Chris Solari is a Yote lover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Solari is a Yote lover

My question is, did Chris write this article or does he let the SID at Vermillion do his work for him. His stuff has such a USD slant it is hard to say.

http://www.argusleader.com/sidebar/S...article2.shtml

NDSU ends USD's season, Koupal's reign
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 3/13/2004

Coyote senior scores 32 to cap the best career in state history

ST. PAUL, Minn. - One last time, Mandy Koupal battled for the ball, one more possession, one final glimmer of hope.

It wasn't to be. North Dakota State came away with the basketball, running out the clock on the finest career in South Dakota women's basketball history.

NDSU ended Koupal's collegiate career Friday night, beating the University of South Dakota 70-63 in North Central Region action at the Gangelhoff Center on the campus of Concordia University.

The Bison got a critical 3-pointer from senior Michelle Fricke and with just over a minute left to help overcome Koupal's 32-point, 16-rebound performance.

"It still hasn't hit me yet," said Koupal, as the ever-stoic senior forward flashed a rare show of emotion, valiantly holding back a pool of tears in her eyes. "But we had a great year, and that's what I'm focusing on right now. We overcame a lot. I'm really proud of the team we had." . . .

She might have "the best career in state history" but she dosen't have a ring. :'(

Go State!

Re: Chris Solari is a Yote lover

I just posted a similar thread under "women's basketball".  There truly is a slant to his writing and I have to believe it is encouraged by someone else.  The same trend was present long before Chris arrived.  For years, articles about high school sports, amatuer baseball, etc.. have favored southeast S.D.

Even the articles from the women's regional where USD lost and SDSU won seem reversed in their enthusiasm. He did get this part right about the SDSU game:

Three other Jackrabbits finished in double digits Friday: Megan Vogel with 14, Brooke Dickmeyer with 11 and Stacie Cizek with 10. But it was a wonder either team made it to the 50-point mark after an ugly first half.

Looking down from somewhere above, basketball's inventor, Dr. James A. Naismith , had to have shed a few tears because the Jacks and Lopers put on putrid showcase of something besides basketball. Neither team found any sort of rhythm, killing long stretches of the clock with lifeless, scoreless play. A four minute, 12 second span came and went without a basket for either team, and four timeouts dragged out the torture.

Kearney went its final 15 possessions of the half without a field goal, committing eight turnovers and scoring just three free throws in that stretch. The Lopers made just 7 of 23 shots for the period.

SDSU fared no better, going 1-for-11 from 3-point range and connecting on 27.4 percent from the field. However, that 3-pointer by senior Cizek was part of a 7-3 mini-spurt that put SDSU ahead 23-19 at intermission.

Couple the poor play - the teams combined for 44 turnovers in the contest - with the officials' inconsistent whistles and you had a physical back-alley brawl at both ends of the court.

Jacks need top-notch performances from the men and women tonight if we hope to keep our last season in DII alive. GO RABBITS.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have had a few email exchanges with Chris Solari and he basically is doing his job. His roots are in Michigan so he has no attachement to either SDSU and USD.  Even though, he covers SDSU sports, I dont think we can always expect homor written articles either.  He has questioned the D1 move, but the entire Sioux Fall Argus editoral board has too.

Its more about the love affair with Sioux Falls and having sort of a high mighty attitude. Alumguy touched on this in one of his posts. The rest of the state that includes Brookings and Vermillion are often look down upon with scorn. If SDSU or USD for that matter, were located in Sioux Falls, there is no doubt in my mind that that both schools would get better publicity.  That is right now.

USF seems to get better publicty than SDSU sometimes and its about location and not affliation with the NCAA versus the NAIA. Plus being the University of Sioux Falls makes a better and sophicated name despite its a struggling private school connected with the American Baptist Church.

I guess we should not expect better from the Sioux Falls or the the Argus.  Although KSOO'S VPU radio show does not ordinarily talk sports, Rick Knobe and Randy McDaniels were yesterday going on and on about USF and getting into the NAIA Elite Eight.  They also scoffed one day about SDSU playing Western Oregan instead of Augustana.

The Sioux Falls media market is going to take its time in coming around to supporting South Dakota's one and only D1 school.  Right now they seem to very skeptical and not helpful.

SDSU is going to have to work without them and find better ways to get to the Sioux Falls people interested in sports at SDSU.

Comment

Guys,

Maybe you are right and this is just par for he course.  Perhaps I woke in a surly mood.  It just seemed a little extra annoying to me because I read three of his stories in a row.  I know how the Argus is, I just felt the need to let off a little steam.  >   It is frustrating to see how the Fargo paper covers NDSU and then to read the Argus.  I am not asking for "homer" reporting, but it might be nice to hear how the SDSU's women started their defense of their National Title, how SDSU's men have been to the big dance more then just about anyone else in the nation.  You know, the "facts".  I guess that it what I expect from a media outlet.  I would like them to report facts and let the reader decide how to interpret them (unless it is an editorial).

I find lines like:  "Looking down from somewhere above, basketball's inventor, Dr. James A. Naismith , had to have shed a few tears because the Jacks and Lopers put on putrid showcase of something besides basketball." a little over the top. I didn't get a chance to listen, and I will take the Doc's word that SDSU didn't play their best ball, but come on. The founder of Basketball weeping. : I read an article over on Bisonville about Savannah State scoring an NCAA record low 3 points in a half, that might make Naismith cry.

There I feel better, no more talk of the Argus.  It is game day and the Jackrabbits have some work to do.   ;D

Go State!

Comment

89rabbit
          No problem about being surly, I dont think you were. It appears the Argus sent one reporter to St Paul to cover both USD and SDSU, Solari. Although the SDSU women did not have a good performance, the James Naismith reference was not called for.  I think  Solari was trying to be Jeff Kolpeck(Fargo Forum) whom he is not by any means. Jeff is an excellent reporter. I though, smart enough to not comment on Mike McFeeley the other Forum reporter. We will leave that to the Bison fans.   ;D

None of these reporters are perfect and I know I could not do as good of a job.  The Argus has got to stop being so parochial, meaning if its not in Sioux Falls, its not news.

If SDSU D1 concept had been born in a office in Sioux Falls rather than in a office in Brookings occupied by a charming lady with a Kentucky accent, it would have the Argus support.  Plus, the influence of Al Neuhart at the Argus is a board room mystery. It sure makes you wonder how much time he spends at the Argus and on the phone to the publisher.

One thing that makes me happy about yesterday's game is that the "Nose" Mandy Koupals's career is over and USD can't get any more miles out of that one.  She should be sheading a few tears and if she had stayed at SDSU, she would have a NC ring to wear.  

One other good thing is that Chad Lavin can start planning for next year as Koupal and Schooley his two  SDSU steals are also done and record book history.

The best thing I read in the Sioux Falls Argus this morning was reading that the Brookings HS women are in the CLASS AA Finals after beating SF Roosvelt. Old Fred Tibbets got it handed to him. He is the Sioux Fall pipe line to USD.

The great thing about  Brookings is that the coach is Lisa Kannegater, a former Jack Player. For her to stick to Fred is just the best thing that ever happened. I knew Lisa would be a winning coach sooner or later and this year appears to be it winning with sophomores.

Stu Whittney, wrote the Brookings-Roosvelt story and he is no lover of SDSU and/or Brookings either. So its not just Solari, its the whole darn staff at the Argus.

Comment

Working...
          X