SD rivalries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD rivalries

Over the years one thing that I always took pride in, is that all the other D-II schools looked at us as their in-state rival. Who does USD want (and I stress want to beat, because it hasn't happened in along time) to beat its SDSU. If Augie could only beat one team who would they pick? That's right the Jackrabbits. Even Northern State cares more about the NSU vs SDSU game then they do about Augie or USD. Everyone wants to knock off the BIG DOG, or in this case the BIG JACKRABBIT.

Here are highlights from another story from the Argus, this time on how USD and Augie are going to try and replace us.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Fridayarticle3.shtml

Augie vs. USD: A rivalry rising?
    Mick Garry
    mgarry@argusleader.com

published: 2/27/2004

Coyote, Viking athletic departments hope to see building tradition

Like it or not, tonight's South Dakota vs. Augustana basketball games are the undercards at the DakotaDome, the warm-up acts for Saturday's South Dakota State vs. USD regular-season finales.

The biggest games on Augustana and USD's schedules for decades have been the contests with SDSU. But that fact is likely to change next season when SDSU moves out of the North Central Conference and into Division I. The Jacks could still play the Vikings and Coyotes, but the rivalries, as they exist now, will never be the same. . . .

"I think there's a good chance of us developing a stronger rivalry with Augustana than we have now," said USD basketball coach Chad Lavin, a USD alum. "We have a much better chance than State will ever have of replacing us as a rival, I know that. Anyone who thinks SDSU will be able to replace our rivalry with somebody else doesn't understand what rivalries are all about." . . .

It might be hard to replace what we had with USD but the trade off of moving to D-I is well worth it. We will also develop a new D-I rival, it is the nature of sports. Who knows it maybe NDSU, it might be UNI, or someone from one of our new Conferences. Who ever it is it won't be USD, but it will probably be better.

Go SDSU!

Re: SD rivalries

From the mouth of Chad Lavin:
    "I think there's a good chance of us developing a stronger rivalry with Augustana than we have now," said USD basketball coach Chad Lavin, a USD alum. "We have a much better chance than State will ever have of replacing us as a rival, I know that. Anyone who thinks SDSU will be able to replace our rivalry with somebody else doesn't understand what rivalries are all about." . . .
    Does that statement show the arrogance that USD people have or what? SDSU won't be able to replace USD as a rival as easily as USD will replace SDSU. That's a load of crap. Just look at the attendance figures quoted in the article. SDSU drew twice as many people to Vermillion as Augie last year. Yet, when a school like NDSU comes to Frost we have 5-6,000. I would like to say with confidence that a rivalry between SDSU and NDSU could eventually be as intense as that with USD. It will take time, but it will happen. Think about it, what's better than being best in your state...being better than a neighboring state! Look at some examples in D1 sports - Iowa vs. Minnesota (or Minnesota vs. Wisconsin), U of Illinois vs. Missouri, Nebraska vs. Kansas State or Colorado. Yes, I'll admit there are more in-state rivalries in big-time athletics, but that's not an option for SDSU. Time to develop the interstate rivalry to the north.

Go State, Screw mama Bison!

Comment

I'm with you. The trip to Fargo is one hell of a lot better than the trip to Vermillion. Continually kicking the coyotes asses gets old. At least with NDSU they have the upper hand in FB giving us extra motivation on the BB court. I could easily learn to hate the Bison. Never as much as I hate USD, however.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll_Guy
        From the mouth of Chad Lavin:

Look at some examples in D1 sports - Iowa vs. Minnesota (or Minnesota vs. Wisconsin), U of Illinois vs. Missouri, Nebraska vs. Kansas State or Colorado. Yes, I'll admit there are more in-state rivalries in big-time athletics, but that's not an option for SDSU. Time to develop the interstate rivalry to the north.

Go State, Screw mama Bison!
        Or probably the biggest rivalry of all -- Michigan and Ohio State

Comment

Working...
        X