Matt Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Jones

I'm not trying to be negative after such a great start to the season and a big win today. However, I am concerned that Matt may not be physically and (even more concerning) mentally prepared to play this year. I have no inside info or contacts so this is only speculation.

Regardless, my hope is that Nagy is preparing the team as if Jones will not play. I suspect that he is as I have no doubt that he is one of the best coaches in all of basketball. No question this team is better with Matt Jones (as any team would be) but I think they can win without him (and I mean win it all). However, there can be no indecision or uncertainty. If he can't go then lets develop the young guys (both Green and Beran can play inside in the NCC) and give DeJong the confidence and support that he needs to carry this team! Cerveny can only contribute as a role player with limited minutes (less than 10/game) this year.

I can see Moeller and Q's confidence in Beran, DeJong, Green, and Schantz (as an inside player) increasing each game that Jones misses. They are the guys, the gaurds, who can get the ball inside and therefore are the key to our inside game (and I think, ultimately, our success).

Unless there is something about Matt's health/playing status that I don't know, I think Nagy should anticipate and prepare the team as if he won't be playing. If he comes back in the middle of the season or the end of the year, then great. I am confident this team can win without Matt Jones. Please, let me know what you guys think.

This is not intended as critizism for Matt. I just don't want the team to keep waiting on him.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Matt Jones

DeJong seems to be rising to the challenge, and Beran and Green seem to have pretty unlimited potential. I think Schantz is stepping up into more of a senior leadership role, too.

I have absolutely no inside info, but I'd have to think that the situation is just tearing Jones up inside...to not be able to contribute to this team, this year has got to be just an awful feeling. I hope he gets back on the court this year, but more than that I hope they figure out what's wrong and how to fix it.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I agree, this team is to good to get side tracked about one players health. I would like to see Jones back, but if not lets move forward without him.

Comment

I think Matt's health has to the main concern here at least that's what I feel as a human being. I hope the professionals attending to his health care can resolve this issue once and for all.  

That said:
        I think Nagy has impressed the importance of team that the rest of the season will take care of its self.  All the other guys will step up.

As jackmd told me off the board, there is danger in Matt trying to play with the sleeping sickness lingering and I would think the wise thing would be to get the problem resolve before he is release to play again.  This could mean sitting out another season, and if its a matter of life and death, I would rather see some loses in the record book then to see something very tragic happen to Matt.  I think he is a very fine young man, and I wish him the best.

Comment

For sure Jones' health should be his #1 concern. I hope I didn't come across as uncaring. All I am trying to say is as a team if it is time to move on (and I don't know if it is or not), then it is time to move on. I want Matt to take care of himself and I want the team to take care of itself. I am not suggesting that Matt get kicked off or anything like that, I just don't want his health issuse to distract the team and the season they are having.

Comment

I want to second what DWB (DancesWithRabbits) just said. I am certain it would be most beneficial for Matt and the team if a definitive decision was made regarding his playing status. I think that decision should be made and announced now, if possible, or the reason for his not playing should be revealed. Speculation and uncertainty are detrimental to the well-being of the player and the team. Perhaps, Coach Nagy and Matt have made the team well aware of future plans and it just hasn't been made public. I am fine with this but I would sleep better at night if I knew .
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Dancing With Rabbits;

No I dont think you came across as non-caring. I agree with the thinking we may have to plan for play without Jones, and today's game proves that rest of the team can do that.

Our efforts at times today at Michigan Tech seem to be lethargic side especially parts of second half, but that was probably due to other factors than missing Matt Jones.  No matter how awesome this team may be and it has been awesome so far, we can expect some let downs from time to time.  What is amazing about Coach Nagy, is his ability to nip these drops off in the bud and still come out a winner.  I.E CSP and Mich Tech.  We certainly do have one of the best in BB.

I think our team is an inspiration for all us in making things happen.  No matter how things turn out, I think these guys are huge representatives of our fine University. I would like to have an NC, but whatever happens, we can still be very proud of our guys.

Comment

Agreed. I also want to say on the record that this team is better off if Matt Jones can come back and I hope that happens. Good luck to Matt and the Rabbits!

Comment

I too hope Matt does not have any long term effects of the Mono he had. I do hope he may be able to play sparingly until he might be able to regain is strength. We are a much deeper team with him in the rotation. I'm pleased to see Jared DeJong step up and gain confidence in Matt's absence. Think what we will have when he returns!

Comment

If he is suffering long term effects from the mono then playing and practicing will not harm him he will just fatigue more quickly and require a longer recovery time. I hope we can utilize him sparingly at least, as he is one of the most explosive forwards/small centers in Division II. I still have several concerns. Have other diagnoses been excluded and how is he dealing with things mentally? Does he have family support, a girlfriend? Is he able to keep up in the classroom or is this also adding stress? I wish we knew the answers.

Comment

Word has it there is some growing frustration in the Jacks family over Matt Jones inability to get back out on the court. Evidently he has been trying some unorthodoxed measures to get back on the court! I have not heard if he will be playing this weekend but evidently he gets nauseaus everytime he tries to go hard. I don't understand what he is going through but it would be nice and a real lift for the team if he could give us a few minutes. I would not advocate this it could cause more serious damage. Maybe JACK MD could enlighten us.

Comment

Its difficult for me to comment on Matt's case, specifically, since I have never reviewed his chart, interviewed, or examined him.

EBV syndrome can occur after someone suffers from mononucleosis. It is not well understood and generally consists of a continuous symptom of fatigue which limits the patients activity/excercise capacity. It would be difficult for an athlete to compete at the college level if he or she is suffering from EBV syndrome. The nausea may be secondary to exhaustion as we have all experienced this. Nausea itself is not a common symptom in EBV syndrome.

There are those who believe the prolonged symptoms of fatigue may be related to an emotional or mental illness. I do not know Matt or his family but I am sure this whole experience has been difficult and there may be some issues related to mental, as well as physical stress/illness.

As SDSU fans we would all like to see Matt Jones and his talent on the basketball court. As fellow human beings we all wish the best for him from a health standpoint. I trust that his physicians have excluded the more serious causes for fatigue and prolonged illness such as cancer, diabetes, anemia, etc..

If anyone has more specific questions regarding these issues please feel free to send me a personal message.

Comment

I posted this on the MSU thread, but wanted to put it here as well. Last night on the radio, Steve said that Matt's doctors have figured out what is wrong with him (Steve did not share what is wrong with him, if he knows) and they expect him back in about a month. Good news for Matt and SDSU.

Go State!

Comment

This is only a rumor/speculation but I was informed last night in Mankato by a fellow fan that Matt was diagnosed with Lyme disease at the Mayo Clinic.  I cannot confirm this diagnosis, nor do I know if he was even seen here at Mayo.  I hope Matt will recover and return to play for SDSU.

Comment

Well, I assure you that there's an entire armada of people in Brookings talking about MJ. I'd heard that he was at the Mayo Clinic, as mentioned above, but last night at the bar the info was that he's got sleep apnea. However, I'm leaning towards Lyme Disease, as the people at the bar were just as drunk as me.

Comment

Working...
                              X