METRO STATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• METRO STATE

I'm not looking past Northern but I do have a curiousity about the 2003/2004 version of Metro State. I know they have gone undefeated in RMAC Conference play and that is no small feat. However I question how good the conference is this year. Let's look at some facts:
    Metro State lost two non-conference games to NSIC teams. Winona State 74-65 (Jacks beat Winona 102-65) and they lost to Duluth 74-63 (Jacks beat Duluth 102-84). Metro played Colorado Mines twice winning on the road 90-69 and at home 94-59. Jacks beat Colorado Mines at home 102-82 and it wasn't nearly that close with bench getting a lot of time. Metro plays Mesa State on Saturday who they beat on the road 82-68 not a blowout compared to the large margins they beat the rest of the conference by. Metro has not a had a close game for a long time and may be vulnerable if tested down the stretch. First we have to get past Northern and if we do and Metro is waiting in the wings I think if we play like we are capable that we can beat them with our physical play.

Re: METRO STATE

Based on previous years I suspect they play to the level of their competition, a little bit. They will be geared up for SDSU (if we get past NSU). Their head coach will make certain of that. Each time we have played them they have employed some form of 3/4 to full court pressure/trapping which really gave us trouble. Primarily, I think, because we never see this defense in the NCC. Guard play will be of utmost importance.

They are usually quite physical inside but don't look to enter to the post as their primary offense. They prefer to use the dribble-drive and pass or shoot, entry to the high post and pass or shoot, or a perimeter based game. These observations are based on what I recall seeing from them in the regional in 2000, 2001, and 2002 and the Elite 8 in 2000 and 2002 which they won both years. It may be different this year.

Here is the link to their men's BB site for those interested in stats, etc..

http://www.mscd.edu/~runners/basketb...etballhome.htm
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Another interesting note is the recent press release by Metro stating their intention to deemphasize recruiting out of the Denver metro area. As you can see from the press release, they want to increase the metro area athlete to non-metro area athlete ratio from 2:1 to 4:1. Presumably, that ratio applies to all sports so it may not even affect their basketball roster. However, given the fact that half of their players are from outside the metro area (a number of which are from outside the U.S.) you have to think their hoops roster will look a little different in the future. That said, it is also likely that the administration would look the other way so long as the basketball team keeps bringing home the trophies.

http://www.mscd.edu/~runners/sportsi...20Releases.htm

Comment

This Jackrabbit team might (at least when it was playing well) have as good a chance to beat Metro as anyone has had recently.

The difference in this year's Jacks team when playing well is that multiple players have the ability to hit the 3 point shot. The difference when playing poorly is bad defensive intensity.

If the Jacks get by Northern (no given there...I remember well a regional final where the Wolves killed us from behind the line...I kept waiting for them to cool off in the second half, they never did, but I digress...) I think SDSU needs to sail into the game with a "let 'er rip on offense, get in their shorts on defense" attitude and really be aggressive for forty minutes. Let four or five of our benchriders foul out. Just be hyper-hyper- aggressive. I bet Metro has never had a team this year really take it to them like that--a lot have probably tried, but none with as much athletic ability as our Jacks. We might get beat by 40. Might win by 40. If we go down, let's go down swinging.

Go Rabbits!!!
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Jake Wenig didn't play as well in the NCC as he did in pre-conference schedule however it would sure be nice to have his range in the lineup. When he gets hot from outside the arc he is unstoppable! Our guards need to start shooting the ball better and our big people need to get more aggressive to the hoop. I would love to see Calvin Melaney get some more minutes in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
            Jake Wenig didn't play as well in the NCC as he did in pre-conference schedule however it would sure be nice to have his range in the lineup. When he gets hot from outside the arc he is unstoppable! Our guards need to start shooting the ball better and our big people need to get more aggressive to the hoop. I would love to see Calvin Melaney get some more minutes in the tournament.  
            I thought Jake broke his foot before the last USD and was done for the season. Was it not as bad as Coach Nagy said in the post game?

Go State!

Comment

He is out. It was lamenting how much we could use his outside shot this weekend.

Comment

Ah, got ya. I thought I might have missed something while I was in Las Vegas. Thanks for the clarification. I agree a hot shooting Wenig would have been an asset as we head into the NCAA Tournament. Lets hope someone heats up from the outside and the Big men show up to play, otherwise it will be a short dance.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  This Jackrabbit team might (at least when it was playing well) have as good a chance to beat Metro as anyone has had recently.

The difference in this year's Jacks team when playing well is that multiple players have the ability to hit the 3 point shot.  The difference when playing poorly is bad defensive intensity.

If the Jacks get by Northern (no given there...I remember well a regional final where the Wolves killed us from behind the line...I kept waiting for them to cool off in the second half, they never did, but I digress...) I think SDSU needs to sail into the game with a "let 'er rip on offense, get in their shorts on defense" attitude and really be aggressive for forty minutes.  Let four or five of our benchriders foul out.  Just be hyper-hyper- aggressive.  I bet Metro has never had a team this year really take it to them like that--a lot have probably tried, but none with as much athletic ability as our Jacks.  We might get beat by 40.  Might win by 40.  If we go down, let's go down swinging.

Go Rabbits!!!
                  I agree with this assesment and I think based on what Nagy has been saying he intends to send the Jacks out there with exactly this mentality. He continues to scold the players for being timid and not taking risks on offense.

I personaly feel that this team is at its best when they take shots early in the possesion, battle for boards and run at every opportunity. This tends to force opponents into an up-tempo game which should be in our favor.

The one big weakness year-after-year-after-year is our perimeter defense and free throw shooting. It has cost us the regional title at least 2 different times (NSU in 1998 and Metro in 2002) and most recently the games against USD and UNO. We are so proud of our rebounding margin (12, which is great) that we forget we are allowing teams to shoot 43% from the field and 38% from the 3-point line.

So, I agree, I think we should come out running and gunning on offense and play defense with an intensity that can't be rivaled by the opposition. NSU first and then on to Metro or Mesa St.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                    Granted, Jake is a streaky shooter and occasionally he gets hot.  However, he can't creat his own shot and he is a major liability on defense and on the boards.  I think Schantz, Moeller, and Giever can pick up the slack on the perimeter.

We need Green and NCC freshman of the year Beren (maybe this will boost his confidence) to establish some inside presence along with the veterans, Cerveny and Jones.  Hopefully, Melany can provide some muscle in short spurts.  The front court players need to shoot at least 65% from the F.T. line.  Gaurds need to shoot 75% plus.  Hopefully the officials allow us to be physical and let the teams play.  

I must say I like our chances, not based on this teams performance lately, but based on talent level and possibilities alone.  Hate to say it, but if this team doesn't show up and play its heart out we will be goin home on Saturday night.

Comment

Lets get ready to rumble. We knew we were going to play them sooner or later. I say sooner is better they like to trap lets see how good their legs are on back to back nights!

Lets Go Rabbits!

Comment

We're going to be playing USD again. I can feel it.

Look out Roadrunners...we ain't no Coyotes, and this ain't no Warner Brothers cartoon.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Filbert:

I hope we do get that match up with USD.  Let those jerks from Vermillion showup with their distasteful shirts, and we will hand it to them.

Unless our guys have a let down, it could happen. Metro seems unbelieveable.  I had thought that Luke Kendell was older than Calvin Melany but checking his bio he graduated from High school in 1999 and was born in 1981, only yesterday to me so I guess agewise he is legit.
                           I am always suspect of these interenational players as most have played on AAU and Olympic teams.  Its amazing those players that were thorns in our side back in 2002 are now seniors, so lets hope they are thinking about life after basketball when they are on the court tonight.

Good Luck Jacks, we need your best performance tonight.

Comment

Good luck to the Jacks. I think your fans are blind to the realities of what is coming next year for you but I hope you beat Metro State. I am never for a school that doesn't support its program at all. I would be interested to see how many metro fans there will be there. 300? Normally I pull for the NCC team but this year I am pulling for the Ne. team - UNK. 4 great coaches left and I don't use that term loosely either
                            In order I would rank them

1. dunlap - who can argue w/ his success and his teams peak at the right times. Just ask Kentucky Wesleyan about that
                            2. kropp/nagy tie
                            4. boots

Comment

I too do not fear this game. Why should we all the pressure is on Metro. They certainly should have a lot of confidence with the number of consecutive wins they have and playing on their home floor. I also think they are smart enough to realize the level of competition goes up significantly tonight. We beat Northern easily twice which was the champion of the NSIC a conference that Metro lost their two games too. I have to think they may be wondering are we this good or is the level of competition secured this gaudy record. I will put the Jacks non-conference and conference strength of schedule against any team in the country. I think if we take care of the ball against the press we can win this game and advance. The women took out the Regions #1 seed and now its time for the men to do the same!

Comment

Working...
                              X