usd's student newspaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usd's student newspaper

If you want your blood pressure to notch up a bit, go see what the students of USD are writing concerning Saturday's games. Go to:

www.volanteonline.com

Re: usd's student newspaper

If you want to read some good articles on rivalry go to Game Day in the Volante. Blows away anything I have seen in the Collegian.

Comment

That was a pretty good history in the Volante. They even contacted Gene Zulk for his perspective. The only thing I would have added is some history of some wild things that have occurred during the rivalry.

Comment

I don't really find myself any more excited about this game with USD than any others.  If we win Friday we lock up the NCC title and host the NCC tourney.  If we lose UNO get the #1 seed (unless Augie pulls the upset of the year).  USD is out of the NCC race.

The significance is really that regarding seeding for the regional.  How high can the Jacks go (#1 I hope) and willl USD get a spot.  USD also needs 2 wins to garuntee a home game in the opening round of the NCC tourney.  

Granted, it was a great rivalry.  USD will certainly miss it more than SDSU.  They won't draw more than 5,000 fans to a game again.  Jacks need to win 2 this weekend for reasons more immediate than the history of the rivalry and the final game.  

The USD fans and players may want to focus more on the seasons outcome and less on the rivalry or they may find themselves on the road for the opening game of the NCC tourney where a loss would probably land them out of the post-season again.  Wouldn't hurt my feelings any.  

P.S. 20 guests on the board today, I don't think I've seen that many before. Its all good!
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree the Volante did a nice job of writing stories leading up to Saturday. Their paper is a lot better than the Collegian. Something is wrong with that. It's like nobody at State cares about the newspaper.

There were some errors in the Volante. They said Boots held a 11-5 advantage over Nagy. That is not right. Nagy has a 11-6 record over Boots.

At least the Volante has something in common with the Collegian - accuracy isn't that important to young journalists.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
            I agree the Volante did a nice job of writing stories leading up to Saturday. Their paper is a lot better than the Collegian. Something is wrong with that. It's like nobody at State cares about the newspaper.

There were some errors in the Volante. They said Boots held a 11-5 advantage over Nagy. That is not right. Nagy has a 11-6 record over Boots.

At least the Volante has something in common with the Collegian - accuracy isn't that important to young journalists.

Funding is an issue that should not be ignored. There's a stark difference in the amount of cash getting tossed the way of the Volante. Can you think of some USD alumni who might be instrumental in this?

Comment

The Volante doesn't receive any more funding than The Collegian does. The money from "The Certain Alumn" went to the building and furniture, among other things.

Day to day operations, The Volante has the same as The Collegian. They just use it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious Guy
                The Volante doesn't receive any more funding than The Collegian does. The money from "The Certain Alumn" went to the building and furniture, among other things.

Day to day operations, The Volante has the same as The Collegian. They just use it better.
                That's fine to say, but not true. First, the Volante has infinitely better equipment. They shoot digital, end to end. A press-quality digi cam runs about $4,000. If you'd seen a Volante photojournalist at a USD game three years ago, he/she'd be sporting a 300/2.8 lens. Price tag: $2000 plus. The Collegian photojournalist: Wal-Mart quality stuff paid for out of pocket. The Volante PJ: paid for by the newspaper.

The building is new. The equipment new. It's a dedicated journalism building, not a run down hole in the basement of the Student Union. That's significant as well.

And regarding the lack of donations directly for the paper, that's not quite the facts. Neuharth gave $1 million to the paper in 1989. When one publishes a weekly paper, 1 million goes a *long* ways.

This, by the way, doesn't excuse the Collegian for being so crappy. Part of the problem is that anyone worth their salt will find a better job. They just don't pay enough at the Collegian to make it worth it at all. And the reputation of the Collegian isn't such that you can get much resume fodder from the job.

Comment

You can say what you want, but The Volante DOES NOT get much money, if any at all, from the Neuharth donation. I know this because I work there.

Yes, the Neuharth fund sends some people to conventions occasionally. But those cameras you are referring to? Paid for by the GAF fees, not by Neuharth. Those computers your talking about? They came out of own account, as well. The furniture did come from Neuharth. The building did to, with a combination donation from USD Foundation.

We probably get more GAF fees than the Collegian. But it is not the Neuharth donation. That is a fact. The Neuharth donation doesn't pay for anything, including printing, computers, payroll, etc... That all comes from the GAF fees and the money we earn from advertising.

Thanks for listening

Comment

I don't personally care if the Volante is better than the Collegian.  I spent 4 years at each institution and I have no doubt that the one in Brookings is far superior to the one in Vermillion (with the exception of the campus newspaper).  I wish more students from USD had the oppotunity to experience SDSU.  I think they would see an immediate advantage in Brookings.  

Of course, the snobby, yuppy want-to-be frat boys from Sioux Falls will always prefer USD.  I think everyone at SDSU wants it to remain that way.  Keep the frat boys, Mueller (point guard of the year, for what, leading his team to a .500 record), and sissys in Vermillion, thats what its there for.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I am sure when you graduated from State and enrolled in med school at the U, you lowered the average GPA at both institutions.

Comment

This attitude is exactly the reason why SDSU gets my money and USD keeps on asking/begging. Goyotes keep on sucking, thats what your best at.

Comment

I smell a troll!

Comment

Based on the recent Collegian article it appears that State is trying to improve their ability to suck.

Comment

Working...
                            X