NIT -- Not a bad gig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIT -- Not a bad gig

Fellow Jackrabbit loyalists -- I got a look at the NIT experience last night here in Boise and, contrary to my uninformed preconceptions, it was a pretty entertaining experience. First, a little background. Boise State won 19 games this year and finished third in the WAC. That was enough to get them invited to host and play an NIT game. Now I wouldn't classify Boise as a big basketball town (football is definitely king here), but the NIT game against UNLV was the buzz of the town. I bought my tickets (MUCH cheaper than an NCAA game) and joined approximately 9300 rowdy basketball fans to watch what became a pretty exciting game. BSU and Boise made a good enough impression on the NIT that they will host another game on Saturday night against UW-Milwaukee. One would presume that a game against a lesser-known school like UW-Milwaukee would reduce some of the excitement for NIT basketball here. Wrong. My ticket-purchasing proxy stood in line for two hours today to get us seats for the game on Saturday. I'm looking forward to some more entertaining basketball. Sure, it ain't the big show, but it far exceeded my expectations for excitement and quality of play. Someday I'd like to have the same experience with our Jackrabbits on the court.

Re: NIT -- Not a bad gig

Thank you Crashola.

This is the kind of post we need. Post season basketball can have meaning without being the NCAA's. Just try to tell those players in the NIT that their games are meaningless. Pride of the players and fan pride are all evident at the NIT.

From a men's basketball standpoint we look at it like this (FES'ers this is aimed at you). We currently do not have a conference, probably a year out yet. So next year is a get your feet wet year. Year two, conference basketball, some growth, conference tournament experience. Year three & four, more growth, good showing in regular season, possible run at conference tournament title. Could lead to NIT bid, i.e. Boise State or UW-Milaukee (honestly, who outside of Miluakee has heard of UW-Milaukee). Hopefully the wait period is reduced by then so that by years 5-8 SDSU can be playing for the conference automatic bid or continued shots at the NIT. You've got to start somewhere with some goals. So those that say men's basketball will be playing for nothing lets not forget that the NIT is an invitational tournament that we do NOT have to wait to be eligible for.

Football solved the "playing for nothing" problem by having the Great West formed. And before the FES'ers come back with, "but we're not playing for a National Championship", stop right there. SDSU has not been to the NCAA playoffs or won a conference championship in football in a generation. So there has to be a starting point, that being a conference championship. Don't put the cart before the horse by demanding a football national championship before a conference championship is realized.

Sorry, got a little off the NIT topic, but I think I got my point across. NIT = good thing = success = leaving those schools south on I-29 (but north of Nebraska) further in the rearview mirror.

Comment

Working...
    X