Argus Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Article

For as much trash as Mr. Solari gets on this board (some deserved, but some undeserved), I thought we should at least post the link to a great article he wrote this weekend.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sa...article1.shtml

I hadn't seen this on the board yet, but if it was already posted i apologize.

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Re: Argus Article

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
    For as much trash as Mr. Solari gets on this board (some deserved, but some undeserved), I thought we should at least post the link to a great article he wrote this weekend.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sa...article1.shtml

I hadn't seen this on the board yet, but if it was already posted i apologize.
    I agree, kudos to Chris. I hope this balances out some of the views of others who post here. Chris is an objective and fair reporter without allegiances to any of the universities in the state. He is also intelligent (in my humble estimation) and I know he is well educated. I suspect that he will recognize the separation occuring between SDSU and those other universities. Only a moron wouldn't. Heck, even nccfan recognizes that he and his cronies are being left behind, he just can't deal with it intelligently or tactfully. I wonder where he went to school??
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Hey Jackmd, make up your mind. It's not hard, either you like him or you don't. Maybe you just follow what everyone else is saying?

If you've forgotten, here are some of your previous posts.

Jan 13th, 2004, 1:09pm

Here is a more accurate description of the game from the Omaha Herald. solari may want to review this, jackass.

Feb 5th, 2004, 9:02am

What does solari mean by "the most pleasing news for football purists in the state is the Jackrabbits have cemented a game with Augustana". What an idiot!! He should be more excited about the prospect of teams like Georgia Southern, Montana, Montana St, Valpo, Northern Iowa, etc...playing in Brookings, SD. A true football purist wants to see the best possible talent on a week in and week out basis. This sure as hell isn't Augustana, USD, etc.. Get a clue solari. Nice headline by the way, what a Jackass.

Mar 13th, 2004, 8:42am

I just posted a similar thread under "women's basketball". There truly is a slant to his writing and I have to believe it is encouraged by someone else. The same trend was present long before Chris arrived. For years, articles about high school sports, amatuer baseball, etc.. have favored southeast S.D.

Comment

Originally posted by pb
        Hey Jackmd, make up your mind.  It's not hard, either you like him or you don't.  Maybe you just follow what everyone else is saying?

If you've forgotten, here are some of your previous posts.

Jan 13th, 2004, 1:09pm

Here is a more accurate description of the game from the Omaha Herald. solari may want to review this, jackass.

Feb 5th, 2004, 9:02am

What does solari mean by "the most pleasing news for football purists in the state is the Jackrabbits have cemented a game with Augustana". What an idiot!! He should be more excited about the prospect of teams like Georgia Southern, Montana, Montana St, Valpo, Northern Iowa, etc...playing in Brookings, SD. A true football purist wants to see the best possible talent on a week in and week out basis. This sure as hell isn't Augustana, USD, etc.. Get a clue solari. Nice headline by the way, what a Jackass.

Mar 13th, 2004, 8:42am

I just posted a similar thread under "women's basketball". There truly is a slant to his writing and I have to believe it is encouraged by someone else. The same trend was present long before Chris arrived. For years, articles about high school sports, amatuer baseball, etc.. have favored southeast S.D.
        pb, your agenda is a poor one. Find something better to do then trying to discredit me. Chris and I have since corresponded regarding his writing in the Argus and some of my posts regarding those articles. It has been enlightening and I have changed my view about some of the things he writes. Chris is definitely a good person who wants to do his job right. This often means writing something that others don't agree with. What I said was premature, irresponsible, and in some ways embarassing. I let my emotions speak too loudly and for that I apologized to Chris.

As for your agenda, pb, continue if you must but I assure you its a waste of your time. Any conflicts I have with persons on this board or in any situation in life will be handled properly by myself. I sure don't need your help nor will I ever ask for it. Lets hear something about SDSU and the move to DI from you. Do you support the move or oppose it? Or is that to much to ask? Perhaps your one of these people who spends all their time and energy crticizing others for what they believe and support and therefore you have no strong convictions of your own. Or I suppose it could be the other way around. Let us know.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Chris Sorari went to Michigan State. I called him over a year ago, when SDSU was still debating the D1 move. I remember talking about how great it would be for the university to make the jump. He was in agreement. I have bashed Chris on a couple of occasions about SDSU negativity in his writing. He may easily be won over with some D1 schools coming to Brookings. I remember he said when he first got to Sioux Falls they had him covering Augie, he couldnt believe that constituted college basketball in the area, he said when he went to his first game at Frost Arena that the atmosphere was big time college basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

pb, your agenda is a poor one. Find something better to do then trying to discredit me.

You've waffled more than Bush about this issue. It's easy to say what's popular. pb is right. I'm a longtime reader, and the only time you don't complain is when the coverage from the Argus is so pathetically biased, you'd think it was FoxNews style of fair and balanced.

Comment

Frankly... Fox news is fair and balanced... but last time I checked this isnt a political board.

Comment

Roger,

Take the time to register or go away. I hate drive by posters. > While you are at it please let us know who you support, because it is clear who you are against.

Comment

Roger ... long time reader? Come on and join the fun, show your stripes, or get the hell off. A guy who is watchig Fox ought to be more opinionated. You need to start making some noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger

You've waffled more than Bush about this issue. It's easy to say what's popular. pb is right. I'm a longtime reader, and the only time you don't complain is when the coverage from the Argus is so pathetically biased, you'd think it was FoxNews style of fair and balanced.
                    Complicated discussions are probably confusing and intimidating for Roger and pb so they would just as soon not get involved. I'll try to clearly explain my position on the Argus although this may confuse the "numb"-minded.

IN MY OPINION, in general the Argus is biased towards SE South Dakota. At first I believed this was influencing Chris' reporting about SDSU and the move to DI. So, I contacted Chris and we discussed this privately. He made it clear to me that he in know way feels any bias towards any part of S.D. I believe him and I now consider him a pleasant acquaintance and if time allows I would like to establish a true friendship. Unfortunately, my current relationship with Chris does not change my overall opinion of the Argus. From what I am seeing some other people share my opinion about the Argus. pb and Roger do not. Fine with me. I hope this in some way clears up the ugly situation that has developed thanks to pb. Lets talk about something more productive.

Comment

Roger:  "waffled more than Bush"  ROFL, you lead an interesting fantasy life, I see.  This isn't a politics board though...if you want to discuss find me on Free Republic.

The Argus is still stuck in the old D-II mentality that's been their comfortable existence since college sports began to be played in South Dakota.  They haven't quite figured out that their world has changed.

When SDSU is out there playing Butler, Fresno State, Montana State, and other even more recognizable big names and Augie and USD are playing Upper Iowa and Truman State, they'll start understanding what has happened.  It may take a couple of years, but I think the process has already started.

In 20 years, you'll see that a USD freshman will be saying that their favorite college team is SDSU, like a UNO freshman today is a Huskers fan first.

(Actually, I do think that USD will be D-I by then too.  They won't be able to stand being so obviously the #2 university in the state, even though we all know that they are.  SDSU moves up because it's the right thing for the university to do...USD will move up because SDSU did.)

It bears repeating...this move isn't about next year, or even the next five years.  It's about the next 20 years.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Filbert, you a Freeper too? I'd have never thought I'd run into a fellow member over here.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak
                          Filbert, you a Freeper too?  I'd have never thought I'd run into a fellow member over here.
                          Yah, I refer to FR as my 'right wing wacko site' to friends. I mostly lurk over there--posting rarely. Like all Internet sites you have to have your BS filter set to "high", but as a news source it's better than most TV news channels, imho.

And now, back to Rabbits and my point in my previous post here...I'd be delighted to see a one or two NCAA Tournament teams on the schedule. Nevada, Eastern Washington, or even Northern Iowa would be a good start. Illinois-Chicago? Illinois? Wisconsin? C'mon, you big guys, give lil' ol' SDSU a game...

We wrestled Princeton last year...how 'bout some hoops, Tigers?
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

While we're talking Argus articles, Solari wrote another good one about Steph Bolden's "little" sister who's in New Orleans trying to get another national championship for the family trophy case...

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayfeature.shtml
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                            X