Being in the Big Dance is worth Big $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being in the Big Dance is worth Big $$$

Here is a story from the Des Moines Register (just got back from a meeting in Des Moines (18 inch of snow, glad to be back in KC, the grass is already turning green) about what it means to a School and Conf. when you get into the Big Dance.

http://desmoinesregister.com/sports/.../23821596.html

UNI's tournament berth money in bank for league
    By TOM WITOSKY
    Register Staff Writer
    03/17/2004
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Northern Iowa's berth in the NCAA men's basketball tournament will provide the Missouri Valley Conference with more than $550,000 over the next six years, the conference's top official said.

"You can't put a price on what having Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois in the tournament means for us in terms of visibility and prestige," said Doug Elgin, commissioner of the Missouri Valley Conference, which usually has only one NCAA Tournament team. "The additional cash is going to be pretty nice, too."

NCAA Division I basketball conferences will receive $105.3 million from the NCAA's basketball fund this year. The money is distributed from the 11-year television contract with CBS Sports, which provides an average of $595 million per year to the NCAA over the length of the contract.

Elgin said each game played by a school in this year's tournament will be worth $152,652. In addition to that money brought in by Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois, the MVC will receive credit for the total number of games played by the two schools this year over the next five years.

NCAA officials allocate money from their basketball fund on the basis of each conference's performance in the tournament over a six-year period. As a result, Elgin estimated that Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois' bids in this year's tournament will generate a combined $1.12 million over the next six years - even if they are eliminated after one game. . . .

. . . .Northern Iowa's appearance this year will be the first time the school has generated basketball fund money for the conference. In 1990, money from Northern Iowa's two NCAA Tournament games was paid to the Mid-Continent Conference.

Hartzell said the conference's distribution policy will provide the school with $50,000 to help pay for expenses of this week's trip to Milwaukee, where the 14th-seeded Panthers will meet No. 3 seed Georgia Tech.

If the Panthers would advance beyond this weekend, the school would receive another $50,000.

Go State!

Re: Being in the Big Dance is worth Big $$$

Metro gets at least that for making the Elite 8, don't they?? ;D
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Too bad the women's DI tournament doesn't pull down that type of coin. The mid-major conferences would ultimately be clawing over each other to get NDSU and SDSU as members.

Comment

89 Rabbit, That was a good article about northern iowa.
        There was a big article a couple of weeks ago in USA Today about norther iowa and how they are the prototype of what aspiring d1 schools shoot for. They win and do it on a reasonable budget. They have been able to do it - maybe sdsu/ndsu will over time. Most schools like UMKC and most others haven't.
        I grew up in KC, MO near the Plaza lived there until I was 30. Kansas City is a nice place but really doesn't have much over Omaha when it comes to raising a family. Omaha has less congestion, slightly cheaper housing, a much more vibrant downtown area, a lot less crime, better zoo and children's museum, better public school system. KC has major league sports if that is what you call the Royals (at least until last year) and they have Worlds of Fun and a more reasonable property tax. You can make a case for saying that kc is nicer than omaha but there is no case to be made at all (EVER) for saying that Brookings is in same league with OMaha or even Council Bluffs.
        By the way are you one of those arrogant Johnson County types?

Comment

If your comparing Midwest Metro Cities I will take my home in the Twin Cities over your version of paradise of Omaha and Kansas City any day. I have never heard anyone so gung ho about Omaha. By Nebraska standards I guess you call it a city but not by anyone elses.

Comment

I dont believe this is even an argument on this site. Who ever said brookings was better than Omaha or KC, Big jake you don't get it. Brookings isn't Omaha, it isn't KC, it isn't even Fargo, and it doesn't want to be. Brookings is a collegetown (recently ranked 3rd in the nation in its category). Thats right a collegetown, not a city. A collegetown something that Omaha will never be and exactly why UNO (or Creighton to some extent) will never and would never have the following, support, or excitement that Jackrabbit athletics have. There is too much else to do in Omaha, which is a good thing for you if you live there, except for the fact you are obviously a diehard UNO or UMKC fan(where as KC falls in the same category), so your teams will always draw 500 or 2000 or even 3000, but they will always be the seventh or eighth, or fifteenth option for entertainment on any given night. There are a lot of big time, successful, D1 athletic programs in small towns, college towns across the US. Is Brookings one of them, not yet....
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Even as a college town I don't know how you can put Brookings in the top 10. I haven't been to a lot of them in the east coast but I can think of 10 around here that are superior that I have seen
              1. madison ,wi
              2. manhattan, ks
              3. Lincoln, Ne
              4. Heck I would even put Kearney, Ne ahead of Brookings or at least even
              5. Iowa City, Iowa
              6. Cedar Falls,Ia.
              7. Lawrence, Ks
              8. columbia, mo
              9. ann arbor, mi
              10. pullman, wa
              Those above aren't in order of preference.
              Those are just a few places i Have been that are far superior to brookings except kearney which is its equal.
              As far Brookings goes I would equate it with like Joplin, MO (mo southern) or Emporia, Ks (ESU). I wouldn't commit suicide if I had to move to one of those places but I surely wouldn't be happy about it. I don't know what criteria they used to put Brookings as #3 but not very many reasonable people would put brookings ahead of many of the 10 I have listed above. Maybe one of the top 10 d2 school locations?
              As far as MInneapolis I would agree it is a great city and I had a chance to get a job there a long time ago. I didn't go there bc
              1. too much congestion and driving there
              2. Having kids - there is too much cold weather and kids don't get as much of an opportunity to be outside for much of the year like they would in omaha or kc. Being outside is an important part of one's youth. That is why so many kids today are fat - they spend too much time indoors watching tv, videos and computers. You get no argument saying Minneapolis is a nicer place than Omaha. But using my narrow criteria I find Omaha more acceptable than either Minneapolis or KC.Those 2 reasons are why I don't live in MInneapolis. Omaha (IMHO) is
              a better place to raise kids but nobody is going to confuse this place with the "garden spot of America".

Comment

The article about collegetowns is posted under one of the threads on this site, since you spend more time on this board than most of us im sure you have seen it.  I bet someone would be glad to post the link if they can.  We were rated in a category, just like universities are rated in categories.  Its exactly why SDSU is never compared to Harvard, or UNO is never compared to Killian Community College, there are categories.  I noticed that almost all of the towns you listed (Besides Kearney and maybe Cedar Falls) were bigtime DI programs, and like i said brookings is not one of them.  I would take exception that Brookings is not better that Kearney.  
                If you haven't read Rabbit in Verm post on the other thread you should.  I personally enjoy reading some of your posts BigJake, they make me laugh which is why i read this board.  I even think it is great to get a negative opinion on some of the things discussed because we too often only see things through our Blue and Yellow eyes. But come on, you don't post on this board and continually talk trash about the University that it is set up for.  
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
                  Even as a college town I don't know how you can put Brookings in the top 10. I haven't been to a lot of them in the east coast but I can think of 10 around here that are superior that I have seen
                  This isn't even germane to this issue. Are you one of those arrogant Haakon county types?

Comment

Originally posted by Buster

This isn't even germane to this issue.  Are you one of those arrogant Haakon county types?
                    Haakon is a Norwegian King's name. To imagine we have Norwegian presence in South Dakota.  I dont know Buster where Haakon County is located but West River somewhere. I did not know there was enough people in that county to be arrogant about anything.

Comment

He He

Comment

What would we do without guests like Ron who add so much intellectually to this board. If you don't have anything reasonable intelligent to add to the board don't waste our time here!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
                          89 Rabbit,  That was a good article about northern iowa.
                          There was a big article a couple of weeks ago in USA Today about norther iowa and how they are the prototype of what aspiring d1 schools shoot for.  They win and do it on  a reasonable budget.  They have been able to do it - maybe sdsu/ndsu will over time.  Most schools like UMKC and most  others haven't.  
                          I grew up in KC, MO near the Plaza lived there until I was 30.  Kansas City is a nice place but really doesn't have much over Omaha when it comes to raising a family.  Omaha has less congestion, slightly cheaper housing,  a much more vibrant downtown area, a lot less crime, better zoo and children's museum, better public school system.  KC has major league sports if that is what you call the Royals (at least until last year) and they have Worlds of Fun and a more reasonable property tax.  You can make a case for saying that kc is nicer than omaha but there is no case to be made at all (EVER) for saying that Brookings is in same league with OMaha or even Council Bluffs.
                          By the way are you one of those arrogant Johnson County types?  
                          Ok,

I am going to go backward on this one so as to get us back on topic.  I do live in Johnson County, KS.  I see you have an opinion already and I will leave it at that.  I think Jackrabbit1979 hit the nail on the head as Brookings is a COLLEGE TOWN. Enough said. I also noticed that along with your many name changes you appear to have changed where you grew up.  On Bisonville you claimed to have grown up in ND and graduated from NDSU before you found the "nirvana" that is Omaha. Now you are a KC guy. :  Here is a link to Bisonville where you can fight the battle of why Omaha dosen't suck if you would like:

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...9557790;start=

And another thread you can visit:

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1078424916

Now lets get back on topic.  You claim that the USA Today said that UNI is a prototype.  Guess what UNI was a charter memeber of the NCC.  Just like SDSU and NDSU.  So I guess you can stop worrying about us and get on the UMKC board and help them.  I am sure they will appreciate your assistance.

http://www.voy.com/31401/

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Johnson County SDSU fan, I would think you would be more sympathetic to what I have stated about the challenges that UMKC has faced in their 20 years of going D1. I honestly believe I have not overstated anything about their struggles. Another program I am familiar with is UTSA who has been D1 for about 20 years also. I follow them a lot too bc they are coached by former UNO coach Tim Carter who pulled a tim mcdermott and bailed after one season to UTSA. They have been to the Dance twice in 20 years so there is some hope for you although they are recruiting to a far more attractive place. Tim Carter is considered a success and I think he has won 115 games in 9 years. If my math is correct that is about 13 games a year in a crappy conference - and he is a success.
                            Hey I do have Johnson County envy if you are one of those fat cats who live in Hallbrook development of Johnson County. There is no D1 envy at all from me but a ton of envy if you live in either Hallbrook or Mission Hills.

Comment

BigJake,

Sorry, I am not that wealthy.  However I do like where I live.  Let me point out once again that UNI was in the NCC through the 1970's.  I believe we have more in common with them then we do with UMKC.  I have said it before and I will say it again:  UMKC is bad because UMKC is bad.  Can you point to a time when UMKC was ever  successful in Men's Basketball at any level NAIA, NCAA D-II, or NCAA D-I.  Please, please, please go to the UMKC sight and help the Roos, we will be just fine without your assistance.  As you have pointed out they have not been to the big dance ever.  20 years you say.  It only took IUPUI 5 years to make the Big Dance from the same Mid-Con Conference that UMKC plays in.  Help the Roos they need you.

http://www.voy.com/31401/

Back on subject.  UNI is going to make some Big $$$ for getting into this years NCAA tourney.  SDSU will someday be able to do the same.  Will it be easy?  No, but as they say you can't win if you don't play.  Last time I checked no member of the NCC has made it to the Big Dance.  

Big Jake,

I wish you and your UNO Mavericks the best.  Good luck in all that you strive to do.  It would be nice if you could do the same for us.  If not, then please just stop harrassing us here on our board.  Go play with the Roos or UTSA (who by the way made the Big Dance this year).  http://www.goutsa.com/

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X