!

Comment

Basketball coaches want ethics code

ROSEMONT, Ill. - Division I college basketball coaches agreed to adopt a code of ethics and hope to work closely with the NCAA to change or possibly eliminate some of the rules governing the sport.

Nearly 300 coaches met for three hours at a hotel convention center Wednesday to discuss the various ethical problems that have plagued college basketball over the last six months.

NCAA president Myles Brand also attended the meeting - a promising sign for coaches who say they have often felt like adversaries of the NCAA instead of its partner.

"It opens up the door for cooperation, revisiting some rules," Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson said. "Sometimes when we talk about violations, or cheating, or coaches making a mistake - a lot of these things are rules that maybe could be eliminated."

The mandatory meeting was called by the 18-member board of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and was closed to the public. Coaches who didn't attend the session lost the right to buy Final Four tickets.

The meeting was called after a tumultuous year for college basketball that included:

• Georgia and Fresno State declaring themselves ineligible for postseason because of rules violations.

• Players at St. Bonaventure refusing to finish the season after it was discovered a teammate was improperly admitted to the school.

• Iowa State coach Larry Eustachy stepping down under pressure after it was found he partied with students after road games.

• A player at Baylor charged with murdering a teammate, and former coach Dave Bliss trying to cover up alleged NCAA violations by telling assistant coaches and players to lie and say the slain player had been dealing drugs to pay for school.

After the meeting, coaches offered few specifics of what was discussed. They characterized the session as an exchange of ideas.

They did agree to "customize a code of ethics" for their basketball programs, and said they would provide the NCAA recommendations on stiffer penalties for secondary recruiting violations. They also authorized the basketball coaches ethics committee to devise a plan to deal with poor behavior.

However, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said the most significant outcome of the conference was the presence of Brand and his vow to listen to coaches on how to solve college basketball's woes.

"Being able to have a partnership with the NCAA gives us an opportunity to revisit and look at some certain rules," Krzyzewski said. "I'm not going to go into individual rules. We talked about some things that we think can help coaches and help our game."

Comment

It was reported on the WDAY 6 O'clock news that the legislation to reduce the playoff ineligibility to five years for BB has passed the first vote or recommendation. We could find out by the end of next week if it will change. My details are slightly fuzzy, because I was eating dinner during the news. If you want to hear the newscast go to WDAY NEWS and watch the 6 o'clock newscast (it might not be up for a couple hours-they will probably still have last night's newscast on for a while) and go to around 20 minutes into the news for the sports.

Comment

I think that would be a huge boost in recruiting. Hopefully the NCAA big wigs pull through.

Comment

I think NDSU and SDSU would be in the NCAA basketball video games as well. ;D Some may say "big deal", but there will be a lot of perks to being playoff eligible in BB.

Comment

College basketball: Tournament eligibility is good news for Bison and Jacks

By Jeff Kolpack
                      The Forum - 10/29/2003

North Dakota State will apparently get its NCAA legislative wish. A

13-year postseason ban for men’s basketball is on its way out.

The NCAA Division I Management Council forwarded a proposal that would eliminate an additional eight-year ban of making the NCAA Division I men’s basketball tournament.

By forwarding it, the Management Council in effect had no problem with the proposal. It will be on the Council’s agenda at its January meeting.

“That’s a positive sign,” said NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor.

It’s good news to the NDSU men’s and women’s basketball teams. The legislation would eliminate an additional two-year ban for women’s programs.

The Bison are hoping to be NCAA tournament eligible in all sports by 2008-09.

“I think it’s critical,” said NDSU coach Tim Miles.

It’s critical for recruiting. By being eligible in 08-09, an incoming freshman next season can redshirt, and then be theoretically on a tournament team by their senior year.

“It’s significant to us,” said women’s athletic director Lynn Dorn.

“It affords us the opportunity to recruit student-athletes with the hopes of having them make an immediate impact.”

There are still a few legislative hoops to go through, however. The NCAA membership will have 60 days after the January meeting to study the proposal. Feedback will be received at the April Division I Management Council meeting.

At that point, the Management Council can either make an amendment to the proposal or forward it to the NCAA Board of Directors for final approval.

The impetus for change, Taylor said, is coming from the Big West Conference. The league is poised to add California Davis, but not at the expense of a 13-year postseason men‘s basketball probation.

“The Big West said this is unfair, this is restrictive,” Taylor said.

It’s already been a lengthy fight for NDSU, which has been working on the issue for more than a year. Taylor said the fact the five-year transition period is new -- it began last year -- is a major reason for the delay.

Schools formerly had to go through a two-year wait. A Division I moratorium on expansion went into effect in 2000 and was lifted last year.

NDSU is in the first year of its five-year transition, although the school is still Division II eligible this year.

Comment

Championships – Automatic Qualification. (NCAA Proposal No. 2003-13)

I received info this weekend from what I consider to be a reliable source that Porposal 2003-13 has cleared another hurdle. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I have been searching the web and I cannot find further info than just the proposal and the fact that it passed the first vote last fall. Anyone have the scoop??
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

According to the Mountain West Conference website, it's still in a 60 day comment period. What procedures follow the comment period, I haven't a clue.

2003-2004 Legislative Tracking Sheet

The Override and Comment Periods end on MARCH 11, 2004.

Proposal No. 2003-13: CHAMPIONSHIPS - AUTOMATIC QUALIFICATION

To eliminate the automatic qualification period for an institutionreclassifying to NCAA Division I status that joins an established conference that currently satisfies the continuity of membership requirements.

Comment

More details -- The proposition was approved by the NCAA Division I management council in January. Once that happened it was set out to the membership for comment in advance of the final action on the proposition.  In April it will go back to the Council who can consider the comments, and assuming they still approve, amend the proposition or leave it as is and send it to the Board of Directors for final approval.   In other words, we shouldn't hear anything meaningful until April.  

This is based on my uneducated look at the NCAA constitution, so all warranties, express or implied, are explicitly disclaimed.  

Comment

This is the part that somewhat bothers me:

To eliminate the automatic qualification period for an institutionreclassifying to NCAA Division I status that joins an established conference that currently satisfies the continuity of membership requirements.
                              I believe there has to be six core members that are post-season eligible to meet the criteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X